Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Scalpel 3000 skweek bad. It's very noisy, specially when both suspension are unlocked. I suspect the bottom bracket, as it skweek between each revolution. Any solution?

Twon

·
Registered
215 Posts
How long have you had the bike? Sounds like the bottom bracket but always start with the easiest things first: 1) Lube drivetrain including derailleur pivot points 2) Pull cranks and put a small amount of bearing grease at the spindle/crank connection 3) Remove pedals and lightly grease threads 4) Pull bottom bracket, clean thoroughly and reassemble with a small amount of grease on threads and between any spacers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,

I have the bike since 2 months now, but it was used. I don't know it the BB is shot. I'll go to my LBS after work since I don't have the proper tools to do it myself.

Twon

·
Registered
215 Posts
Twon said:
Thank you,

I have the bike since 2 months now, but it was used. I don't know it the BB is shot. I'll go to my LBS after work since I don't have the proper tools to do it myself.

Twon
Cool. Going to your LBS is a good idea at this point but the tools it takes to service your BB are few - 1) a large crescent wrench and 2) a BB tool like this(your BB may need a different model # but they are all similar) http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...-42-Tools/Park-BBT-2-Bottom-Bracket-Tool-.htm

My BB was recently on the verge of being seized and it took putting my bike in a proper repair stand and getting some really good leverage before I was able to get it to release. It was my fault since I had let it go too long before doing routine maintenance on it. Your ride comes with a sealed BB and all that should need to be done is to have the contact surfaces of your BB and BB shell cleaned really well and relubricated. Good luck.

- Chip

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

My bottom bracket is fine, it appears that I have noisy bushings. My closest bike store can't do anything since they don't carry the line. The closest Cannondale bike store won't have my bike ready before May, they are too busy. Since I didn't buy my Scalpel there, I'm not expecting any favor here.

What can I do to fix this problem? How do I uninstall the bushing? Do I need to lubricated them or replace the whole thing. Please, help me, it's very annoying, my Cannondale turned unto a Crackendale. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I see you're in Montreal, you went to ABC? They are crazy busy at this time of the year so it's not surprising they can't do it right now. Maybe you should try other Cannondale dealers in the region like bicyclette Montreal-Nord or Primeau to check if they can help you faster. I prefer to deal with ABC since I bought both my Cannondales there and they know me a bit but in your case, I'd check other options.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dan Gerous said:
I see you're in Montreal, you went to ABC? They are crazy busy at this time of the year so it's not surprising they can't do it right now. Maybe you should try other Cannondale dealers in the region like bicyclette Montreal-Nord or Primeau to check if they can help you faster. I prefer to deal with ABC since I bought both my Cannondales there and they know me a bit but in your case, I'd check other options.
Yes, ABC is the first place I went. They are way too damn busy, I'm sure Joe is a millionnaire now. I'll go to Primeau, they look legit

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Twon said:
Yes, ABC is the first place I went. They are way too damn busy, I'm sure Joe is a millionnaire now. I'll go to Primeau, they look legit
Hey Twon, did you finally go to Montreal-Nord? I went there tonight and they had a nice black Scalpel 3000 on a workstand with the rear end apparently being worked on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan Gerous said:
Hey Twon, did you finally go to Montreal-Nord? I went there tonight and they had a nice black Scalpel 3000 on a workstand with the rear end apparently being worked on.
No, wasn't mine. I'll give them a call because at Primeau, they are pretty busy too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts