Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I sent in my paypal to INTENSE_CNC and next thing I know the mailman has some goodies for me. Finally got around to tossing these on yesterday in preparation for some weekend riding. Huge props to Jeff and Intense for putting these out.

Beautiful workmanship Vince (and great pricing).. I almost don't want to get them dirty.
Photograph Photography Strap Still life photography Sandal

Uzzi before (lrg frame) - 65.5 HA, 14 3/4" BB
Wheel Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Uzzi after - 64.6 HA, 14 3/8" BB
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Before:
Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke Bicycle tire

After:
Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle

Normal 150s vs Slackers
Line Grey Household hardware Carbon Steel
White Metal Household hardware Tool Steel

Left:
Brown Photograph White Line Black

Right:
Bicycle part Black Design Scrub plane Tool

Overlay:
Finger Nail Household hardware Steel Hardware accessory

The geo difference is noticeable just hopping on the bike.. I'll try to post up a ride report over the weekend assuming the weather holds out here in CO.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Thanks for posting! It looks like they dropped the BB not as much as I had hoped. Nevertheless, a nice improvement! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hey Thump,
Are you staying with 175 cranks ?
I'm switching to 165's, because of the 1/2 '' drop.
Let me know, and thanks in advance.
RTW.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
I can't wait till they start taking orders.

Let us know about the cranks. I'm currently running 175mm Diabolous cranks but wouldn't mind switching to 170 or 165mm SLX cranks.

How do you like the Totem on there? I'm running an '06 66 RC2X and am considering switching it for a Totem or a Boxxer this year.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iRider said:
Thanks for posting! It looks like they dropped the BB not as much as I had hoped. Nevertheless, a nice improvement! :thumbsup:
Yeah, it still doesn't feel close to an M6, but it's better. Now that the geo is slacked out a little I may toss back on an FSA headset to bring it down further. The 1.5 CK has a pretty tall stack.

rickthewelder said:
Hey Thump,
Are you staying with 175 cranks ?
I'll let you know after I get a couple rides in. This thing does double duty as my trail bike so I may compromise with 170s. Gives me an excuse to upgrade to some '09 saints. :thumbsup:

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BCBlur said:
How do you like the Totem on there? I'm running an '06 66 RC2X and am considering switching it for a Totem or a Boxxer this year.
Lovin' the Totem (coil). So far it's put in 2 seasons of monster abuse with very little maintenance. Stiffest fork I've ridden yet. That said, I've been eyeing the '10 boxxers. The few I've seen on the trails look sexy. I wouldn't switch for an '09.. but the new ones... hmmm.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
thump said:
I'll let you know after I get a couple rides in. This thing does double duty as my trail bike so I may compromise with 170s. Gives me an excuse to upgrade to some '09 saints. :thumbsup:
Cool, I'll stay tuned.
Very clean looking Uzzi, BTW.
RTW.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First ride report..

Mother nature was kind and I managed to get in a testing ride today with the new drops. My initial reaction is that they do what you'd expect and actually nudge the bike over the line from a freeride feel to a DH feel.

Technical climbing - The change wasn't really noticeable on steep technical sections. The longer chainstays seem to balance out the slacker HA. It wasn't any more work to keep the front wheel down than normal.

Descending - The difference is noticeable. The bike is more stable at speed and has some of the DH bike feel of being in the "cockpit" vs sitting up on top of the bike. I'm definitely looking forward to some DH runs to really test out the cornering and some steeps/drops. It's a confidence inspiring change.

Flats / gradual climbs - The bike definitely rides more rear wheel heavy. On long sandy or soft pedaling sections it makes for extra work as the rear wheel wants to rudder in more.

Overall I'm stoked on what these will do for DH riding on this bike. I'll probably switch back to the normal drops for early spring trail rides and then toss these back on once the shuttle runs and resorts melt off. Thanks again, Vince.

A few pics for evidence..

Blue Green Yellow Colorfulness Slope

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Mountain bike Bicycle part

Forest Trunk Wilderness Woodland Old-growth forest

Natural environment Plant community Slope Trail Terrain

·
Fearing the Reaper
192 Posts
How is Walker riding? I was thinking about heading down to Hall today, but by the looks of the photos... might just stick around town.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rickthewelder said:
Beautiful scenery !
How you liking those Betty's ?
RTW.
Diggin the Betty's. They've been my trail tire of choice for a couple seasons now. The only weakness I've found is icy snowpack. I was thinking about trying a Muddy Mary up front for a while. I'm a big fan on Schwalbe now, their freeride tires have shown to be bombproof.

Btw - probably going to switch to 170 cranks. I don't think there's a need to go down to 165's. The BB is still tall enough.

GLIDE said:
How is Walker riding? I was thinking about heading down to Hall today, but by the looks of the photos... might just stick around town.
Walker was pretty much dry. Some lights snow on the north slopes and portage still, but plenty ridable.

snowskilz said:
60's we rode dakota/rr/mw today
Yeah, too bad you were boarding yesterday instead of enjoying some good riding.. Anyway, certainly sucks living in CO. A few shots from today to demonstrate.

Vegetation Plant Plant community Soil Landscape

Plant community Outcrop Rock Bedrock Terrain

Vegetation Sky Natural environment Mountainous landforms Highland

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
thump said:
Diggin the Betty's. They've been my trail tire of choice for a couple seasons now. The only weakness I've found is icy snowpack. I was thinking about trying a Muddy Mary up front for a while. I'm a big fan on Schwalbe now, their freeride tires have shown to be bombproof.
So they have solved the issues they had with tires popping off rims mid-run?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts