Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Not exactly 29er related but probably/possibly of interest to those who come here.

I'm hoping to take part in this http://www.3peakscyclocross.org.uk/ and if you take the time to look at the photos you'll probably come to the conclusion that a nice wide bar would be useful.

I would really like to use my On-One Midge bar but as this is a cyclocross race, the bar width is limited to 50cm. I like the midge for it's shallow drop and the flaring that makes for a comfortable wrist position. I'd then like to put top mounted brake levers for extra control/comfort in the descents.

Unfortunatly the midge is wider than 50cm. Does anybody know of a bar that is no wider than 50cm and has a flared and/or shallow drop?

And if Brant is reading, any chance of you making a 'Midget' bar that would meet the above width regulaiton for cyclo cross racing?

warm regards to everyone
Rob

·
Registered
122 Posts
The original Dirt Drops, "invented" by the Marin county crew 20 years ago, which have a huge following, & whose hand positions spawned most of these new funky bars on the market today. They're pretty rre, but man are they nice. There's a pair on the bay right now, which aren't selling, since shipping'll kill ya... Mine were legal the last 2 years.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a bit of searching around I've come across a number of options from Salsa, including the Bell Lap. Any more suggestions?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Rob,
My 44cm Bell Lap as I told you is 52cm wide. You'll love the 44. It's a road bar, but better. Doesn't "fit" like a Midge, it's a road bar really. Swap it for your current CX bar and be happy. If you use the 46cm Bell Lap (wider is better), changes are judges won't notice. In the pack, some crit riders do notice I'm wide when in the drops.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I forgot you told me that, but you tell me so much ;-)
Perhaps we can hook up and I can try it for fit.
(Afspraak maken via e-mail?)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I'll stop by on the 56x17 SS Pacer some time, it's got the 46 Bell Laps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the sweep back on those, especially as I want to add top bar brake levers. Its just my hands sit so snugly in the drop on the midge.

Mind you, the mungo is good aswell except thats too wide for CX

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Too bad that in CX, your bar need to be one-piece, so no attachements. I'd like something like a really shortened Fleegle, with drop-barends. Lots of forward sweep on the top, and the same in flare on the hood and in the drops. Adjustable width too.
Where does a man get his drop-barends these days anyway? I may find a use for some old 5º bar that way. Hey, to shock the world I could use riser bars!

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
I've been contemplating using flipped Mary's on the cross bike. But, I'm also concerned about UCI races. Not that I do a ton of UCI races, but the last time we had one around here, the judge was really picky about certain things. I'd hate to get pulled after driving 2 hours to race.

With the UCI, you have to use drop hooks to be official, though they didn't call me out for my moustache bars last year. Hmmm...

I may stay with the moustaches or try the Salsa's myself.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
"Straight handlebars are permitted, providing the maximum width does not exceed 50cm. The use of bar extensions is prohibited. Commissaire's decision will be final. The use of 27" or 700cm wheels in mountain bike frames will not be allowed."

Does that mean that the Midge is okay, not being a straight handlebar?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
It means you can have any bar that is <50cm

I have these fine 38 and 49º swept trekking bars, each a bit over 600mm. But they could be cut short, and with some inventive lever mounting might be made to work.

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
That's interesting. I was sure they elimited straight bars, at least for international level competition. No, I'm not at that level or even close. I just recall them eliminating them and Thomas Frischknecht having to switch bars when he had kicking a$$ at cross.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This race I'm entering is not a UCI race AFAIK. Here in Holland we have a regional championship which allows flat bars (but nobody uses them). For the national series (where I guess UCI points can be scored, not that I will ever do that :) ), a drop bar must be used. In all cases, the width of the bike may be no more than 50cm.

Both the midge and mungo are wider than 50cm but I'm sure that Brant was more interested in designing something that was functional rather than race compliant.

By the way, even though its a CX race, check the photos on the site of the races, especially 2004, and tell me you wouldn't like to ride there. I think the landscape looks really beautiful.

@Cloxxki, any chance we can hook up within the next week so I can check the salsa bars? (verder via e-mail).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts