Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ibmkidIII and I are carpooling it up from Longmont, should be there by 9am. The little dirt pullout on the road into Happy Valley/Camp Dick campgrounds, just before the wooden bridge.

Planning on some big loops/mileage, with some good climbing, and some good descending. Up there, 'cause it's close to drive, and I've gotta work in tomorrow night.

Dave

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kitchenware said:
Slacker.

How's that new bike?

feelin' good. though rigid for now. the z-1 is at 'zocchi getting a new steer tube pressed in (needed just a bit more, to have some adjustability-wanted my stem/bars higher). rode dakota/RR/morisson slide loop yesterday. even with the nokian up front to soften things, it still rattled my teeth a bit. should have the fork back sometime next week. the wrist is still a little sore once in a while, too. took a pretty good knock.

not sure if i'll be on it, or the SS tomorrow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
what are you driving

what kind of car are you driving? Not too sure what to think about this trail. Read a lot of reviews that say it's too rocky. Obviously you like it if you are going up there for some riding. Let's hear your review. Probably see you there in the morning.
Dave - Blue Subaru-

·
Registered
434 Posts
Made the trip up there, but couldn't find Happy valley/Camp Dick. Went into Nederland and north on 72 to the CU research place. I assume that I was at the wrong place. How do I get to Happy Valley? Hope to see you there next time.
Dave

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Rally Blue said:
Made the trip up there, but couldn't find Happy valley/Camp Dick. Went into Nederland and north on 72 to the CU research place. I assume that I was at the wrong place. How do I get to Happy Valley? Hope to see you there next time.
Dave
Hey Ralley Blue. Sourdough runs north-south on the west side of the Peak to Peak (72/119/7). The CU Research lot is the southern terminus and the Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley side is the northern terminus. The fastest way to Camp Dick from Boulder is to go North on 36 to Lyons. At the "end" of Lyons on the west side, go left (like you're going to Hall Ranch) and drive up 7 to the Peak to Peak. Past Raymond/Riverside, you'll come to an intersection where you can go south on 119. Hit that and go for about 3-4 miles. Camp Dick/Peaceful Valley will be on your right. From North Boulder, it'll take about 50 minutes.

Lots of folks complain about the "rockiness" of Sourdough, but most of us here think that to be part of its allure. The riding on Sourdough generally gets rockier and more technical as you go North. Starting from Camp Dick can net more options and more technical rides than starting from the southern side at the research station. I'll be heading up there in a couple of weeks. I'll post when I go.

If anyone can make it, come on up to Lyons for the group ride - Thurs at 6:30pm at the visitor's center. We ride Hall.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Actually...

ignazjr said:
Past Raymond/Riverside, you'll come to an intersection where you can go south on 119
Uhh, not to be picky, but that's south on State Highway 72 :) Good thing that you have that GPS :D Though you know this end of the county better than almost anyone! (Well, you, Bernie, and Miguel).

Hopefully I'll be able to join one of your shop rides in another six weeks or so, though I'll need to handicap you one pedal :p

Site's lookin' nice! (redstonecyclery.com)

Oh, BTW...the Sourdough rocks :rolleyes: And BOA is going to reroute some of it just north of Brainard. Finally, trailwork that actually needs doing!

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Yup...we were on the north end....how'd you like the trail? We put together Wapti, Waldorf, Sourdough, SSV trails and a little Hwy 72 for a great loop.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
daveM said:
Uhh, not to be picky, but that's south on State Highway 72 :) Good thing that you have that GPS :D Though you know this end of the county better than almost anyone! (Well, you, Bernie, and Miguel).

Hopefully I'll be able to join one of your shop rides in another six weeks or so, though I'll need to handicap you one pedal :p

Site's lookin' nice! (redstonecyclery.com)

Oh, BTW...the Sourdough rocks :rolleyes: And BOA is going to reroute some of it just north of Brainard. Finally, trailwork that actually needs doing!
er, yeah, 72. I just drive... And don't leave yourself out of that list, either!

With regard to the Sourdough area, I recently heard that the forest service is open to more mountain bike trails up in that neck of the woods. I was told to expect some public meetings for comment within the next couple of months. Apparently, the Boulder Ranger District is very pro mountain bike. Good to have at least one land manager on our side! I'll post more when I know more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts