Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody do the conversion? I've got a late 90's frame and was wondering what fork would be an easy swap. Did a search. Might be out of luck since I am working with a 1" steerer. Original fork was a Tange 420mm axel to crown. Would like to run a disc brake.

Thanks

·
highly visible
3,271 Posts
With a 420mm original fork, you might just be able to get it to work. With a 1" steerer you'll probably be needing a custom fork if you want to go disc, and if it hasn't already been mentioned this will obviously be rigid only: no room for suspension unless you really want to slack the geometry out ridiculously. You'll want a shorter fork than 420mm though, because the bigger wheels will raise the axle by about 30mm. Cloxxki may know for sure, but I think it's still possible for a 400-410mm fork to clear smaller 29" tires.

Actually, come to think of it I think the Dimension 'cross disc fork will just barely clear some of the smaller 29" tires (WTB Mutano for sure, maybe Bonti XR 1.8, Conti Vapor or Panaracer Fire Cross) -- and that fork is available with a 1" steerer last I checked.

Would be a cool conversion to keep a sweet old 'shot out on the trails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts