Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Ibex Alpine 450 and it's been great so far. Only problem is I have some minor rubbing between the disc brakes and the pads. Is this normal for a bike that has yet to be broken in or should I attempt to adjust the positioning of the discs? If so, how would I go about doing this?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
you can start by trying to reposition the calipers, and also check if one of the rotors isn't of of true.... if the rotor has a spot where it rubs, but the rest goes by fine... you can use a crescent wrench (or even your fingers) to true the rotor... don't need much strength, just push it a little at a time.... make sure to wipe the rotor with alcohol (isopropyl is best) when you are done....

if the whole rotor rubs, then you might need to recenter the caliper...

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
put bike on stand
loosen the bolts on the calipers
roll the tyre
pull brake lever
roll tyre
pull brake lever
roll tyre
pull brake lever and hold it
retighten bolts...

if it still rubs, then you either need to true your rotor or be shimed with thin washers as mentioned above

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
mrpercussive said:
put bike on stand
loosen the bolts on the calipers
roll the tyre
pull brake lever
roll tyre
pull brake lever
roll tyre
pull brake lever and hold it
retighten bolts...

if it still rubs, then you either need to true your rotor or be shimed with thin washers as mentioned above
That won't work on all types of brakes. You shim the caliper not the rotor.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Maida7 said:
That won't work on all types of brakes. You shim the caliper not the rotor.
Both of you are right in a way...

On PM calipers, you center the calipers by mrpercussive's method... on IS calipers, one usually shims the caliper, but in some cases the rotor may need to be shimmed too (in extreme cases for PM too)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It is both the front and the rear but they only seem to rub at one spot. I'm going to try and true the rotors with a crescent wrench first as per crisillo's suggestion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't go crazy...

All discs rub to some extent. QR pressure will affect rubbing too. You can definitely drive yourself insane trying to get your disc to be silent all the time. Unless there's some serious drag, don't sweat the slight rubbing too much.

GL,
-don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blehargh said:
All discs rub to some extent. QR pressure will affect rubbing too. You can definitely drive yourself insane trying to get your disc to be silent all the time. Unless there's some serious drag, don't sweat the slight rubbing too much.

GL,
-don
Thanks dude, the rubbing is nothing really serious, so I might just ride it for a while as is. It surely isn't slowing me down.

·
Exploreur de Citée
394 Posts
Business card!

kchate5 said:
Thanks for all the replies. It is both the front and the rear but they only seem to rub at one spot. I'm going to try and true the rotors with a crescent wrench first as per crisillo's suggestion.
Try fitting business cards between the rotor and the pads before tightening it. It worked for me! :D I maked my life way easier! :thumbsup:

PS: Makes sure they not too thick, like cardboards... Definitely not too thin, paper is a no. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.