Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2005 SX Trail and while I love it, I would probably love it even more if I can just slacken the head angle off a little more.

Once obvious way to achieve this is the put a longer travel fork on, but that's a sledge hammer to crack a walnut and I don't need more than the 160mm I already have courtesy of the Fox Van 36s.

The other way is some sort of retro-mountable shock shuttle. I am already using the 68.5 degree version; going to 67 would be good a la the 2006 SX Trail.

I've tried using the shuttle mounts from the '06 model frame but the mounting bolts are spaced differently. Any have any other ideas or know of any way around this short of buying the 2006 frame itself (which is still very tempting!)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
geetee1972 said:
I have the 2005 SX Trail and while I love it, I would probably love it even more if I can just slacken the head angle off a little more.

Once obvious way to achieve this is the put a longer travel fork on, but that's a sledge hammer to crack a walnut and I don't need more than the 160mm I already have courtesy of the Fox Van 36s.

The other way is some sort of retro-mountable shock shuttle. I am already using the 68.5 degree version; going to 67 would be good a la the 2006 SX Trail.

I've tried using the shuttle mounts from the '06 model frame but the mounting bolts are spaced differently. Any have any other ideas or know of any way around this short of buying the 2006 frame itself (which is still very tempting!)
Seems like a different shock shuttle would work, but a taller fork would do it too ('05 66RC or maybe a Boxxer Ride?). I guess it depends whether you want the bike higher or lower overall.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get one of those plus 5 cane creek headsets, they have an extra long lower cup to provide clearence for adjusters on forks that catch on a bikes downtube, that wold raise the front end and slacken it in the process

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chris said:
24" rear wheel?
I've put my 24" bighit wheel in my SX trail, just for the fun of it.
The wheel dish was a little off, the bighit has a zero dish wheel, while the SX has the regular 6* offset.
When I measured the BB height it was around 13.5" which is pretty close to some ultra low DH race bikes.
But when I did a test run, my pedal hit the ground in the first corner and several times after that.
I have 170mm cranks.
Some DH racers like an ultra low BB, but it didn't work for me.
Plus Racing with a 24" rear wheel is possible, but IMHO not the best option.

Can't you find a CNC-shop and let them make custom shock shuttles ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.