Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: I found a GXP bb for my cranks, so the question below is not irrelevant.

I happen to have in my possession a Truvativ Stylo 1.1 crank, one Shimano mountain right side external bearing/cup and a Race Face left side bearing/cup. the bearings are mis-matched but look exactly the same, aside from the threading direction.. would these bearings work with those cranks, at least temporarily? I don't have the plastic center spacer, what purpose does that serve? what else would I need to take into consideration to make this work? it sounds ghetto but I want to know if I like these cranks at all before blowing $$ on a new BB.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah ha! that's what I needed to know. this is my first foray into the world of external BB's on my bike.

I have the cheapy Truvative Five D SS cranks that came with my bike. would some Stylo 1.1 cranks with a GXP BB be a big improvement in terms of weight and stiffness? I ride XC on a single-speed bike if that helps.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I believe the Truvativ spindle is only a smaller diameter on the non-drive side, and there are some aftermarket BB's (such as Chris King) that use a spacer on that side to adapt a "universal" BB design to work with SRAM/Truvativ cranks. It's worth looking into if you have all the other parts, maybe you can find just a spacer kit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts