Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!! I'm 285 and going down, used to be 350 last summer.
I can't seem to keep my post where I want it. It will gradually slide down as i ride. The small bumps, and my weight of course, make it go down bit by bit. I'm sure I have the correct post size for my bike. Any tips or tricks on how to safely secure the seatpost and prevent it from slowly sliding down?????

THX IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Are you using a QR seat collar?.....

masaemon said:
I can't seem to keep my post where I want it. It will gradually slide down as i ride. The small bumps, and my weight of course, make it go down bit by bit. I'm sure I have the correct post size for my bike. Any tips or tricks on how to safely secure the seatpost and prevent it from slowly sliding down?????

THX IN ADVANCE
In my experience with and being a heavier rider that many QR's just don't provide enough torque to keep the seat post in place. My suggestion would be to replace the QR with a bolt tightened type collar. My favorite is a Salsa lip lock. They are very strong and put allot of torque on the tube and keep things in place quite well. Depending on how long this has been happening you may need to replace your seat post as well. The post sliding down into the seat tube with the collar cranked down will cold work the post and actually make it smaller in diameter over time. You may not be able to torque the collar down enough to keep it in place after a while.

Anyway, I would recommend getting a Salsa Lip Lock in the proper size and installing it. If the seat post continues to slip then replace the seat post as well. If you really want to stay with a QR type collar then the Salsa Flip Lock is probably one of the best on the market.

Good Dirt

G

·
Put a hose clamp around the seat post butting up to the top of the frame seat tube to keep it from slipping. Don't look that cool, but it works.

·
Registered
168 Posts
masaemon said:

THX IN ADVANCE
Try a Thomson seat post. I've had the same problem on three different bikes...fixed it each time with a Thomson seat post.

If you go to a shop- feel one - they have "rings" from the machining process that give some grip that help the post stay up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.