Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I've just finished trawling though all the back threads on this forum. It's fantastic and a real credit to rumpfy and others.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions about one of my '94 Slingshots, which I'm attempting to restore. I have two - one I ride every day (below), the other is a frame with some parts.

This is proving to be a difficult project here (Australia), where Slings of any vintage are thin on the ground. I've only ever seen one other mtb on the road. Slingshot aren't too keen on answering emails either.

I'm after the spring retainer - if that's what it's called - that u-shaped stainless steel part that the spring sits in and is attached to the frame under the head tube. Mine broke recently after many years of use. Luckily I had a spare - from my second frame. But to restore *that* I need a new retainer.

I could also use a set of new bushes, the ones that sit at either end of the coil. Any ideas?

I'd also love to have a set of stickers, preferably from that era if not that particular year. I'm probably being optimistic but hey... :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
M-double! What's up!?
Long time no speak!

Yeah...Slingshot isn't always the best in getting back to you in regards to emails. I don't think they're too interested in the oldies, and would rather you just buy new frames.

I don't see why current model bushings and that metal 'U' clip wouldn't work on your Slings. They seem simple parts.

Modern decals should be easy to get.
Way back when I think you and I discussed the vinyl replicas I had made. Not a correct exactly...but the size and font is correct. I never had any 'officially' made though...

I don't know if that helps or not...

Welcome! :D

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rumpfy

I've dithered and changed my mind about what to do with my second Slingshot for ages now. After talking to you in late '03 I investigated the Hippie Tech option for forks. It was a good option, too, but a little expensive for what I had in mind (ie essentially a commuter bike).

Finally, I've decided to do just one Slingshot up with some of my existing bits and others I've bought on eBay and ride it. Then the second frame can be a longer term project. I just couldn't bear to take the complete bike off the road - I like riding it too much.

I take the approach that as far as possible I like to use period correct parts (if not exactly correct for that model) on the bike I ride each day. I try to balance this with using decent modern brakes and, when drivetrain parts wear out, replace them with new stuff (I used a Blackspire after wearing out the original White Industries middle ring). It's not too hard to keep a vintage bike going like this - even here, where many of the older bits are scarce. It seems to me a lot of the high end mid '90s stuff lasts a lot better than current gear anyway. The original XTR rear mech (M900?) on the aqua Sling (pictured) is still perfect. Bottom line is it's all good fun and I'll do whatever I can to keep this bike on the road.

I'd like to source a rigid fork for my other frame actually. A real Slingshot one, like a Quiring, not a 1" threadless cheapie.

It's looking like I'll need to resort to the telephone and call Slingshot up about the bushes and U-clip.

You did get some stickers made? On your beautiful black Sling did you use the repro vinyl or that NOS set I remember you saying you had? I'm definitely interested in repro.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.