Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ridden Skyline in a while, but someone stopped by the IMBA booth at Sea Otter and told me that the whole place, with the exception of two trails, has been sanitized and widened. He was told that this was for the benefit of the equestrians (odd, since the equestrians all seem to want singletrack in the East Bay, but whatever). Anyhow, I wanted to find out what's going on up there and see if there's a way to preserve the technical that's left.

Any local knowledge or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's true..

It was only my first visit last weekend so I didn't notice first hand. RatherBeRiding mentioned that a number of the trails had been widened in some sections, but I don't recall the names of those trails. Marie and Chaparral appeared to be untouched, as both were narrow and a little overgrown. Still plenty of technical sections to keep me busy though.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
NorCAMBA Prez said:
I haven't ridden Skyline in a while, but someone stopped by the IMBA booth at Sea Otter and told me that the whole place, with the exception of two trails, has been sanitized and widened.
Old, old news Shaun.

The major sanitization took place years ago when the southern side of Manzanita was destroyed ( http://www.petefagerlin.com/skyline1.htm ) but the rate of change has slowed down.

A number of additional features (the approach to the upper and lower skyline descents for example) have been eliminated in recent years but plenty of techy fun remains.

·
Aaron
107 Posts
Recent changes.

NorCAMBA Prez said:

Thanks.
Mr. Prez, When I rode there last Saturday with Biggz, I only noticed the upper section of Buckeye as having been recently graded - about the size of those little bobcat plows. Didn't venture on the lower section of Buckeye... The dirt was pretty fresh, probably within the last month. Anyway, that section was always a blast because it was narrow and twisty, but no longer. Other than that, I didn't notice any other fresh cuts, we rode chaparral, Marie Creek, and Manzanita.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Groomed just like a ski run...

NorCAMBA Prez said:
I haven't ridden Skyline in a while, but someone stopped by the IMBA booth at Sea Otter and told me that the whole place, with the exception of two trails, has been sanitized and widened. He was told that this was for the benefit of the equestrians (odd, since the equestrians all seem to want singletrack in the East Bay, but whatever). Anyhow, I wanted to find out what's going on up there and see if there's a way to preserve the technical that's left.

Thanks.[/QUOTE

I am new to the area but rode Skyline last weekend as well. I hopped on what was either the Bay Ridge Trail or Buckeye depending on which end you start from apparently...? Some sort of grooming machine had come through and 'sanitized' as you say. I have a skiing background and I could have sworn I was cruising a 'cat-track' at a ski resort; that's what it felt like? It was really weird actually. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.