Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My cousin has managed to turn me to the darkside and talked me in to buying his Condor track bike frame and forks.

While I'm not proficient enough to commute on a fixed gear, I would like to turn this in to a single speed (ie not fixed) commuter bike for those days where I don't want to trash my mountain bikes on wet british roads.

I know nothing about track bikes and components - I need to build a set of road worthy wheels that can take the grime and wet stuff. From what I have read, I need to get a set of track hubs and swap out the fixie for an adapter that will allow it to freewheel, I presume that I can build the hub with a set of normal road rims. One thing that I have heard is that many track hubs are not sealed because they are intended just for track use.

Could anyone recommend sealed track hubs/wheel build that would fit the bike and would be solid and reliable for commuting in wet weather within a $200-250 price limit? The rear dropouts are 120mm spaced and the forks are standard (125mm?) road bike width.

Apologies for posting on a mountain bike forum and for some probably quite naive questions. I'm posting here because this is my favourite biking forum and usually my first port of call.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Read the recent post on RBR

Mingsta said:
Hi guys. My cousin has managed to turn me to the darkside and talked me in to buying his Condor track bike frame and forks.

While I'm not proficient enough to commute on a fixed gear, I would like to turn this in to a single speed (ie not fixed) commuter bike for those days where I don't want to trash my mountain bikes on wet british roads.

I know nothing about track bikes and components - I need to build a set of road worthy wheels that can take the grime and wet stuff. From what I have read, I need to get a set of track hubs and swap out the fixie for an adapter that will allow it to freewheel, I presume that I can build the hub with a set of normal road rims. One thing that I have heard is that many track hubs are not sealed because they are intended just for track use.

Could anyone recommend sealed track hubs/wheel build that would fit the bike and would be solid and reliable for commuting in wet weather within a $200-250 price limit? The rear dropouts are 120mm spaced and the forks are standard (125mm?) road bike width.

Apologies for posting on a mountain bike forum and for some probably quite naive questions. I'm posting here because this is my favourite biking forum and usually my first port of call.
Read this recent post on roadbikereview:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=11091

and/or search the "fixed" discussion board on roadbikereview.com

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not sure what hub you are using, but most fixed hubs can accommodate a freewheel on them too. An example of this would be the Surly hub seen here. See description for details.

But, if these are nice track wheels that you currently have and you are looking to get a beater set, then most any SS hub will do. I think the Surly hubs are a great value for the money. My favorites are Phil and the ENO (set to standard for your bike).

Definitely get a flip-flop! You will want to go fixed. I guarantee it. I have had many friends that were afraid they didn't have the skills and when they finally caved, they loved it. Good luck.

Hope this helps.

dd..''

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
OOPS, this was supposed to be farther down the thread. :rolleyes:

It looks to me that the hubs vrom NYC and IRO are the same, other than the color and the IRO hubs have a 130mm available. If the NYC hubs came in a 130, that would be sweet. Cheap high flange black hubs.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
my 2 cents

front hub locknut distance =100mm
"true" track bike rear hub locknut distance = 110mm, least that was true when I was a trackie, 'course back then road hubs were 120 or 126mm.
for foul weather I would still recommend the fixed gear, as there's no freewheel guts to be contaminated by crud and fail halfway home. and you get better, finer control of the wheel on slippery roads.
an hour worth of riding a fixed gear around some back roads and parking lots and you will have the proficiency you need. you WILL try to coast once or twice at first, the cranks will yank on your legs, scaring the crap outa you for a second. After that you'll be golden, and will forget to coast on your gearie bikes. It ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try harris cyclery

A good resource for fixed-gear info is www.harriscyclery.com. Sheldon Brown has written tons of articles on the subject and you'll get an idea of what equipment works with what.

The Surly fixed/fixed hubs would work fine. They can be spaced to 120mm, I believe. I don't think there is any reason you can't thread a singlespeed freewheel onto the fixed side of the hub. Other economical choices would be the kogswell hubs and the IRO hubs. All have sealed bearings.

As far as "real" track hubs go, the Suzue Promax-SB are a little pricey, but they are flip-flop. The Suzue Junior (Basic) isn't sealed. The Miche's are nice (I have a set) but they use proprietary cogs and I think the ones I mentioned above would be more functional and economical. Phils and pauls are great, but expensive.

I'm not sure what welding you were planning to do, but I advise against using a torch on any of these hubs. No mods necessary!

Ginz

·
Registered
229 Posts
try Goldtec

Goldtec makes some nice double sided track hubs right on your island (Wales) that are reasonably priced, even with a weak U.S. dollar. I haven't built my set up yet but they look pretty bomb proof and have nicely sealed cartridge bearings. As other's point out, you can run a SS freewheel on a track hub no problem, then when you get the urge to go fixie all the way (and you will!) you've already got the right kit (or heck, you can run fixed or free from the get go.)

you can get 'em made to order here:

http://www.betd.co.uk/website/hubs.htm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guy thanks alot for the help. I'll check out some of your recommendations and let you know how I get along.

Commuting in London is kind of psychotic as it is, but one day I might go fixed...certainly getting quite excited about the idea of single speed and hot having to spend sunday mornings cleaning my drivetrain! Cheers and happy riding!

·
Fat Boy Deluxe
409 Posts
Mingsta said:
Guy thanks alot for the help. I'll check out some of your recommendations and let you know how I get along.

Commuting in London is kind of psychotic as it is, but one day I might go fixed...certainly getting quite excited about the idea of single speed and hot having to spend sunday mornings cleaning my drivetrain! Cheers and happy riding!
Check out LeVeL components. You can change the hub size real easy so you can place it on different bikes, plus the track cog bolts on instead of threading on. He was also working on a bolt on freewheel, but I haven't heard if it's out yet or not. Check it - LeVeL Components

DT

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mingsta said:
With that budget you can get quite a nice set of hubs, but I would tell you to go straight for the grand daddy of them all. Try to find a set of mid to late 80's Campy C-record High Flange track hubs. They come up on eBay every once in a while for that price range. The road ones are a lot more, but you should be able to get the track versions for that. You may also try www.campyoldy.com to see what they have. The guy who runs that site is named Nigel and he used to run a bike shop in the UK and has stuff like this around. It's been a while since his site was updated, but he lists a set of the High Flange Pista hubs at 150 british pounds, and small flange Pista at 85 GBP. These hubs are not sealed cartridge bearing hubs, but are widely regarded to be the most perfect track hub ever made. If you want the best, this is what you should get. And the Large Flange ones are just amazing! For around the same price you can get the current Campy Pista hubs, but they are low flange and not as nice as the C-Record ones were.

For closer to $185, you should be able to find a set of Dura-Ace flip flop track hubs. Those would be nice because you can put a track cog (fixed) on one side and a freewheel on the other. Paul also makes nice track flip flop hubs, and they are close to the price of the Dura-Ace but maybe a little more.

Hope that helps

Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.