Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
not really a noob
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used Slime tire sealant? does it work good? ive had 3 flats this season and i want them to stop.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
hardcoe newbie said:
has anyone used Slime tire sealant? does it work good? ive had 3 flats this season and i want them to stop.
Haven't used it, but the stuff works. Depending on the kind of flats. It won't work on blowouts.

What kind of flats are you getting? Punctures, snakebites, blowouts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
slime works great on thorns or any small puncture, like tlg said it wont help for blowouts, but where we ride it is a definate must, our trails have tons of mesquite , cactus and such.

·
Registered
40 Posts
to apply it you have to take out the valve stem and squeeze or pump (depends on what kind you get) it in to your tube, after that put the stem back in air it up and spin the tire to let it spread. also, here at the wal-mart they sell tubes that already have slime in them, i'm sure you can get them other places to.

·
I liked the old *****
218 Posts
Did for me . . .

I went back to DH tubes and slimed them ~11 months ago, and haven't had a flat since. The reason I did it was to stop the 1 flat a ride in thorn area I ride early in season. It just so happens, I haven't flatted in other rocky areas as well. Yeah, yeah - I've been saying this for months and I'm due for a flat . . .

I ran DH tubes without Slime prior, and had the occasional flat, so I'd attribute some of my luck to the tubes, and some to Slime. I'm not sure how the stuff would help with snakebites/pinch flats, but it seems to.

I went to schrader when doing so. Warning: don't put tire guage on after sliming without expecting to clean out the guage right after - goo dries in there and trashes guage. I run ~22-34lbs on Mich HotS and 24.1 currently, ran White Tigers earlier.

When changing tires, I have noticed thorns through tube - have to removed them and patch, but no flats. It also seems to help keep air in schrader valves a bit, since I've gone over a month without adding air.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
hardcoe newbie said:
can you put it in presta tubes??
slime works for thorns and small holes. no doubt about it.

you can't apply in presta, that I know of, but you can
buy pre-slimed presta tubes.

the air pressure actually needs to be within spec, if you push
the air pressure, the slime stops working as well since the tube
is stretched ....I have been told, and have found good advice, that
if you apply slime yourself, to mix in a bit of water to dilute so
that it covers inside of tube evenly.

any body who lives/rides in the desert MUST run something like
this.

as for prefilled tubes, I have tried most, and find the slime brand the best...

they are heavy, but without a sealant in the tube, flats happen almost daily
in the desert......with a sealant, I can go weeks or even months without
a flat...

I have a 29, amongst others, and had to drill the rim to
acccept schraeder swo that I could run slime...

fwiw..

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
RyBread said:
-higher air pressure and ride smoother-

slime is heavy, you don't really need it
Ummm, what exactly does higher air pressure do to prevent thorns? And higher pressure, at the cost of traction, isn't feasable for everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.