Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard there's benefit to be had from running knobbies on wider rims due to increased air volume, increased contact patch and a more square tread profile.

I was wondering is this also true when running slicks, or commuter tires? Does anyone have any experience with, say a 1.25" commuter slick on a 30mm rim?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
komekomegaijin said:
I've heard there's benefit to be had from running knobbies on wider rims due to increased air volume, increased contact patch and a more square tread profile.

I was wondering is this also true when running slicks, or commuter tires? Does anyone have any experience with, say a 1.25" commuter slick on a 30mm rim?

Thanks for any advice.
A "square" profile on the road is a bad thing. Makes it hard to lean the bike well.

A 1.25" (32mm) tire on a 30mm rim will work but I do not like how tires that narrow ride on a mtb on any rim. Harsh, poor traction and can handle poorly on a "stiff" frame at the pressure required to prevent pinch flats.

Go with at least a 1.4" tire. A 1.75 would be better yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shiggy. I realise a square profile on the road isn't good but I was assuming that a round slick on a wider rim would stay round, just have a larger cross section and therefore a slightly larger contact patch (very slightly??).
I currently ride a Trek 26" commuter (in Japan the SU200) and just traded the original Bontrager Satellite Plus 1.5" for Kenda Qwick Roller Sport 1.5" (which, incidentally, by my measurements are a full 5mm narrower than the Bontragers on the same rim).
I've had no problems with this tire size and recently started commuting with a BOB Yak trailer. I must say though, I've been riding the bike for 3 years exclusively so I can't really compare it to anything else...

So, on to the point! I'm sincerely hoping to build up a Niner SIR9 soon and it will be my one and only, do everything bike. Looking into rim choices I want a rim that's relatively light but strong enough for my 90kg plus trailer. I'm wondering what rim width is appropriate to run a commuter tire regularly but also run 2.2"+ knobbies?

·
MTB Addict
830 Posts
Unfortunately, the narrow tire would become less round on such a wide rim. If you want to run a commuter tire that will do well on wide rims, look at the 2.0 or 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple. I run 2.0s on my Mavic 819s, they handle great on the road, and have plenty of width for wider rims. They're also pretty fast rolling, especially close to max pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.