Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
singletrack junkie
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Slikfit racks for 20mm forks... anybody own one?

see them here:
http://www.slikfit.com/

I recently entered the world of 20mm forks with a rock shox pike, which uses their "maxle" (no tool wheel removal) quick-release system.

So I am in the market for a new fork-mount roof top rack. The Fataxle looks like a much better option than using a hurricane forkup along with my existing Yakima Steelhead for a rooftop rack.

I am seriously considering their "fataxle" (no trays/straps included) for $69 a piece, and using my existing yakima trays and straps. I assume this is what they had in mind when they decided to sell just the front fork mount by itself... but I would like to get this verified by someone who owns one.

Can anyone that uses one vouch for their quailty (or lack of), ease of use, and ergonomics of their products ?
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
Not that this matters to you.
I designed the "Fork Up" to be a universal fit, to fit onto any fork mounted rack system. It was designed so that you can use it your rack, as well as someone else's rack. With the other systems, such as the "Slikfit" it works for you, but if your riding buddies dont have a compatible system that fits your fork, youre driving!
Over the years, the Fork Up has been around 10 years, we heard some criticism, ie: you have to remove the front wheel, it cost too much, I dont like the colors they come in, etc...
but its a great part that so many people have thanked us and all of the magazines have praised. The one thing that sets the Fork Up apart from the competion is that we offer a mount for just about any fork on the market. I recommend that every person that has a 20mm, Lefty, Foes, Specialized, Maverick or the old QR20 forks should have one in case your bike wont fit onto a friends rack.

By the way, I sold Hurricane in 2003, but I still do some consulting for them. Look for some pretty cool componenets coming soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,849 Posts
Hurricane Jeff said:
Not that this matters to you.
I designed the "Fork Up" to be a universal fit, to fit onto any fork mounted rack system. It was designed so that you can use it your rack, as well as someone else's rack. With the other systems, such as the "Slikfit" it works for you, but if your riding buddies dont have a compatible system that fits your fork, youre driving!
Over the years, the Fork Up has been around 10 years, we heard some criticism, ie: you have to remove the front wheel, it cost too much, I dont like the colors they come in, etc...
but its a great part that so many people have thanked us and all of the magazines have praised. The one thing that sets the Fork Up apart from the competion is that we offer a mount for just about any fork on the market. I recommend that every person that has a 20mm, Lefty, Foes, Specialized, Maverick or the old QR20 forks should have one in case your bike wont fit onto a friends rack.

By the way, I sold Hurricane in 2003, but I still do some consulting for them. Look for some pretty cool componenets coming soon.
Yeah, it makes better sense to just use a 20mm adapter on a QR rack, rather than spending more $$ for a 20mm-specific rack that can't be adapted for a buddy's QR fork.
 

·
singletrack junkie
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the deal on that...

fsrxc said:
Yeah, it makes better sense to just use a 20mm adapter on a QR rack, rather than spending more $$ for a 20mm-specific rack that can't be adapted for a buddy's QR fork.
I am the last of our band of brothers to switch to a 20mm fork. All my buds use upright racks, so it's not a problem carrying carrying a bike with either type of fork on their cars. I plan to keep my yakima upright in the center (for the random rider that does have a standard QR) , along with (possibly) 2 slikfits on the outside.

I am sure a fork-up works well, but (no offense Hurricanejeff), using an adapter seems hokey to me. Just another hunk of odd-shaped metal you have to lug around with you, worry about it denting/scratching things (helmets, plastic bits on car's interior), getting ripped off if you leave it on the rack while riding, of just plain loosing it.

The way the Pike's 20mm QR is designed, my feeling is that it wouldn't be any more cumbersome to load onto a slikfit than it would be to load a standard QR equiped bike onto a Yakima steelhead

..... OR WOULD IT?

STILL WAITING FOR FEEDBACK ON A SLIKFIT!!!
 

·
singletrack junkie
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finally - a review of the slikfit mounts:

After a few requests, and a summer of using these, I feel I can now do a review of the Slikfit fataxle here.

First of all, I purchased a pair of the the "fataxle" mounts, which basically is just the head of the rack. This is the cheapest option, but you need to use your existing trays (yakima /thule / rocky mounts or whatever you have) and just swap the new slikfit head on. They also offer a "fataxle combo" that includes the wheel tray & strap that are designed for oversize DH tires. My largest tire, a maxxis minion 2.5 it about the max width that my yakima wheel tray will hold.

How it works: I feel that these things were designed with the Rock Shox maxle system in mind. Remove your front wheel, insert axle back in your fork (no tools with a maxle) and mount your bike. Your 20mm axle is securely clamped between the upper and lower halves. (see pictures) Once the jaws are closed, it will not open back up without pressing the release button that is opposite of the key hole in the lock. I felt totally comfortable transporting bikes without having to lock them.
Note that I do not have my racks mounted how yakima would recomend, my round bar is "floating", and only held in place by the 2 faxles, and provides some rigidy by tying the 2 heads together. It also gives me a place to attach my wind deflector.

The Good: Filled a niche I was looking for - A fork mounted rack for use with 20mm forks. Secure & lockable. Reasonable price, especially if you can use your existing trays. Bikes don't lean or sway at all, which gets to be a problem with upright mounts holding a heavy DH bike, especialy when you enjoy a "spirited" drive to the trailhead.

The Bad: Probably could have been designed to be a bit more aero. When mounted, they have about 4" of vertical serface compared to about an inch on my old Yakima steelhead. You do have to re-insert your axle without your front wheel, this isn't too much of a problem for me, (with my maxle) My buddy with a fox 36 *****es but has learned to deal with it.

The Bottom Line: If you are looking for a fork mount for your 20mm axle equiped bike, this is your only option. Not as refined of a design as a Yakima steelhead, but as safe and secure.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I also have some experience with that device. In fact I have two units. The first one was from the first production serie and I had 2 problems:
- the rail had no room for the Shimano's XT quad piston caliper. It colides with the rail.
- the clamp had some play after driving the car (with the bike installed in the rack) in a bumpy road (not so much bumpy, though). Then the bike rocks from side to side....The clamp didn't make pressure when securing the axle.

I contacted with them (I'm from SPAIN) and I sent them some pictures and videos and they agreed that they had some defects in the first serie, and the sent me a BRAND NEW UNIT (HEAD + RAIL + RAIL ADAPTER) for free TO SPAIN....:D

The after sales service was absolutely amazing. :thumbsup:

With this new unit I haven't had any problem but now I secure the bike with a tight ribbon over the fork to avoid more problems....

IS a good idea but it lacks some experience and live. We'll see what happends....
 

·
singletrack junkie
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the brake calipers:

burnout said:
I also have some experience with that device. In fact I have two units. The first one was from the first production serie and I had 2 problems:
- the rail had no room for the Shimano's XT quad piston caliper. It colides with the rail.
- the clamp had some play after driving the car (with the bike installed in the rack) in a bumpy road (not so much bumpy, though). Then the bike rocks from side to side....The clamp didn't make pressure when securing the axle.
I had to use a dremel to notch my Yakima wheel tray so my friend's XTR caliper would fit. No issues with my Hayes el camino caliper.

I guess I didn't mention this beacause I know it is an issue with many brake calipers on older Yakima & Thule racks that aren't "disc brake compatible"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
To mount a 20mm thru-axle, or any other "non-standard" forks such as the Lefty, Specialized 25mm or Mavericks 24mm forks, there is another option, It is called the Fork Up, which is mentioned in this post, not only has it been around for 10 years, it is approved for use by all of the fork manufacturers. We even make a Fork Up model that works with the standard 9mm x 100 forks to eliminate clearence issuses, such as disc brake calipers coming into contact with trays of crossbars.

As I have posted before, no other device to secure a thru-axle fork can be used on all fork mounts or racks, the Fork Up is transferrable from rack to rack. If you want to be the one who drives to all of your riding events, knock yourself out, but if you want to hitch a ride in your riding buddies cars sometimes, the Fork Up is made so it work it any fork mounted rack.
Im not saying a Fork Up is for everyone, I'm just letting veiwers of this post know, that there are other options. See for yourselves,
www.hurricanecomponents.com
 

·
183 BRO's before hoes.
Joined
·
582 Posts
Hurricane Jeff said:
To mount a 20mm thru-axle, or any other "non-standard" forks such as the Lefty, Specialized 25mm or Mavericks 24mm forks, there is another option, It is called the Fork Up, which is mentioned in this post, not only has it been around for 10 years, it is approved for use by all of the fork manufacturers. We even make a Fork Up model that works with the standard 9mm x 100 forks to eliminate clearence issuses, such as disc brake calipers coming into contact with trays of crossbars.

As I have posted before, no other device to secure a thru-axle fork can be used on all fork mounts or racks, the Fork Up is transferrable from rack to rack. If you want to be the one who drives to all of your riding events, knock yourself out, but if you want to hitch a ride in your riding buddies cars sometimes, the Fork Up is made so it work it any fork mounted rack.
Im not saying a Fork Up is for everyone, I'm just letting veiwers of this post know, that there are other options. See for yourselves,
www.hurricanecomponents.com
I have used one for years, most recently with a 55+pound bike, never any problems.
 

·
Rollin' a fatty
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
I'm using the Fork Up (20mm & QR20) on my cars without a hitch. Yakima/Rocky Mounts on my Matrix and Thule on my wife's Explorer.

The downside is having to remove the wheels but you get used to it and now we can take our bikes on any car with roof racks.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top