Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few minutes to go biking on Saturday amidst this bizarre weather, so I headed to Caledonia where I thought I might be able to avoid the muck. The trails were a little soggy, but not too bad. However, twice, I found myself examining the boards of some of the wooden bridges. Holy crap, those things are slippery! There is no real point to this post, just glad to have been outside for a couple of hours. But, beware of wet bridges made of wood.
 

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
Joined
·
169 Posts
I also took a trip up to Caledonia..Saw TONS of riders when I was going thru Michaux..It was very muddy and slippy at Caledonia..Hey Ozmaan do you mean these bridges?:thumbsup:

I parked in the gravel lot beside the redlight intersection..When I was pulling in there were some guys leaving..The one looked like a FS Dark Green bike...I rode there for about 2 hours then left to hit up Gifford Pinchot State Park..The lake trail there is awesome.They also have 2 awesome Disc Golf Courses. The trail has some nice climbs and fast singles and some nice rock ridin areas..It was actually somewhat dry there on the higher parts of the trail and some parts didnt even look wet..1 pic of the trail looking down and 1 of the ride! Oh and the bike was covered in mud from Caledonia so I gave it a rinse down before Pinchot..

 

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
Rub it in... Lol, I had plans to go out Saturday AND Sunday but made it neither. So mad... Haha. The moss on those bridges is horribly slippery!

Jdel, any more problems with flats?
 

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
Joined
·
169 Posts
Datalogger said:
Rub it in... Lol, I had plans to go out Saturday AND Sunday but made it neither. So mad... Haha. The moss on those bridges is horribly slippery!

Jdel, any more problems with flats?
I actually have only had one more since that one ride..It was from a staple of all things..But since I got the new wheels and kevlar tires havent had a problem..Lets hope I have better luck with my TranceX3
 

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
JDel said:
I actually have only had one more since that one ride..It was from a staple of all things..But since I got the new wheels and kevlar tires havent had a problem..Lets hope I have better luck with my TranceX3
Good to hear. You really need to go tubeless, it is the single biggest advance in MTB technology. I absolutely LOVE it. The increased grip is absolutely amazing, plus NO PINCH FLATS. That alone is worth it!

Went to Caledonia today, things had dried out a little. At least the bridge was dry!
 

Attachments

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
Joined
·
169 Posts
Datalogger said:
Good to hear. You really need to go tubeless, it is the single biggest advance in MTB technology. I absolutely LOVE it. The increased grip is absolutely amazing, plus NO PINCH FLATS. That alone is worth it!

Went to Caledonia today, things had dried out a little. At least the bridge was dry!
Awesome pics :thumbsup: Looks kinda familiar:D
I was kinda confused by the trail..In some places there were signs that said "foot traffic only" but there were tire marks in the mud EVERYWHERE!
 

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
94M400 said:
That looks like a great time! Is that North Central Pa, off of Rt 80?
These pictures were actually taken in Caledonia State Park, which is located at the intersection of Rt. 30 and Rt. 233.

JDel said:
Awesome pic :thumbsup: Looks kinda familiar:D
I was kinda confused by the trail..In some places there were signs that said "foot traffic only" but there were tire marks in the mud EVERYWHERE!
Yeah, "Ramble Trail" is marked as Foot Traffic only, although I have been riding there for over a decade and have never been hassled by anyone. I'm always courteous and yield to hikers though. They have redesigned some of Ramble Trail in the last year or two, if you notice some of the trail has grey stone-that is the new part.
 

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
Joined
·
169 Posts
Datalogger said:
Yeah, "Ramble Trail" is marked as Foot Traffic only, although I have been riding there for over a decade and have never been hassled by anyone. I'm always courteous and yield to hikers though. They have redesigned some of Ramble Trail in the last year or two, if you notice some of the trail has grey stone-that is the new part.
Yea I have ridden there acouple times and no one has said anything..It seems they dont really care about bikers on the trails as much as they do horses..I went for a "cool down lap" on the stone road between laurel and fuller and there were guys on horses..Luckily on my way down the paved part of the street I saw a Ranger..Told him and he took off like a bat out of hell to catch them :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JDel said:
I also took a trip up to Caledonia..Saw TONS of riders when I was going thru Michaux..It was very muddy and slippy at Caledonia..Hey Ozmaan do you mean these bridges?:thumbsup:
Yep. Those be the ones (and ones like them). I'm pretty sure if you look closely, I might have burned through the moss on one or two of them as my rear tire spun out from under me and slid across the bridge. The first time, I wasn't expecting it AT ALL, and I ended up with my torso hanging over the water...
 

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Datalogger said:
Yeah, "Ramble Trail" is marked as Foot Traffic only, although I have been riding there for over a decade and have never been hassled by anyone. I'm always courteous and yield to hikers though. They have redesigned some of Ramble Trail in the last year or two, if you notice some of the trail has grey stone-that is the new part.
Ok, I'm confused by this logic....

I posted some pics of a trail ride in the mud/puddles (public woods) and got my chops busted by the PC Trail Police...now you guys are talking about riding on an actual wet trail that is clearly marked "Foot Traffic Only" and no one has a problem with it and it's OK because you are courteous to the people who are "allowed" to use it?:shocked:

Steve
 

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
Joined
·
169 Posts
eastcoaststeve said:
Ok, I'm confused by this logic....

I posted some pics of a trail ride in the mud/puddles (public woods) and got my chops busted by the PC Trail Police...now you guys are talking about riding on an actual wet trail that is clearly marked "Foot Traffic Only" and no one has a problem with it and it's OK because you are courteous to the people who are "allowed" to use it?:shocked:

Steve
These trails were not flooded like the ones in your pics you posted..Most of the Michaux regulars are very courteous to the hikers on the trail..Its not marked Foot Traffic Only all over the trail just in one or 2 places which are actually the most flooded parts which I walk my bike thru anyways..I always check for MTB tire tracks before I ride on a trail im unsure of and im sure Datalogger does the same..And im sure everyone that does ride it doesnt go when it has almost a foot of water or more on the trail:rolleyes: :confused:Most of the guys that ride Michaux on the regular including myself and Datalogger and many others actually maintain the trails and respect them..
 

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
JDel said:
These trails were not flooded like the ones in your pics you posted..Most of the Michaux regulars are very courteous to the hikers on the trail..Its not marked Foot Traffic Only all over the trail just in one or 2 places which are actually the most flooded parts which I walk my bike thru anyways..I always check for MTB tire tracks before I ride on a trail im unsure of and im sure Datalogger does the same..And im sure everyone that does ride it doesnt go when it has almost a foot of water or more on the trail:rolleyes: :confused:Most of the guys that ride Michaux on the regular including myself and Datalogger and many others actually maintain the trails and respect them..
Jdel Quote: Yea I have ridden there acouple times and no one has said anything..It seems they dont really care about bikers on the trails as much as they do horses..I went for a "cool down lap" on the stone road between laurel and fuller and there were guys on horses..Luckily on my way down the paved part of the street I saw a Ranger..Told him and he took off like a bat out of hell to catch them

Ok, I re-read your post and it sounds like you were "riding not walking".

The post above yours also mentions lots of tracks in the mud...is that ok if you "respect" the trails (what makes you think I don't "respect" where I ride?). Is it OK to ride a closed trail just because someone else rode there before you?

Why did you take pleasure in busting the horse riders when you were also in violation?...maybe they "respect and maintain" the trails too.

I'm not trying to be a jack ass, but I can easily say I'm not a hypocrite.

Steve
 

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
Joined
·
169 Posts
eastcoaststeve said:
Jdel Quote: Yea I have ridden there acouple times and no one has said anything..It seems they dont really care about bikers on the trails as much as they do horses..I went for a "cool down lap" on the stone road between laurel and fuller and there were guys on horses..Luckily on my way down the paved part of the street I saw a Ranger..Told him and he took off like a bat out of hell to catch them

Ok, I re-read your post and it sounds like you were "riding not walking".

The post above yours also mentions lots of tracks in the mud...is that ok if you "respect" the trails (what makes you think I don't "respect" where I ride?). Is it OK to ride a closed trail just because someone else rode there before you?

Why did you take pleasure in busting the horse riders when you were also in violation?...maybe they "respect and maintain" the trails too.

I'm not trying to be a jack ass, but I can easily say I'm not a hypocrite.

Steve
First off dont assume what a statement I made means..And if u ride the area on the regular u would know that where I saw the horses is almost 15 miles from the posted pics above..Ive spoken to numerous rangers and have even wrote letters to land managers of the area to maintain trails..If I felt like anything on that trail was caused by MTB's I would personally fix it..The way I ride looks to be totally different from what u ride..Im not blazing down these trails..slamming on my rear and dragging it, riding thru "flooded areas" or puddle hopping or anything like that..Im not saying its ok to go all over the place and ride trails that say "foot traffic only" but u must realize that alot of places in PA are now MTB accessible that werent before..Some Rangers in some parks are "ok" with riding on "foot traffic only" trails..Horses are the major problem when it comes to tearing up or not respecting a trail and humans are a close second..If u ride the area alot u have more respect for it..I found myself CLEARING most of the trail of big sticks and fallen dead wood..U dont see alot of people doing that for FREE..Its part of being a respectful rider..On and off the saddle..
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top