Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05' Small Cove G-spot and I recently put an 03' Super-T on it up front. I love this fork but since the head angle is super slack right now it feels hella unstable at slow speeds.
I've also been running a 26 up front and a 24 in back which I plan to switch (dual 26's) but even still with throwing a spare 26 on the back, it still feels like it wants to flop over when I turn and steer really slow with alot of resistance.

Is this a head angle issue and what can I do besides get a smaller travel fork? I'd really prefer not to lose travel up front. But if this is the only option, what fork do you suggest?

Also, I am told I can go with a longer stroke rear shock which which will jack up the back end slightly enough to level out the angle a few degrees.

Attached is a crappy res out of focus pic so you can sorta see that it does'nt look ridiculously slack but it feels wicked sloppy.

Attachments

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get used to what... you mean falling 6 feet off a skinny into spleen piercing bramble? No thanks!

I've felt how nimble this exact frame can be with a z150 on it, but before I go and settle for a fork thats not going to perform as well as the one I have right now I'm just looking for some other alternatives.

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snaps... but really, I'm sure you know what it feels like when you jump on a bike and it just feels like you can stick technical lines with confidence because of the geometry. Thats what I'm shooting for here. I feel like I've changed my riding style to suit the improper size and setup of basicly everybike I've owned so far and I'm just trying to turn a corner with this one. (no pun intended)

·
Registered
361 Posts
LoozinSkin said:
Get used to what... you mean falling 6 feet off a skinny into spleen piercing bramble? No thanks!

I've felt how nimble this exact frame can be with a z150 on it, but before I go and settle for a fork thats not going to perform as well as the one I have right now I'm just looking for some other alternatives.
I put my Z-150 next to my super t and I am pretty sure the crowns were the same height, So I am thinkin that its all in your head broham.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
You could see if you could get a shorter stack headset maybe...not sure.

Your options are limited since the 03 Super T's crowns are un-adjustable. That headangle isnt that horrible anyway...put a 05 66 170mm on it then you see a whack headangle.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
If indeed you can install a slightly longer rear shock to get a more optimum head angle and some more rear travel to boot, I'd do it. I have a Bullit I've done this with to match an '02 Monster T, and it worked great as a very well balanced bike. Does your Cove have a short wheelbase? That might also exaggerate what you're feeling in the handling with that fork.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,000 Posts
Ace_Jellyfish said:
the a-c between the z150 and the super T is only 20 mm. you should be able to make that up pretty easy with the 26 in the back. im guessing its in your head.
I agree...why the 24 inch in the first place

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, The 24 in back is carried over from my last bike. (Norco Atomik) As I said earlier I've had a history of riding bikes that dont fit and since it so big for me the only thing I could do to lower the stand over is drop it down with a 24 in the back.

Thanks for the input though, I may try to run a longer stroke shock in back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
you might also try putting on a stiffer spring in back. a longer fork will change the weight bias and you will sink lower into the travel in back when you're on the bike. If you havent checked your sag since you made the switch, take a look.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i dont think that is a 05 cove g-spot. but beside that i have a 02 monster on mine and am running 26 inch wheel front and rear and it ride great. i have not had any problems with it. your bike isnt even really slacked out. as for the longer shock stroke i am not sure you can run it. i called cove and they said there might be a problem with the upper linkage hitting the seat toube when it compresses all the way. hope this helps.

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WATTO said:
o yeah here is mine notice how are frames are the same mine is a 03 :confused:
yeah thats wierd. it looks fine with the monster on there. Maybe I am taking crazy pills.
Anyways... not important but these are different frames. Yours have the cable guides on the upperside of the top tube and on mine they are on the lower side. Also your whole rear triangle is a differnt shape of tubing from what I can see but like I said not important.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ok yeah it didnt notice that little stuff look close to the same. but you might want to just try and switch it to a 26 incher in the rear. which sounds weird because i thought that a 24 in the rear makes a bike more stable at lower speed but i may be wrong.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
WATTO said:
ok yeah it didnt notice that little stuff look close to the same. but you might want to just try and switch it to a 26 incher in the rear. which sounds weird because i thought that a 24 in the rear makes a bike more stable at lower speed but i may be wrong.
I thought 24s made it more stable at higher speeds because of the dropped BB height and lowered center of gravity.

It really doesn't look all that slack. A 26 rear will help. A low stack headset will help. A lower profile tire up front and a taller tire in the rear. Longer eye to eye shock. All of those will help to steepen your front end.

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So here's the official response from Cove:

"Thanks for the email,
The Gspot was designed around the SuperT fork for freeriding and light downhill here in North Vancouver. The trails here require a slacker than normal geometry. This is what makes our bikes handle so well on the trail. Once the bike is pointed down it behaves like a xc bike does on flat ground. It wasn't designed to be this awesome climbing xc racer. It is a freeride bike which, in some peoples perception, rides like a pig. However you can make it perform a bit better.
First; there is no need for the 24" rear wheel unless you are only 4' 8" tall or a little girl. This is gonna make your bike too slack with the 6.5" fork on the front.
Second; What were you riding before? Was it a hardtail?
Finding a fork with a low ride height will help. The SuperT is kinda tall, but you can try a Manitou slider in 6" and it'll be steeper.
Thanks
Brian"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.