Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SLC -> Durango -> Zion NP -> Brian Head -> Escalante Biking and Extreme Camping??

So we rolled out on short notice for a little UT/AZ/CO road trip.

Stopped in Moab for lunch on the way, wanted to ride Hazard but we seemed to be the only 2 people crazy enough to do it in the heat so no shuttles were available. We rolled on to Durango and made due...

Short afternoon ride but still found the goods, wall ride ...

M got chased by flying saucers in broad day light!

On Sunday we hooked up with Matt at Hermosa Tours. If you're in Durango to ride, you need to call these guys. We knew we wanted to ride Hermosa Creek but Matt hooked us up with 5 sweet extra miles by shuttling us to a different start.

Even being from SLC, this altitude was impressive

And we climbed even higher

Grand

Definitely a wilderness setting, anonymous lurking beast snaps a shot

M descending to cross Hermosa Creek, wish I had a photo of the actual crossing, the current was desperately trying to pry her Highline away

Fur

Donor

Nate at Hermosa Tours was kind enough to give up his Sunday morning to shuttle us to the Colorado Trail. We had it on authority that we should ride this trail, the authorities were right. Killer ribbon of wilderness single track.

M cranks out the only real climb on the ride

The CT was giving up incredible views all day long

M in the Aspens on the lower section, the trail was scary fast in here, glad I was not on a light trail bike.

We had intentions of a 4th day in Durango but opted to roll out and take a day off after M bent her thumb in a direction it was never intended to bend.

Luckily, it was still in good enough shape to hold a rope, first rap into Keyhole, Zion NP

Krikey! It's a baby rattler'

M on another rap, not much sun making its way in, was a dark descent

Gate keeper at the exit, don't piss him off, he's tougher than he looks

Over beers at the end we not only spotted rare Bighorn Sheep (80 total in the park) but a whole family, sweet!

Temps started getting out of control, time to find a place to swim

Paradise found

M goes big

We had the place to our selves, sunny skies and perfect water temps

Hummers are for driving over waterfalls, children, kittens and bunnies. Fortunately in this case I did not harm any of the above in this stunt

Back to biking, Alex getting it done on a log skinny at Brian Head

Me on a rock drop

No one could get enough of this Hip, fast entrance, endless tranny
JMH sends it

Alex on it

Two of me 'cause it's my thread
credit to M

credit to JMH

We rolled out to Neon Canyon for a little more off-bike fun fest but I inadvertently pumelled my cam on the first rappel after the strap hung up on my belay device ouch! I only took a few more pics assuming my cam was no longer working. I was wrong, but JMH took a bunch of good pics (as usual) so here's my 2 and a link to JMH's Fickr-

M starting the 80' rappel through the Golden Cathedral

I locked off about 50' up and snapped a shot of the canyon exit

If you're diggin the canyon stuff, don't miss these pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157606029057604/

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
That was a great trip - the Extreme Camping Team does it again! :) I think my favorite part was abandoning vehicles as the road got rougher - our Passat will never be quite the same. Ha.

Where to next week?

Cheers,
Chuky

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kackalackie is a distant memory bro! Now that I've been out here for a while, I don't even know why people live in the East. But, I'm glad they do otherwise it would be way too crounded out here!

Esp the swimming holes.

·
You Guys Riding?
641 Posts
Looks like a good trip. Where in Escalante did you guys wind up? We were down there a couple weeks ago. Interesting place... Very cool scenery.

And sick shots off that hip jump!!!

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lev said:
Looks like a good trip. Where in Escalante did you guys wind up? We were down there a couple weeks ago. Interesting place... Very cool scenery.

And sick shots off that hip jump!!!
Neon Canyon, it's down Hole in the Rock Road and then out to the Egypt trail head. 8 hours of hiking and rapping at a solid pace. Good fun. The next day we ended up just up the road a ways at the swimming hole.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Another nice one of the canyon day (sorry, the bikes didn't make it here):

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KRob said:
Great trip you guys. This last pic of yours is super stellar chuky. Did you have guides for your canyoneering day? That rappel down through the keyhole looks amazing.
That pic Chuky posted is of the final rap in Neon Canyon, called the Golden Cathedral. No guides, in fact we were told this canyon was impassible in its current state. But, we have a pretty strong crew and managed fine.

·
You Guys Riding?
641 Posts
Err said:
in fact we were told this canyon was impassible in its current state. But, we have a pretty strong crew and managed fine.
That visitor center in Escalante is whack! Those guys told us not to go to the 25 mile wash (which was what we came to do) for not apparent reason at all. Maybe it was cuz I hadn't showered in a few days and came in looking a little shaggy? :eek: Regardless, it's a beautiful area! It's nice to see what you can accomplish with some ropes and a little technical skill.

·
enlightened.
1,494 Posts
Lev said:
That visitor center in Escalante is whack! Those guys told us not to go to the 25 mile wash (which was what we came to do) for not apparent reason at all. Maybe it was cuz I hadn't showered in a few days and came in looking a little shaggy? :eek: Regardless, it's a beautiful area! It's nice to see what you can accomplish with some ropes and a little technical skill.
I think they're accustomed to the LCD. Think of most hiking trail ratings in these sorts of areas - they're generally formulated around someone hiking with 2.5 children.

Need to get me down to canyon country and soon. It's been like, over a month. A travesty I tells yas.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.