Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 05 Slayer 50 an 18", for XC I would normally ride what is a 17"
the top tube was too long. The shop I worked with was cool enough to let me get into a Slayer 70, a 16.5 (RM doesn't even make a 17")

So I got an upgrade with awesome parts; but, the 16.5 is too small???

When I tried it, I put the seat up high in the parking lot...... But out on the trail it feels too shortish in the top tube. I'm by NO MEANS bashing RM, they make an awesome product, and the bike is laterally stiff stiff stiff at the bottom bracket.

However,, the toptube is only like 21" long??? Even a size small in other brands have top tubes that are like 22.5 or 23". Is there an engineering/geometry "reason" that rocky does this??? Maybe If I knew more I would be willing to try and get used to it.
As it stands now I'm going to sell the frame and build up something else.

by the way, I am 5' 8" with a 30" inseam and not really a long upper body or reach, just "normal" for my height.

This is a bit frustrating to me because I am/WAS an avid aggressive XC rider (which is why I got a Slayer), and the season has started in Idaho and I don't have a bike I can ride effectively.

One more thing, the benefits of having a shorter top tube aren't really a benefit for DH either, because the bike has a shorter wheelbase and shorter front center, so it really is not as effective going off dropoffs as would be a bike with a normal top tube

frustrated and 3K into it without resolution

·
Registered
45 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
I got an 05 Slayer 50 an 18", for XC I would normally ride what is a 17"
the top tube was too long. The shop I worked with was cool enough to let me get into a Slayer 70, a 16.5 (RM doesn't even make a 17")

So I got an upgrade with awesome parts; but, the 16.5 is too small???

When I tried it, I put the seat up high in the parking lot...... But out on the trail it feels too shortish in the top tube. I'm by NO MEANS bashing RM, they make an awesome product, and the bike is laterally stiff stiff stiff at the bottom bracket.

However,, the toptube is only like 21" long??? Even a size small in other brands have top tubes that are like 22.5 or 23". Is there an engineering/geometry "reason" that rocky does this??? Maybe If I knew more I would be willing to try and get used to it.
As it stands now I'm going to sell the frame and build up something else.

by the way, I am 5' 8" with a 30" inseam and not really a long upper body or reach, just "normal" for my height.

This is a bit frustrating to me because I am/WAS an avid aggressive XC rider (which is why I got a Slayer), and the season has started in Idaho and I don't have a bike I can ride effectively.

One more thing, the benefits of having a shorter top tube aren't really a benefit for DH either, because the bike has a shorter wheelbase and shorter front center, so it really is not as effective going off dropoffs as would be a bike with a normal top tube

frustrated and 3K into it without resolution
Give it some time...RM's are short in the TT. It's a totally different feeling but once you get used to it you might like it. I am your height and same inseam...ride a small RM7. Same TT length as the Slayer (21.85 in). It's nice when you have to get behind the saddle for steeps...and IMO a short TT is better for drops since you can pull the front end up easier...and it gives you more control. If you do a lot of climbing though the short TT will make it more of a chore.

In the end though it's all what you like for sizing..the above is just my personal take on it. It does seem like there is a big gap between the RM size S and M. I almost wish they made a S/M size because that's probably what would fit me (and you) best.

p.s. Short TT does not necessarily mean short wheelbase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.