Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I think we should go back
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got an iron Horse warrior 4.0 and I realized on the front and back brakes when i hit the brakes the rotor flexes because the rotor is not centered in the middle of the pads. It actually rubs on one of the pads. What can i do to fix this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Okay, first off...

the Tektro Iox brakes that the 4.0 comes stock with are mechanical disc brakes. The rotor most likely won't be centered in the caliper exactly when they are properly set up. And even if the rotor is centered exactly in in the caliper the rotor will still deflect when you apply the brakes. This is because only ONE (the outboard) pad moves when you squeeze the lever. The outboard pad moves inward and forces the rotor into the inboard pad. This is the way they are supposed to work. If I remember correctly, a company by the name of Gusset offers the only dual action (i.e. both pads move when the lever is squeezed) mechanical disc brake on the market. They aren't particularly popular as there isn't enough advantage over other mech disc brakes to make them worth the extra weight. So the rotor deflecting is not part of the problem, nor is it a problem, it's normal.

As for the rotor rubbing on one of the pads, which pad, the inboard (closest to the hub) or the outboard pad. What you should do about it will depend on which pad it is, and what adjustments the Tektro Ioxs have. Also how bad is the rub. A very slight rub that isn't making a bunch of noise or isn't creating a lot of drag isn't really a problem and with some brakes is more or less normal. Like I said, just depends on the brakes.

Good Dirt

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Interloc's Dual Banger mechanical disc brake also does the dual pad movement, those the same as Gusset? Also, if the OP is just getting intermittent rub it could just be an out of true rotor...

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The on pad that moves when you apply the brakes is the one that is rubbing. The wheels don't spin very well but there is not much of a difference unless I am going to do some long XC with the bike.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Interloc's Dual Banger mechanical disc brake also does the dual pad movement, those the same as Gusset? Also, if the OP is just getting intermittent rub it could just be an out of true rotor...
Your right! Forgot about the dual banger, and nope not the same as the Gussets. Thanks.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
drain bamage said:
The on pad that moves when you apply the brakes is the one that is rubbing. The wheels don't spin very well but there is not much of a difference unless I am going to do some long XC with the bike.
Go to the Tektro website and download the set up manual for your brakes. I believe that both pads on the Io series of brakes are adjustable. Follow the set up/adjustment instructions and you should be able to work it out.

Good Dirt

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lets see I of course twisted in both directions a lot of times the knob the connects the line brakes cord to the caliper and have not noticed anything that changes the pads idle place. I have loosend the bolt that pinches the cable in place and moves when you hit the brakes and still they rub. The rotor is only rubbing on the non stationary pad. i can adjust the stationary one just fine. it is like the rotor needs to be centered itself in the middle of the two pads.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
drain bamage said:
Lets see I of course twisted in both directions a lot of times the knob the connects the line brakes cord to the caliper and have not noticed anything that changes the pads idle place. I have loosend the bolt that pinches the cable in place and moves when you hit the brakes and still they rub. The rotor is only rubbing on the non stationary pad. i can adjust the stationary one just fine. it is like the rotor needs to be centered itself in the middle of the two pads.
Are you following the manual instructions for setup? If the calipers need centering, have you done that?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I use mechanical discs, Avid BB7s (and older BBDB's, basically same thing), and once I set the calipers and levers up it's basically dial the pad in for wear occasionally, an occasional fresh housing and/or cable, and change pads when needed (it all depends on the conditions and amount of use, it's not a firm time schedule). Pretty much same thing for my bikes with rim brakes.

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just cant get the braking strength I want even when plaing with the knobs on the levers and where the cable meets the brake. I tried everything and still am not getting the strength I want from my brakes. Even when both of the pads are slightely rubbing on the disc!

·
EDR
10,685 Posts
drain bamage said:
I just cant get the braking strength I want even when plaing with the knobs on the levers and where the cable meets the brake. I tried everything and still am not getting the strength I want from my brakes. Even when both of the pads are slightely rubbing on the disc!
Avid mech brakes are extremely 'grabby' and should have plenty of stopping power. I think you have contaminated pads and or rotors, or maybe your pads are just old and worn out.

Clean the rotors with 100% IPA (or as close to it as you can find). Replace the pads if they are old or if you think there is a chace you got finger oil or some grease on them you can put the pads in the toaster oven on 500 degrees for about a 1/2 hour. I've done this several times. It drives out the oil. YMMV of course depending....

Another thing...brand new pads also perform poorly. The need to 'bed' before maximum performance can be had.

·
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have just used them and tried to go down a steep long hill a couple times to get them hot. I have touched the rotors unmerous times. I have never touched the pads. The bike is 1 week old and I ride about average of 10 miles a day just from either riding places or just riding around the neighborhood.

Just curious what does OP mean?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.