Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scrambling to make use of a hall pass that just fell in my lap and thinking of hitting up Skyline tomorrow. Never been there, don't know where to go. I am a clueless Skyline noob destined to wander aimlessly, squandering a rare full day of freedom.

I'm looking for a ride suggestion/directions or better yet, someone to show me around. Who can help a brother out? (Tech singletrack preferred)

Thanks!
-slide

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
slide mon said:
I'm scrambling to make use of a hall pass that just fell in my lap and thinking of hitting up Skyline tomorrow. Never been there, don't know where to go. I am a clueless Skyline noob destined to wander aimlessly, squandering a rare full day of freedom.

I'm looking for a ride suggestion/directions or better yet, someone to show me around. Who can help a brother out? (Tech singletrack preferred)

Thanks!
-slide
You talking about Skyline Park in Napa or off Skyline Blvd here in the South Bay?

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,465 Posts
slide mon said:
I was talking about Napa. But if Skyline Blvd has epic singletrack then I'm talking about that too. Looking for good riding somewhere new and I've never been to either.
For Skyline Blvd in San Mateo, check out Skeggs/ECdM above Woodside - http://passiontrailbikes.com/pages/ECdM, There is a printable map that has a good, singletrack heavy loop. Lots of other stuff, though some of it may b closed for the season (the loop on the map normally does not have any seasonal closures).

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Both are epic but only one is legal. My favorite loop in Skyline Park (Napa) is from the golf course at Kennedy Park into the park, then up Buckeye to Lake Marie then Mazanita back around. Second loop is up Lake Marie Road all the way back to the lake then Chaparral Trail to Skyline Trail then back to the car. This is a really good ride but I won't be on that Skyline Saturday.
Here is a Skyline Park map:
http://www.ncfaa.com/skyline/fullmap.htm

If you want to see the goods I'll be hitting on Saturday you'll half to PM me.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
singlespeed.org said:
For Skyline Blvd in San Mateo, check out Skeggs/ECdM above Woodside - http://passiontrailbikes.com/pages/ECdM, There is a printable map that has a good, singletrack heavy loop. Lots of other stuff, though some of it may b closed for the season (the loop on the map normally does not have any seasonal closures).
Ah, I take it back. I have ridden skyline since I've been to Skeggs a couple times. But worst case scenario I can go back and take another crack at that resolution root. Thanks for the pointer to the map.

-slide

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JustScott said:
We tried to ride at Skyline in Napa on Thursday and it was closed for riding. Might be a good idea to call first:
http://www.ncfaa.com/skyline/about.htm
Say what? What was it closed for? Weather or some kind of budget thing? Plans heading south, grasping for straws... Maybe I'll spend the day sitting on a bar stool
and sneering out the window at passing Xmas shoppers....

-slide

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
They usually close for weather related impact and reopen a few days later. I'm thinking a Rockville run is in order for the morning if you're interested.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I assume it was for weather related reasons. We were meeting friends there and they got there first and called us to tell us it was closed, so I didn't get to find out why... we went to Oat Hill Mine Rd instead and it was fantastic - even more fun than Skyline!

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wg said:
They usually close for weather related impact and reopen a few days later. I'm thinking a Rockville run is in order for the morning if you're interested.
Hey Werner, still kicking around my options hoping someone will post up a thread about riding demo at 10 tomorrow. But if that doesn't happen I could be up for Rockville :) What time were you thinking of riding and how long do you think you'd be out for?

-slide

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,168 Posts
I've not been to Demo either but don't have that much of a free pass. I figure a 9:30 ish start. Then kick it around for a few hours.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Just finished a ride out there...it's in excellent shape! Aside from the River to Ridge section going past the looney bin (across the street from the Streblow/Community College parking area), there weren't any mud issues.

My favorite loop is River to Ridge>>Buckeye>>Skyline>> Chaparral>>Marie Creek Trail>>Fig Tree Cutover>>Passini Road>>Skyline Trail>>River to Riidge.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
El Castigador said:
Just finished a ride out there...it's in excellent shape! Aside from the River to Ridge section going past the looney bin (across the street from the Streblow/Community College parking area), there weren't any mud issues.

My favorite loop is River to Ridge>>Buckeye>>Skyline>> Chaparral>>Marie Creek Trail>>Fig Tree Cutover>>Passini Road>>Skyline Trail>>River to Riidge.
Sweet, sounds like it's open. Got a map and a couple ride suggestions. Werner, how about hittin skyline instead of Rockville?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,168 Posts
slide mon said:
Sweet, sounds like it's open. Got a map and a couple ride suggestions. Werner, how about hittin skyline instead of Rockville?
Very tempting but unfortunately Skyline gets me home too late. The other half has stuff to do.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great advice all around! Skyline is a lot closer to San Rafael than I realized, and the riding is good. And wtf, didn't see anyone past the top of Buckeye, the place is deserted! Will need to make many more trips there.

Trails varied from perfect to needing a bit more time to dry out. Here's my recollection:

River to Ridge - Due to a bit of confusion, did an out an back on this trail but don't regret it at all. Sweet trail in good condition except for a short stretch near the end. I bet a lot of people skip this trail but I think I got more air on this one than any other trail in the park.
Buckeye - pretty good, some slimy roots on the uphill.
Skyline - pretty good, but the section near the lake is a little ho-hum.
Chapparal - uphill was perfect. (anyone make those first two switchbacks uphill? I failed on both.) Descent from the top of bikers bypass was outrageously fun but a bit muddy.
Marie Creek - more killer trail, also a bit muddy.
Manzanita - Out and back. Perfect except for the section down by the golf course which was a little wet but not bad. Great trail!
Passini - ugh, a little wet
Skyline - pretty good.
Lower Skyline - lots of fun, but needs more time to dry out.
Went back up Skyline then turned around and went down. Kinda cooked on the uphill but the trip back down was second only to Chapparral/Marie Creek. A bit muddy.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's hard to roll the dice on some place new when the regular trails are in the best shape of the year but a little advice from the mtbr posse makes it a lot easier.

-slide

p.s. SilverDuc, think I was hitting the trail by the time you posted. Maybe next time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.