Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well last week my Buddy took the LBS shop demo 08 Sl out on its maiden voyage.

and then after the ride , he did Wheelie on a teeter . and from personal experiance I can tell you that is very bad Idea to do, usually with results like this

·
Registered
97 Posts
Circusjunk said:
Well last week my Buddy took the LBS shop demo 08 Sl out on its maiden voyage.

and then after the ride , he did Wheelie on a teeter . and from personal experiance I can tell you that is very bad Idea to do, usually with results like this

Clearly the reflector on his front wheel threw off his balance. That's why he fell!

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Nice Pics!

Hi Iceman,

Thanks for sharing the pictures; it's great to see someone hucking the SL. I have a Santa Cruz VP Free so I use that as my weapon of choice when air is in the offing. I mostly use the SL for trail use and love it for that application.:D That said I've been comfortable on the SL on 3-4 foot drops to good transitions but I don't have any pictures to share.

Thanks, again, for the eye candy!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michael,

I WISH I had a VP Free for the rougher stuff....but since I am strictly limited to one bike according to the ministry of finance, the SL has to do it all.

e-bo-b, thanks for sharing. Looks like you were having a blast. Speaking of friends with cameras, for today's ride I brought a friend who knows his way around a (=my) camera. He took some pretty cool shots:

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
I would have pics of me riding it, but i've blown 2 rear shocks and a fork in 2 months, so i has put a damper on my riding time. I have had to ride XC on my DH bike

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Iceman2058 said:
Michael,

I WISH I had a VP Free for the rougher stuff....but since I am strictly limited to one bike according to the ministry of finance, the SL has to do it all.

e-bo-b, thanks for sharing. Looks like you were having a blast. Speaking of friends with cameras, for today's ride I brought a friend who knows his way around a (=my) camera. He took some pretty cool shots:

Hi Iceman,

Wow!:eekster: I'm impressed; these are professional looking pictures from both the technical aspect as well as the composition. Very nice!!

Thanks,

Michael:thumbsup:

PS
Since you obviously like the VP Free I'll allow myself a small thread hijack and share a few of me on the Santa Cruz from Whistler and my backyard.:blush:
Practice Drop In Area at Whistler:
Clothing Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Middle GLC Drop at Whistler:
Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

5 Foot Drop in my back yard:
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike

Small Gap in my back yard:
Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Fun with friends in my back yard:
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice hijack! :D

Whistler...VP Free.....looks like fun!!!!!! Dammit I want to go.

Thanks for the props on the pics. I'll pass your comments to the photographer...I know he's stoked about them because it was the first time he tried this kind of stuff on MTB pics....he'd done mostly theoretical stuff in a photography class before...but he obviously knows a lot more about it than I do (I mainly use my DSLR as an advanced point and shoot in auto mode....sad I know....).

PS. I like your backyard - always did! Ideal for spending time fooling around when you don't want to drive off somewhere. Wish I had one just like it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How many bike shops per mile on the Arizona trails???

Very impressive pictures, Marshall Willanholly! Minus 4 Degrees Celcius, muddy, wet & dull here in the UK; so great to see tee-shirt riding In Arizona (not)!!

Especially impressed by the first picture (staggered effect); I've assumed it was taken with a digital camera and not using separate SLR transparencies(?). What photographic technique has been employed to create this?

…………Or is it not down to the results of any clever photographic effect at all(?). Moreover, merely a multi-frame representation of the number of instances that the bike needed to be returned to the bike shop with Specialized's E150 Forks or AFR Shock related problems through the overall distance travelled shown. Before, that is, your girlfriend clearly had the sense to fit an alternative to these Mickey Mouse reliability own-brand components? (cynicism based on my own love/hate relationship experience of my 2007 Enduro SL Pro [and the frustrations aired throughout many threads on this site by other disparaged owners]) :rolleyes:

Seriously though; top pics :thumbsup:

·
on a routine expedition
1,584 Posts
Lipps64 said:
Especially impressed by the first picture (staggered effect); I've assumed it was taken with a digital camera and not using separate SLR transparencies(?). What photographic technique has been employed to create this?
Thanks for the kind words. I did a step-by-step on the sequence technique in another thread a while back. It's near the bottom.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3300428#post3300428

·
Registered
282 Posts
Marshall Willanholly = David Bailey of the Arizona trails

Marshall Willanholly

The sequence effect looks so cool!!

Without getting all geeky on you, I'd love to give it a try too............

1. Is there a necessity to go high-end specification with the digital camera employed
(what would you say are the minimum requirements)?

2. What software is employed? Photoshop?

Do you happen to know if there is a tutorial on the web anywhere?

.............If nothing else, at least learning how this technique is achieved, will avoid me inadvertently making the mistake of "duplicating" my own girlfriend (Jeez! Perish the thought!!!!) :p

·
on a routine expedition
1,584 Posts
Lipps64 said:
Marshall Willanholly

The sequence effect looks so cool!!

Without getting all geeky on you, I'd love to give it a try too............

1. Is there a necessity to go high-end specification with the digital camera employed
(what would you say are the minimum requirements)?

2. What software is employed? Photoshop?

Do you happen to know if there is a tutorial on the web anywhere?

.............If nothing else, at least learning how this technique is achieved, will avoid me inadvertently making the mistake of "duplicating" my own girlfriend (Jeez! Perish the thought!!!!) :p
1. I don't think you need a high-end camera, just one that has a "continuous" mode (camera keeps taking shots as long as you hold the shutter button down).

2. I used Photoshop, but there is probably other software that will do the same thing. If you follow the link in my last post, there's a step-by-step tutorial on how I did my sequence shots.

1 - 20 of 412 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.