Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m seriously considering some options to slacken out my socom a little more because I do not really like the stock head angle (approx 65.5).

Basically I have a $500 budget for the winter to get her in shape for spring racing. I need a new headset because the Sunline that came with it is well… you know a piece of $^!# and super crunchy at this point. I’m running the 135mm standard dropouts and my rear wheel needs to be replaced as well. 170mm XT cranks.

So I’m considering getting the K9 industries Angled Reducer Cup kit(headset included) which would put me around 63.5 or the Works Components Reducer Cups which would put me around 64.5. I would still have to purchase a new rear wheel and maybe 165mm cranks since the BB will be pretty low.

..or I could purchase the slackers and be around 64.5. My BB wouldn’t be as low so the 170mm cranks should be fine. I would still have to purchase a new headset and rear wheel.

I’m open to suggestions on this one. Who’s had the Angled Reducers installed and how do you like them? I know most of you like really like the slackers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
where are you guys sourcing both the K9 cups and the Works components?
Shroomtoon, im in the same boat as you. I love my Soc, but need a slacker HA for the trails I ride and dont really want to get new cranks. I run 170mm now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try and contact Obtainium tomorrow. Sounds like that would make sense because K9 distributes Obtainium springs in the UK. Plus their local for me so that's even better.

Gravityfreaky let me know how the install goes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
good deal, thanks cube. my head tube is 5.25" - its a medium Soc.... Will those fit okay?

sorry for all the questions...I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You should get in contact with readytoridecycles as they say they do have special ones for the socom.
The length of the headtube is quite an important issue here.
But why is your headtube so long? Shouldn't it be 4.sth???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cube, Are you on a Socom and what size cranks you running?
My head tube is 5.25" as well.. Looks like the Works won't fit mine. Have to go to the K9's as they have the 5.25"..
Waiting to here back from the folks at Obtainium

·
Registered
222 Posts
shroom, are u in the US? check back with us when u hear from obtainium about the K9 cups for a 5.25" HT. I emailed K9 and called them a while back which cost me $7 in intl long distance to leave a voicemail and never heard back...

·
Registered
222 Posts
mtb_biker said:
What was your question on the K9 cups?
specifically, where i can get them in the US and how much? i dont see them on the obtainium site and I've tried to contact K9 directly via their own site by both email and phone. do u know if obtainium stocks them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim hasn't returned my call just yet.. Might try and give a call again tomorrow.

Sounds like a couple of people are hunting for these things..

cube your bb must be super low in the ~63 setting..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.