Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm racing this on my Retrotec single speed. You should race it too.

Please join us at the 19th Annual Skyline MTB XC race, Sunday June 23.
Your low entry fee of $35 nets you not only incredibly fun and challenging singletrack, but also a delicious pizza from Azzurro Pizzeria. We'll also have a super limited supply of a hella™ rad shirt from KenjiDesigns. Did we mention we donate a whopping portion of the proceeds from the race back to the park? Yes we do.

Added bonus: Race Your Maker
You have the opportunity to race a bunch of guys that make incredible mountain bikes and parts here in the good ol' US of A... people like Retrotec, Steve Rex, Paul Components, Soulcraft and many more. They'll be camping at Skyline Saturday night as well, so if you want to pony up for a site, they'll be happy to have you join them around the campfire. (Check it out on meetyourmakertour.com)

Register here:
www.bikemonkey.net/eventreg/skyline2013/

This is a throwback, hard-ass, technical, rocky, difficult race in beautiful terrain. Monsters of rock have won here, you might be next. Either way, tell me about your race over a beer Sunday, June 23. If I can still talk after my race, I'll tell you about mine.

Morgan

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
I was curious too, and found it on the webpage pretty easily. Also, I think the race has it's own facebook page.
Familiar with the trails up there just the route didn't jump out at me on skyline site. Did find while surfing FB page. Watching Han's video from last year thru me as they all went up Lake Marie fire road, not up Buckeye as planned for Sport and above for this year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The race has always started up Lake Marie rd for the first lap. The the second and third lap it goes up Buckeye. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've always wanted to do this race but every year seem to have a conflict... last year my brother's wedding, this year my three-year-old's birthday. too bad, looks like one of the better/rockier/more fun xc courses in the bay area. hope lots of people show up and race so that they can keep putting on the event, so I can race it one of these years!

·
I want to ride my bicycle
256 Posts
perfect? you mean they converted all the rocky stuff to smooth flow trail? yeah, i'm in!
Well, there has been a bit of sanitation here and there, but definitely not "flow trail" smooth. Marie Creek and Manzanita still have enough chunk to keep things interesting!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I hate to be Chicken Little, but the NASCAR race is also this weekend in Sonoma. Traffic through Napa is going to be a little bit of a mess. Try to get there early.

Then once you're finished just sit around for 3.5 hours for post-race awards, garrr.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was wrong, traffic was FINE. Race was plenty of fun, really awesome. And since I didn't podium I didn't have to wait around!

Sounded like a rider was airlifted out, though. Hope they are alright.

·
I want to ride my bicycle
256 Posts
Levi won Pro category (who's surprised?). I witnessed the rider who crashed on the rock "waterfall" on Manzanita trail. Luckily we did not need to airlift him, but he is definitely lucky, it was a BAD fall!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Really more of a fun ride than a race for me...not in race shape. Levi zipped pass me on a climb along with the rest of the pro/expert field. In previous years, I used to try and finish my two laps before Mark W. & Jason M. caught me finishing their third lap.
Course was a bit different than the past, but I enjoyed it. Didn't feel too good with the life flight heli hovering over the course towards the end of the race. I saw a course marshal walking a bloodied guy down the trail, so I'm not sure if the heli was for him? Skyline is always a good event, and the course is challenging. Kudos to Eagle Cycling and everyone working the event...fun race.

·
J-Flo
1,739 Posts
Sorry I could not make it. Sounds like fun and one to put on the calendar for next year. I enjoyed getting passed by Leipheimer at the Tamarancho race. I was racing Cat 3 and was towards the back of the pack headed up Broken Dam when Levi, then on his second lap, roared past at incredible speed after very courteously calling out way in advance, twice, that he was coming up quickly so I had plenty of time to safely prepare for him to pass. I did not realize it was him until later. In fact all of the pros were very courteous (when they passed me).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts