Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in Phoenix this week, and I stop by one of the LBS - the locally famous Slippery Pig. I've been here before, and these guys always have good stuff, treat you right, and make visitng pleasurable....but what a difference a year makes. Man, SP is REALLY pushing the 29ers now. On the floor I saw multiple GF Rigs, GF 293, an Astrix Monk, Surly Karate Monkeys, Ventana El Captian, Moots Mooto-x, Voodoo Aizans, Konas, and a few On-One Inbreds. Niners damn near everywhere....well except an actual 'Niner'.

A friggin 29er museum they have there now.

Damn, Phoenix.....I never knew. Phoenix is a major city with nice airport....damn if you are on the fence about which frame to get and want to see a ton of 29er bikes, perhaps this is a reason enough to travel there. That and the 70F weather, of course. ;-)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey that's where I got mine . . .

Yeah, Erik (owner of SP) really likes the 29ers. He rides an El Cap and 29er SS (not sure but might be Vulture). He also built this up for me: My Christmas/Anniversary/Birthday/You ain't getting anything else for a while/ gift: XXL Leviathan

I'd highly recommend the Slippery Pig if you're in the Phoenix area.

Attachments

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Wowzers.
Looks like you built that up right!
I don't think you will be thinking about any other presents while you are railing on that beauty. :D

OGG

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LJintheUK said:
Man, I've been looking at vids of Arizona trails here lately (the wet and miserable British winter depresses me :( ). And there's a 29er friendly LBS too! Hmm... Holiday ideas...
But your beer is better, much better. ;-) (and AZ has good beer too.....not knocking it, so no flames, puleeeeze!).

FWIW the riding is just awesome in the metro areas this time of year in AZ. SP, or any LBS could hook you up with maps, etc. There is a book by PaulB - who posts here on mtbr.com too...nice book, but sort of written for the begginner as the listed rides are short and leaves out info for epic options.

·
Registered
262 Posts
LJintheUK said:
Man, I've been looking at vids of Arizona trails here lately (the wet and miserable British winter depresses me :( ). And there's a 29er friendly LBS too! Hmm... Holiday ideas...
British Air, direct daily from Heathrow to Phoenix... A ten hour flight and there are more trails than you can throw a stick at within 30 minutes drive. Our Winters are great, but I'd gladly trade your summers for ours. ;)

Slippery Pig is a great shop. Very 29'er friendly. I just picked up my Inbred 29'er from them yesterday- Yee-haw ! :D

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
What Size?

crashing_arizona said:
Yeah, Erik (owner of SP) really likes the 29ers. He rides an El Cap and 29er SS (not sure but might be Vulture). He also built this up for me: My Christmas/Anniversary/Birthday/You ain't getting anything else for a while/ gift: XXL Leviathan

I'd highly recommend the Slippery Pig if you're in the Phoenix area.
Just curious what size Lev that is and how tall you are? I've got a Kona UNIT 2-9 SS and have been toying with the idea of ditching my 26" F/S ride for a Lev...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moondoggy said:
British Air, direct daily from Heathrow to Phoenix... A ten hour flight and there are more trails than you can throw a stick at within 30 minutes drive. Our Winters are great, but I'd gladly trade your summers for ours. ;)

Slippery Pig is a great shop. Very 29'er friendly. I just picked up my Inbred 29'er from them yesterday- Yee-haw ! :D
Small world...I was there with my road bike when you paid for your Inbred. Ha!

Looks like you are building up a fun rig.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Timo said:
Small world...I was there with my road bike when you paid for your Inbred. Ha!

Looks like you are building up a fun rig.
TImo,

Was is it the sleek black carbon number ? It is a small world.

The inbred is my first 29'er, and it looks like it will be a blast. I have'nt actually ridden it yet. Being a quasi- retro grouch, I use V-brakes. I got home and proceeded to build it up when I discovered that the Reba doesn't have canti studs. Rockshox is trying to force folks into using discs apparently. Oh what a coincidence? Sram owns Avid as well....(End rant) I contemplated going with a rigid fork in order to use my V brakes, but I'm not sure my mid life shoulders can take the punishment. I capitulated to the corporate Gods (Grrr) and had Eric order a disc hub so that I can run the Reba. It may still end up rigid. Long story short I have not ridden it yet. I feel like a seven year old on Christmas morning...

Eric says that I won't want to go back to a 26'er after the 29 experience. I suspect he's right, but I'm in denial and can't bear the thought of my IF deluxe gathering dust... :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lev Size

cycljunkie said:
Just curious what size Lev that is and how tall you are? I've got a Kona UNIT 2-9 SS and have been toying with the idea of ditching my 26" F/S ride for a Lev...
It's an XXL. ETT(25.25) SO(~33") Geometry details are on the Lenz Website. I'm 6'7" 215# with a 38" inseam, but my arms are on the shorter side. Fits me very well with a 120mm stem. If it's in the ballpark for size, we can arrange a test ride. If not, Erik had a 19" Astrix Monk built up in the shop last time I was there. He also has a 21" El Cap you could try out.

cheers,
Sam

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
moondoggy said:
TImo,

The inbred is my first 29'er, and it looks like it will be a blast. I have'nt actually ridden it yet. Being a quasi- retro grouch, I use V-brakes. I got home and proceeded to build it up when I discovered that the Reba doesn't have canti studs. Rockshox is trying to force folks into using discs apparently. Oh what a coincidence? Sram owns Avid as well....(End rant) I contemplated going with a rigid fork in order to use my V brakes, but I'm not sure my mid life shoulders can take the punishment. I capitulated to the corporate Gods (Grrr) and had Eric order a disc hub so that I can run the Reba. It may still end up rigid. Long story short I have not ridden it yet. I feel like a seven year old on Christmas morning...

Eric says that I won't want to go back to a 26'er after the 29 experience. I suspect he's right, but I'm in denial and can't bear the thought of my IF deluxe gathering dust... :(
Sorry for the hi-jack, but try your 29'er rigid. You will be supprised how smooth the bike rides. Just takes a ride or two to adapt. I went from squishy fork to rigid fork this year, and don't really see myself ever really wanting a squishy fork again.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
moondoggy said:
TImo,

Hey MD -

Yeah it was me...but the frame is actually anodized al (Titus Drop-U Road), but with a whole lot of carbon parts on it.

Interesting on the REBA...but not totally suprising. Can you order a REBA with v-brake mounts, or do they all come disk only? Seems odd.

A buddy built up an Inbred for his girlfriend and she just loves it. You'll have to post some pics once you complete the build.

Matt

·
Registered
37 Posts
sma in ahwatukee

The guys at South Mountain Cycles are also a bunch of 29er converts. One of the guys loaned me his KM while mine was on order...very cool. Not many shops stock a combination of KMs, Soma juices, One-one, and Salsa dos niners. Gotta love Phoenix.

·
Registered
262 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Sorry for the hi-jack, but try your 29'er rigid. You will be supprised how smooth the bike rides. Just takes a ride or two to adapt. I went from squishy fork to rigid fork this year, and don't really see myself ever really wanting a squishy fork again.
Not a hi-jack at all. I had considered rigid originally (it's a SS) and then went with the Reba. Your post got me to reconsider and voila- I went back and got the matching rigid fork with a Exi-wolf to help smooth things out. Should be fun. Thanks for the rigid suggestion. :p Taking it for the obligatory spin around the yard was sweeet. It handles so well, I can't wait to get it out on the trail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.