Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok some questions about slime sealant. I have been searching the forums on the topic and have found a fair bit of information.
I am currently running slime in tubes and it's worked perfectly only I have heavy tubes, a lot of slime therefore a noticeable amount of weight.
Does the thickness (weight) of a tube affect the sealing properties of slime?
Also do you think I can run slime at low pressures and if I get a pinchflat slime will seal it?
I have a pair of stans rimstrips, has anybody had experience with using slime (either for tyres, tubes or a mix of both) as a replacement for stans? (my rims and tyres on NON-tubeless).
Or should I go down the homemade brew?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
From my experience - no sealant is effective against pinch flats.
My guess is, the thicker the tubes are, the more effective sealant must be. Also, the higher the pressure, the better sealant works.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you have rim strips give them a try. I would just use stans sealant. It works great.
you will most likely need a compressor to inflate your tires initally. You can run lower pressures using Stans. You can use your existing set up with the stans system.
You might want to check the stans site for extra bits of info on what tires to use with there
system.

·
A Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used stans and it was great when it worked but I ripped the sidewall of a tyre and the valve leaked on the other (probably my bad). Anyway I still would go back to stans solution if it was cheap! Here in NZ the cheapest I've found is $50 for 470ml. To expensive for me. The slime however is only $30 for 1L or $15 for half that. Does anyone here in NZ knows where to get stans fo cheap?

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
I am using Stans sealant & strips at the moment, have had no dramas to date (6months), even sealed a few good size (2-3mm) holes in tyre casings from pinch flatting on stairs at low pressure (I did need to hold my finger on the biggest hole for a minute or so to give the sealant a chance to coagulate). I have heard that slime tubeless sealant is better at sealing big holes but dries up a bit faster. Apparently some people mix 50/50 stans/slime to get the best of both worlds. Either way, you should ditch the tubes asap; once you go tubeless you won't go back.:thumbsup:

·
A Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i've heard that slime doesn't seal fast enough for converting to tubeless but if i put a bit of stans in would this accommodate for the slow sealing of slime and work?

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
2 different slimes

tiggles said:
Yeah i've heard that slime doesn't seal fast enough for converting to tubeless but if i put a bit of stans in would this accommodate for the slow sealing of slime and work?
There are 2 versions of slime, 1 for tubes, the other for tubeless. If you are using the tubeless one it will work fine, as mentioned above probably seals faster than stans, especially on big holes. Make sure you get the right one. Apparently Geax also does a tubeless sealant (as do Bontrager), see if you can get these a bit cheaper than the stans.

·
Where's my funny hat?
455 Posts
tiggles said:
So does slime (tubeless) work as well as stans in a tubeless conversion? (remember I have stans rimstrips)
I very much doubt that the type of rimstrips you have will in any way effect the performance of your chosen sealant, and vice versa. I haven't used slime tubeless, but as mentioned earlier it seems to work equally well, although slightly differently. There was a thread on this topic about a week ago, try doing a search to get other user's first-hand reports on the various sealant options available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.