Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question as me and some buddies are trying to decide what to do for "guys day off" sort of riding adventure before the summer riding season comes to an end.

Our skill levels are somewhat similar, but they do range. I'd say from something like "Advanced intermediate" (dabbling in black trails, typically trying/doing all optional features on most blue trails) down to maybe something like a "beginning intermediate" (rides the blues, maybe not all features, etc). So we're trying to have a fun guys day out, and want to make sure we aren't trying to ride something that isn't appropriate for the whole group.

Here are my main questions:
  • How difficult is Skyline?
    • I've heard it called a "dark blue" before. Is it easier than OTG at Tiger, Evolution at Galbraith, or Upper Poppin tops at Raging? Similar?
    • The videos online make it look like a bit of a cross between the front half of raging river (flow state/poppin tops), and some of the narrower stuff at places like Lord Hill (Wishbone, Goldeney/Third Eye). Just curious if anyone would say those are vaguely similar, or if I'm not adjusting as much as I need for the gopro effect
  • Is the lower half after the road crossing easier?
    • Ie, can we do "half laps", and do what looks from youtube videos to be the easier half of the trail, to either warm up, or see if the whole trail system will be "too much" for our group?
  • Can you actually do "half laps" with a shuttle rig?
    • It looks like from the map, you can probably do the shuttle path, but just not go all the way up, and get off/unload at "pathfinder"?
    • Also from the map, it looks like you can pedal up "road climb"?
      • Can you drive a vehicle up road climb, and do these "half shuttles" that way? It looks like its a forest road from the map, but is it allowed, or are there gates/something that would prevent this path?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone :D.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,000 Posts
It's steeper IMO, that's the main issue compared to other "blues" that you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's steeper IMO, that's the main issue compared to other "blues" that you mentioned.
Got it.

Looking at the elevation map in Trailforks for Skyline, it doesn't look too bad. But good to know that its steeper. For the most part though, I wouldn't say that Evo, Poppin tops, or OTG felt all that steep. So simply being steeper so far doesn't seem like it will be a huge problem.

Any idea on if we can do a half lap the way I'm thinking? Either by driving up to the road crossing on the south side of the mountain, or doing the main shuttle run on the north side over to Pathfinder? Just trying to keep our options open, and make sure no one is getting overwhelmed by getting dropped off at the top of the mountain :).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,000 Posts
Got it.

Looking at the elevation map in Trailforks for Skyline, it doesn't look too bad. But good to know that its steeper. For the most part though, I wouldn't say that Evo, Poppin tops, or OTG felt all that steep. So simply being steeper so far doesn't seem like it will be a huge problem.

Any idea on if we can do a half lap the way I'm thinking? Either by driving up to the road crossing on the south side of the mountain, or doing the main shuttle run on the north side over to Pathfinder? Just trying to keep our options open, and make sure no one is getting overwhelmed by getting dropped off at the top of the mountain :).
No, I've ridden all those other ones and they are not steep. It's been too long since I've ridden though to know about connectors and the other stuff, I may ride it half a week or so, but not sure yet. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to take Pathfinder. I'm not sure that all of the access roads are actually open? I know the main one is to get up to the top, but when I see roads like those I don't assume they are all open to cars, as in sometimes there are gates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
was there a month ago and the road to the lower part of skyline was still gated off. It’s not a bad pedal tho. Upper skyline is steeper flow tech. Lower has some jumps but it’s kinda gravely so trusty grip can be iffy depending on conditions. I would say absolutely do full skyline tho it’s an amazing trail and i think it will be just right for the skill level your describing. I love show case showdown but i always ride skyline at least once when there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.