Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently only have a rigid bikesdirect SS 29er and want a better bike.

Many of the places I ride are very rough/rocky-rooty and technical, but don't have that much elevation. People seem to generally ride dual sus trail bikes where I ride.

Would something like a Kona Honzo/Taro or Airborne Goblin Evo make sense for this type of riding? I see them listed as all-mountain, so not sure if they make as much sense if I'm not pointing down as much.

I was considering a Giant Trance or something, but the idea of less maintenance and a cheaper bike appeals to me.

Thanks
TManiac

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think you could benefit from the "AM hardtail 29er" geometry.

Honestly both my Paradox and Yelliscreamy are fun on the a flats. They're not a screamin' fast XC bike but once you get them up to speed, and keep your momentum, you can have a fair bit of fun. Over the rough stuff you'll probably find that geometry more stable and happier to stick to a rough line.

Personally I'd stick to around 120mm of travel, going to 140-160 will just be more of a chore on the flats.

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
The idea of less maintenance and a cheaper bike appeals to me.
Like my trails plus some medium fast downs and short steep ups.
I am going with a Superfly 9.6 because of the compliance of the carbon frame and a Titus Fireline Evo ht build for the titanium compliance. I'll see how they compare this season. I have ridden the Superfly and it will be hard to beat. You get trail feel absent from a Fuel Ex and can handle the same terrain.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It's less about where you ride and more about how you ride. Steep angles are for xc racerboi. Slacker is funner. I like my AM HTs for drops, boulder step downs, and any number of technical items. My local trails are pretty xc, but I am an AM rider at heart.

I value progression over speed, and this type of bike fits that mentality well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I am just subbing to this since it sounds very similar to my situation. I also have a BD rigid SS and would like to get back to something more plush. The new area I live in is very flat but also the trails are very rooty like the OP.

I personally prefer slack bikes but I like to sit while climbing... So I see the thinking here already that maybe a slack FS instead of a HT would be better. Man I guess I am just being cheap...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tend to gravitate towards standing when climbing, but I mix it up.

I am definitely not an XC racerboi. I ride for fun and a bit of exercise but I am not trying to set any land speed records.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. Sounds like this is a viable choice.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Marin makes a 650b that my LBS shop guys were raving about (and they are DH/AM at heart). I have an Intense Hard Eddie that I love. I am not as fast on some of the downs vs. my LTc but it is very capable and a ton of fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.