Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out on the trails today and got a flat about 1 mile in.
found the problem, it was a 1 inch long thorn :/ Freekin biggest thorn ive ever seen, so ofcourse i see it when its in my tube ><

So is using tubes that have slime in them a good thing? or is there downsides that i am un aware of?

If i pull a big thorn out of my tire will the slime fix it up and remove the need to replace it or will it just be good enough to get back to my car with?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Slime is great for areas with thorns, cactus, etc. Generally you won't even have to stop for a thorn with slimed tubes, but if you pull it out you might need to spin the wheel a while for the slime to stop the leak.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*Icarus* said:
I would reccomend buying some stan's to put in your tubes. It is ment for tubeless but works twice as well as regular slime in tubes.
Yea but unless i go special order tubes where the presta adapter can screw off leaving a hole, i doubt id be able to get it in :p

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Krause said:
So is using tubes that have slime in them a good thing? or is there downsides that i am un aware of?
Slime adds a bit of weight, but I think it's worth it. I ride in central Arizona amongst the cacti. I use slime tubes and have had very few flats. I usually manage to make a slime tube last as long as the tire that I put it in. When I replace the tire, I replace the tube too because it's usually full of holes by that point.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Krause said:
Just out on the trails today and got a flat about 1 mile in.
found the problem, it was a 1 inch long thorn :/ Freekin biggest thorn ive ever seen, so ofcourse i see it when its in my tube ><

If i pull a big thorn out of my tire will the slime fix it up and remove the need to replace it or will it just be good enough to get back to my car with?
Slime is great. What it does is allow you to continue riding even if you get a big thorn in your tire. As soon as you pull that thorn out though you will probably need to patch it. The slime will sometimes fill the hole but I don't think it's fool proof.

I only run slime now. One thorn ruins the ride but not with slime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i actually used a slime tube from wal mart for quite some time. it only poped cause i ran it at like 65 psi and rode hard, i looked at the tube afterwards and it had a few punctures in it and the slime held it! then i rode for one hour and poped 4 regular tubes...im a fan

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
As mentioned, about the only down-side of using slime is weight. You add a an ounce or two per tire with the stuff, which can be significant when you build up a sub-20 ounce wheel. I'm ready to use slime whenever I really need it, but have yet to get a flat in 2 years of riding. I change my tires on a regular basis, and change tubes at that time, and I stay on the trails - which are manicured pretty well. Most importantly, I run Panaracer Fire XC's on my bike. These suckers are bullet-proof (ok, maybe not) and have strong side-walls and resist punctures VERY well. They are approx. the weight of lighter, but more fragile, tires + slime (last set were 630G).

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
ccaddy said:
In what department do you guys find Slime in Wal Mart ?
Is that a trick question? It's in the bicycle department with the tubes and tires.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
On the level .
Here in Canda , I've never seen it in our "Wally's" .
I didn't know if it would be in automotive or trailer sections .
The bike departments here only have "kiddie" stuff for bikes .
Streamers , baskets , etc .
Hardly anything of quality to use on bikes of our level .

I shall check it out next time in there .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.