Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the real world weight difference between the 07 mavic sl and slr wheel sets? Just looking to see whether or not it is worth trading the sl's for the bling bling slr's ;)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Upgradeitis ALWAYS makes it Ok. :D

- IIRC, Nino's Ceramic, Rim Brake set is about 1400 grams, and I've weighed 2 Disc set's at a tick above 1500 grams minus QR's & pie-plate.

Sorry but I never checked the 06' SL's. Try Weight-Weenies maybe.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
100g lighter?

eurorider said:
I think they are the same weight if you don't include the skewers. SL has steel skewers, SLR has Ti skewers.
if i'm right the SLs are about 100g heavier than the new SLRs.
my V-Brake SLR weighs 1421g

and i would pay twice the money just to get black wheels. i just can't stand the silver Mavics.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
The 07 sl & slrs are the same wheels, except the slr's come w/ti skewers & wheel bags(& are black). I switched from the 06 sl's to the 07 sl's, both 6 bolt, and going from memory it was like 40 something for the rear & 50 something for the front, grams less then the 06. Sorry, but my memory is bad & I didn't write it down.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
wheelbag and skewers...

velo bum said:
The 07 sl & slrs are the same wheels, except the slr's come w/ti skewers & wheel bags(& are black). I switched from the 06 sl's to the 07 sl's, both 6 bolt, and going from memory it was like 40 something for the rear & 50 something for the front, grams less then the 06. Sorry, but my memory is bad & I didn't write it down.:rolleyes:
when you see what some people pay for these items on Ebay you are wise to pickup the new SLRs.

i will definitely sell the bags and skewers.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
AnthemRacer asked about the weight difference between 07 SL and SLR. He's obviously talking about discs wheels nino since there is no 07 SL v-brake... In which case, I was correct that there is no weight difference between 07 SL and 07 SLR. The only difference is SLR has Ti skewers which are a bit lighter. If you use lightweight skewers like Tune, then you wouldn't care about that anyway.

The silver is so hideous eh? Or maybe you won't make as much profit on the SL compared to the SLR?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
sorry

eurorider said:
AnthemRacer asked about the weight difference between 07 SL and SLR. He's obviously talking about discs wheels nino since there is no 07 SL v-brake... In which case, I was correct that there is no weight difference between 07 SL and 07 SLR. The only difference is SLR has Ti skewers which are a bit lighter. If you use lightweight skewers like Tune, then you wouldn't care about that anyway.

The silver is so hideous eh? Or maybe you won't make as much profit on the SL compared to the SLR?
i don't know the SLs weight since i find them so butt ugly that i simply didn't want to know. that was a big step back in design. same for the roadwheels.

as a disc-wheelset i wouldn't choose them anyway. too much money. you might have read the latest issues of VTT or Velo Vert so you should know which wheels would have been the redactors choice;)

i usually don't sell Mavic wheels but if you want some rest assured i have some pretty descent prices as well:D

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think any sensible person who wants Crossmax Disc would go for the SL. You have to think if a change in colour and Ti skewers warrants the price difference. And not everyone wants to be riding on the same black wheels.

Your prices are nothing special. Actually quite high considering you operate out of the MTBR forums and "do it on the side". You are a sculpter by profession afterall. There's always better prices elsewhere...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
hmm...

eurorider said:
I think any sensible person who wants Crossmax Disc would go for the SL. You have to think if a change in colour and Ti skewers warrants the price difference. And not everyone wants to be riding on the same black wheels.

Your prices are nothing special. Actually quite high considering you operate out of the MTBR forums and "do it on the side". You are a sculpter by profession afterall. There's always better prices elsewhere...
maybe you should check again then...;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought they were the same weight.... just wanted to see if anyone had done a comparison. Of course I like the looks a little better, but not for the $. thanks all, for the info

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is what Mavic say about the weights of the SL and SLRs:

Front Rear
SL 650g 820g
SLR 600g 820g

From their website:

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/c/co...h_crossmaxsl.jpg&detail=610&dimcomparateur=30

I recently bought a set of V-brake SLs and, according to post office scales, they weigh 632g for the front and 790g for the rear. Total 1422g. Only 1g heavier than Nino's SLRs.

I'm not very vain, so I don't mind silver components if they're much cheaper. I would pay a bit extra not to have purple though :)

-Mark.

·
Registered
967 Posts
just to add some more data to the comparisons - just picked up a new bike with 2007 crossmax SL 6 bolt disc wheels - front 710 grams, rear 860 grams for a total of 1570. that's wheels only - no skewers, no valves. for the record the skewers were 111 grams.

lighter than i expected for the wheels - doesn't mean i'm keeping them though - my industry9 build with stans rims weighs 1445 grams, is stiffer, has better hubs (reliability and engagement) and sounds/looks way cool.

·
Go faster!
1,127 Posts
In mavic website we can’t find any '07 Crossmax SL wheelset, but is logical that there are some minor changes/improvements for the same wheels build in 2007... So I would call them Crossmax SL 2007 anyway.
Now I'd like to know how are the rims of Crossmax SL compared to SLR? Are they smaller and narrower like SLR? Are they the same?
Does anybody have pictures or true measures of the SL rims and hubs? I can’t find that info on mavic website.

·
Seriously ?
227 Posts
There is no Crossmax SL rim brake version for 07. The SL 07 is only available in disc version and if you want the rim brake wheel the SLR is the only option (aside the midrange models).

That said, the SL disc and SLR disc share the same narrow, 17mm, rim.

Gui

·
Go faster!
1,127 Posts
17mm wide?? That is so narrow! My croosmax 03 vbrake version has 23mm wide and they are so thin....

Anyone has close pictures of the SL and SLR rims for v-brake? Nino can u help out?
Thanks

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Mavic's rim width measures are the internal width.

People seem very confused when it's so simple:

06 and before: Crossmax SL, available in rim or disc brake (6-bolts or centerlock) versions, 19mm internal width. Also available with a Lefty front wheel.

07: Crossmax SL and SLR disc: same wheels except the skewers. Since both are the exact same wheels, they both have the new hubs and narrower 17mm rims and are lighter than the previous years. Only the SLR are available in rim brake version and in Lefty front versions...

·
Go faster!
1,127 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Mavic's rim width measures are the internal width.

People seem very confused when it's so simple:

06 and before: Crossmax SL, available in rim or disc brake (6-bolts or centerlock) versions, 19mm internal width. Also available with a Lefty front wheel.

07: Crossmax SL and SLR disc: same wheels except the skewers. Since both are the exact same wheels, they both have the new hubs and narrower 17mm rims and are lighter than the previous years. Only the SLR are available in rim brake version and in Lefty front versions...
Ok. got it. But im interested in the v-brake version: SL's or SLR's. I'm trying to find all the dferences between these wheels: rims, rim widths, hub widths, hubs internals.. etc. we know allready that the QR are titanium.

·
Registered
967 Posts
sergio_pt said:
Ok. got it. But im interested in the v-brake version: SL's or SLR's. I'm trying to find all the dferences between these wheels: rims, rim widths, hub widths, hubs internals.. etc. we know allready that the QR are titanium.
well then it's even easier - there is no rim brake version of the SL for 2007 so your only choice is the SLR.

if you're talking about the difference between 2006 SL and 2007 SLR then it's
- the skewers
- the colours
- the narrower rim
- the better freehub
- the new hub shells

1 - 20 of 29 Posts