Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What tyres are best for comfort and speed?

• 1.2 or lower slicks would be best

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am new here. would like to have my current 26" knobby tyres changed. Im currently having a 2.125 front and 1.95 rear. I find it hard to start as i have not cycled for years. I like to change it to Slicks but do not know the sizing to buy.

I am looking for comfort and ease of cycling. I have seen that the sell slicks at 1.2 - 1.9 width.

i do not like to pump my tyres to high psi as it too uncomfortable and I have rode road bikes with very thin tires, didn't like it at all.

What width would be suitable for me? I have never fitted a 1.5 or lower tyre. Would there be a substantian ride comfort difference from my current to 1.5 or should I stick with 1.9 slicks. please advise. thank you

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
You should get some fat but slick tires. I have 26x1.0 Conti Grand Prixs and I love them. They're light and fast but you feel every single bump in the road. Get some bald fatties and you'll be fine. Schwalbe Big Apple is very popular on this forum.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
I've used 1.5 IRC Metro slicks before, ran them at 100PSI on the back and about 70 at the front IIRC and they were very fast. You could run them softer. I had to get thinner tubes as it was a bit hard to shoehorn a regular 1.95-2.1 sized tube in without it getting pinched. This also shed a bit of weight. These are of course only good for the road or rock hard, baked dirt.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the bike when you have the slicks on it.

I went for Bontrager Hank 2.2" slicks. They are fat and not particularly light. They also work great for some trails, as long as the surface is firm and dry.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Depends on...

where and how you ride. If you ride off road then a semi slick or knobby with low profile knobs in the 1.9 to 2.1 range would be best. Some thing like a Kenda Small Block 8, or Maxxis Larsen TT are goot examples. If you ride pavement then something in a 1.9 to 2.0 and 0 to very little tread would be a good choice. Smaller (narrower) tires will require higher pressures to prevent pinch flats and protect your rims. Wider tires will require less pressure to do the same job.

Personally I would not recommned a completely bald tire. Baldies are fine if you never get wet. But they tend to be a bit squirrely if you ever get caught out in a rain shower. Something with at least a little tread works better. And there are lots of them out there, look for comfort, hybrid, beach cruiser, or commuter tires. Something like a Continental Town and Country, Geax Evolution, or the Schwalbe Big Apple are good examples. And there are others out there as well.

Your, choice of course. But there are plenty of good 1.9 to 2.0 tires that will fit the bill.

Good Dirt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.