Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just riding along yesterday, uphill actually, when my derailleur hanger just snapped in half. Does this happen often? I was in my small ring up front and the biggest cog in the back. I don't know what happened, but the next thing I know the derailleur was in my spokes. The worst part of this is that I'm quite far away from a RM dealer. The nearest one is in Japan, and I'm in the western part of China. Anybody know where I can get a spare derailleur hanger online? Many thanks in advance.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
After you get a new hanger you could also get a hanger banger . They take the stress away from the hanger and transfer a lot of it to the skewer / axel. If you cant finde a hanger anywear or get one shiped to you let me know and I might be able to help to out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Any good bike shop should have an assortment of hangers on hand but I guess you might be far from a 'good bike shop'. I've always just got my replacement hangers from my LBS which is not an RM dealer.

Regarding whether that happens often, I'd say no. Normally you can wack it a few times and bend it back but after bending it more than once it gets bittle and eventually will snap off at a smaller than expecting hit or if you suddenly mash the pedals. Has your hanger been previously hit?

Anyways, I'd get a new hanger from NSB as mentioned in the first reply and get the hanger banger too so this doesn't happen again.

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, thanks for the reply. Really appreciate the feedback and offer to help(JHB). Many many thanks. Just talked to my pal in BC and he'll send one out for me when he gets his hands on one.
I don't know what happened exactly. I didn't hear it happen, I mean. I was going uphill like I said, but I had my fullface on, I felt some tension in my pedal stroke and I looked back and the derailleur was on it's way into the spokes. It was close. Good thing I was going UP, not down, else I'll be looking at spoke replacement as well at the very least.
Thanks again for all your help, guys. Stay safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.