Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my EBB singlespeed fame with a traditional, but disc-only, horizontal dropout one with "stretched" caliper mounts on the frame. There IS a reason why I change but it would only start antother debate so let's forget it for now ;). What I want to know is how much of a hassle it is to get the rear caliper aligned and reasonably noise free when moving the rear wheel about (tensioning chain, swapping gears). Inbreds and Moncogs have this set-up right? What is your experience?

Cheers,

/D

·
Registered
19,093 Posts
I have an Inbred with sliders. It takes a little eyeballing to make sure the wheel is parallel to the frame, but other than that I have no issues. I've never had to adjust the brake placement when I've moved the sliders.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
I think the OP (correct me if I'm wrong-it's been known to happen) is talking about a track-end/traditional horizontal dropout with slotted caliper mount holes ala Karate Monkey or Juice, not sliders. I've been wondering about these too; I'm considering confabulating some fashion of disc mount up for the ChiTi SS with horizontal dropouts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
el-cid said:
I think the OP (correct me if I'm wrong-it's been known to happen) is talking about a track-end/traditional horizontal dropout with slotted caliper mount holes ala Karate Monkey or Juice, not sliders. I've been wondering about these too; I'm considering confabulating some fashion of disc mount up for the ChiTi SS with horizontal dropouts.
Correct, "slotted" was the word I didn't find ;) . My concern is how much fuss it is to get the discs working nice and quiet again after nudging the wheel a bit to take up some chain slack. Complete set up every time? Not according to Nat, thank's Nat (the Inbred also has slotted caliper mounts on the frame, despite the sliding dropouts).

·
Registered
19,093 Posts
edicviz said:
Correct, "slotted" was the word I didn't find ;) . My concern is how much fuss it is to get the discs working nice and quiet again after nudging the wheel a bit to take up some chain slack. Complete set up every time? Not according to Nat, thank's Nat (the Inbred also has slotted caliper mounts on the frame, despite the sliding dropouts).
Whoops, I have the sliding dropouts, not the horizontal dropouts, so I read carelessly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nat said:
Whoops, I have the sliding dropouts, not the horizontal dropouts, so I read carelessly.
No, you addressed my concern :thumbsup: . It's the same disc issue, just easier wheel removal with sliders a la Inbred.

/D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I used to have Spot frome with those. I used hope mono minis and I had to unscrew them to remove the wheel. Just sliding was fine, loosen the bolts on the brakes, slide the wheel and then readjust the brakes..

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
No major issues...

I had a Surly with that set up, had a 26" Spot with that set up, now have a Juice with that and just got my custom Spot done with that set up. Point is, I could have had any setup I wanted from any builder but went out of my way to choose that particular desing because it works so well.

It's just a bit more time consuming when fixing flats and changing cogs. Overall I still think it's the best design overall. It's simple, light, effective, and pretty much impervious to failure. Compared to a previous very well functioning EBB-Salsa Jaun Solo I actually spent less time overall fiddling with the setup to get everything just right; less time with the horzontal track set up that is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.