Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to dig up some info on the Slayer SXC bikes. Looked through a few reviews, but hard to come by of course

SXC just a lighter version of the normal Slayer bike? Seem almost identical to me, except for maybe a 1/4 lb :).

How does it match up to the ETSX? Similar to a BLT vs. Nomad?

What kind of riding are people doing on there? Anyone take it out on all day rides with lots of up and down singletrack?

Anyone post a build and some shots of theres?

General impressions of the ride, and other bikes you might have considered.

Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
The reviews I've read so far sounded pretty promising. The SXC was compared to bikes like the Intense 6.6 or the newer Specialized Enduro, and it did quite well.
From what I've read from customers who got their bikes already, most of these people use their SXCs for agressive trail riding or longer trail rides. No complaints I heard of so far, the only thing that seems to be a slight problem is that your heel might hit the carbon fibre seat stay when pedaling, but I've only read that from one rider so far.
I'm still waiting for my frame to arrive, and it's supposed to replace my Cove G-Spot FR.
I've been using this bike for all kinds of trails, up and down but no epic 4h+ rides. It did great, so I considered the Rocky as it is a little lighter and has nearly the same geo. Top tube is a little shorter which was one major reason for me to swap the frame out.
Before I placed the order, I considered all kinds of bikes like the Intense 6.6, Devinci Hektik, Transition Preston FR, Iron Horse 6.6, Santa Cruz Nomad or the Ventana El Terremoto.
I chose the Rocky SXC because I liked it's geo where the 18" version has a little longer top tube than other bikes, giving me the possibility to use a smaller frame (normally I'd have to use a 20" or 19" frame), it has a very nice lever ratio (6" of travel with a 2.25" shock instead of only 2" like most others), very low top tube and good reputation of the company itself. I liked the paint job, craftsmanship from what I've seen so far and also it's nearly 2 pounds lighter than my actual frame. The only limitation I've seen so far is that you shouldn't do higher drops than like 6ft or so, which is more than I actually need.

·
Registered
640 Posts
No problem ;) I've been searching for *the* frame for a long time now, quite hard as there are so many options. I rode a 4-bar before I had the Cove, I didn't see any downside when going to a faux-bar, so the Rocky now seemed like a pretty nice deal.

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Radical, curious, what shock and fork are you considering? Definitely post up when it's built. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Fork -> just bought a 07 36 Talas RC2 for my Cove, and I'll definitely keep it ;) Shock? Still thinking about that.
The frame comes with a DHX 5.0 air, and I still have a RP23 here that I ran on the Cove. So I'll see which one I like better, if it's the RP23 (I love the PPD on/off lever) I'll send it to PUSH :)
Should make it a super-versatile bike that can go up and down anywhere :thumbsup:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well, Rocky seems to be quite restrictive regarding this. So I checked where there were dealers carying Rocky in my area, went there, checked prices and got a pretty good deal at one shop, better than the handful of options I got on the net.
I'm going to build up the bike myself, but they'll prepare the frame for me as soon as it gets there.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
My wife coaches some bike camps and Rocky is now the title sponsor (used to be sugoi) this year.....so she's getting a deal on a sxc 90 and is stoked for a new bike!! Can't wait to hear some more reviews on them.

Slayer_rulz, I think your AM1 will be a fine fork to accompany that bike......although you probably read the review on nsmb where they felt the AM2 limited that bike a bit. That was mainly due to the adjustability though. You thinking of an upgrade this year....can it be time to retire the old Slayer??

Peace,
EB

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Yep, new bike/frame for '07's the goal. Started saving for it as we post. I already have like, $60.00! :eekster:

Can't wait to see CBX's new bike.

ebxtreme said:
My wife coaches some bike camps and Rocky is now the title sponsor (used to be sugoi) this year.....so she's getting a deal on a sxc 90 and is stoked for a new bike!! Can't wait to hear some more reviews on them.

Slayer_rulz, I think your AM1 will be a fine fork to accompany that bike......although you probably read the review on nsmb where they felt the AM2 limited that bike a bit. That was mainly due to the adjustability though. You thinking of an upgrade this year....can it be time to retire the old Slayer??

Peace,
EB

·
Registered
540 Posts
From time on the throne micro-analyzing the RMB catalog, I noticed the linkage on the SXC is different (shorter) from that of the Slayer. The link connecting the shock to the swingarm is noticeably shorter, presumably resulting in less leverage and a less plusher ride than the regular Slayer. But this all toliet-seat analysis I could be way off..

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
...a lower ratio lever on a longer travel, lower pressure shock.

I was surprised at how much plusher the 2007 ETSX felt with a 2" travel, lower pressure shock than the 2004 ETSX with the 1.5" travel shock.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd second that. The leverage ratio is below 3 as they use a 57mm (2.25") stroke shock. Should be good for low pressure plus a really plush ride.

·
Registered
297 Posts
no ownership yet, but...

I rode one pretty hard for a bit the other day. I'm incredibly impressed! I got to hammer on a demo SXC 70 from the rep last week. Didn't have a huge amount of time or terrain, but was able to ride a few laps up and down a bumpy sledding/ski hill. The slope was partially slush covered with bumpy grass spots and a moderate to steep pitch for climbing.

Stomping up was a breeze and charging back down, railing turns was amazingly fluid feeling. The handling was 100% spot on and felt really comfortabe and confidince inspiring. The rear end is really quiet on climbs, especially when compared to last year's Slayer design. They removed one of the shock activator links on the regular Slayer and freed up the rear triangle with pivoting seat stays. This seems to have made the bike much less likely to blow through the travel like the regular Slayer tended to do. I'd also like to hear an owner's long term report, but I was surprised how "right" everyhting felt on my first test ride.

·
Registered
297 Posts
picture diagrams

The yellow link was removed from Slayer to SXC.
The green part that made the Slayer's rear triangle one piece was removed.
Pivots were added on the CS to make the susp more like the Element... kinda.

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The Slayer SXC is much closer to the original Slayer in being like a beefed up Element, including the same carbon stays with different end pieces. Instead of a 3D link it has a swing link to keep all the weight low. The other advantage of decluttering the SXC rear swing arm is that there's more mud and front derailleur clearance.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The SXC is still going to be beefier than the 2005 and earlier Slayers as the frame tubes and swing arm tubes are substantial in the new design, but the SXC is likely not as bomb proof as the 2006/07 regular Slayer with the hefty single pivot rear triangle.

The actual difference between them might only come into play just at the point where the rider might have more pressing survival issues than the frame, it's hard to say. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts