Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need some advise with my bike, SS Salsa WoodSmoke, under heavy load ( uphill and stand up ) some times the chain skip and can hear a clap noise coming from the rear cog, I`m new SS converted and been playing with the spacer but still have that problem only under heavy load.
Im using 32/18 and been moving the spacers in/out for a bit.
I drop the chain few times but now is just skipping. any advise will be appreciate .
Ill been using a cheap SS cog and spacer ($18 amazon kit, and using SS chain. may be is that the Problem)

Im about to replace the rear cog with a Wolftooth 18 cog

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Could be a few things:
1. Frame flexing under load. Possible with that elevated chainstay. You'll need to consult with other Woodsmoke owners.

2. Work out or damaged drivetrain- cog, ring, or chain. Check them all. Flimsy thin steel cogs don't help. I am a fan of bomb-proof Surly cogs.

3. Skipping hub- a thrashed bearing, sticking pawls, or just a weak design could skip.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
2. Work out or damaged drivetrain- cog, ring, or chain. Check them all. Flimsy thin steel cogs don't help. I am a fan of bomb-proof Surly cogs.
I've found this to be the most common but agree the high chainstay, it could be flexing just enough. Is everything brand new or come from another bike? If some parts have miles on them, then simply being worn out is a strong possibility.

I too am a fan of the Surly cogs. They might be a little heavier but they'll never let you down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys some clarification :
brand new bike with components, using a cheap SS kit from amazon cost me $17 the steel cog and the spacers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QSCG3FX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I`m about to replace the rear cog for this model:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com...aluminum-single-speed-cog?variant=19352756037

Front chain ring is sram GX 32, also I`m using a SS 1/8 chain:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QD2G4Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the advise really appreciate

Do you guys think I should replaced for a 10 speed chain?
I went to the trial yesterday and all was good, no drop or noise on the same trail without any adjustments. Im still going to install the new cog and may be replacing the chain, SS is new to me. on few hill I was about to puke (normal) and after finish my legs are on fired, feels good tho.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i had the same issues when i first "singelspeeded" my stache. i found with the elevated stays you gotta keep the tension just right (well more so than on my older diamond frames). after my chain stretched a little (4-5 rides where i experienced popping like you are) it seems to all play nice together now; it hasn't popped on me in 2-3 months. good luck! light carbon frames are such fun singlespeeds. dig the matchy niner fork!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
I install a new chain 8 speed sram and new cog (wolftooth),
try over the weekend and all went good half of the ride , skipping the chain or the popping noise was gone until one of the step hill.
Try that section 2 times:
1.- pedal on sit position and noting happen I clear the section without a problem.
2.-I try again the same section but this time I stand up and pedal and the pop noise come back just 1 time, enough to lose momentum but after that never come back.
Ride back to back 2 days and just happen on technical section uphill and only when I try stand up on the pedals. never happen sit up.
Next step will be replacing the rear wheel (going to try with hope hub right now are cheap formula hub)
or may be im a bit heavy 250lb?

Thanks for all the advise guys
I appreciate

Attachments

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
Assuming your cog and ring line up perfectly, it's either your frame or your hub. What is the consensus about the Woodsmoke frame? What does Salsa say? Other riders?

After that, the hub is likely the source. Good hubs are not cheap and cheap hubs are often weak. You're putting a ton of force on that bike, so it wouldn't surprise me if the hub is slipping. The only way to fix that is to replace the hub.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
honestly; i'd say a larger front/rear ring/cog will give you more chain wrap and would definitely help... 36x21 is a little lighter than what you got now but it gets more teeth involved so there is less chance of slipping. who knew singlespeeding could be so expensive to try right??? ;)

honestly singlsepeeding does seem to work easier with a diamond frame; but i think if you keep messing with this bike you may get it to work. at 250; your experiencing more flexing than most.

if your hub was slipping you'd see it if you took off the freehub (the pawls would be trashed if it slipped). i don't think it was that. it wasn't in my case anyhow; but definitely check to see if the freehub slipped before buying a new hub...

if your hub ain't slippin a new ring/cog would be a cheaper experiment than a new rear wheel. my 2cents

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,276 Posts
If there isn't a ton of info on the Woodsmoke, I would urge you to go research the Stache and it's chain dropping issues, especially with heavier guys. Those elevated chainstays are not great for heavy guys running single speed, and that popping sound is likely your chain trying to come off the rear cog as the chainstays flex. I rode a Stache for a while when the elevated chainstay 29+ version first came out, and I had that same popping/dropping problem at 160lbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update 2:
Same location and hill for all test

1.-Yesterday try the bike with the new chain,cog and the most straight possible chain line, sit down all went good without any issue , stand up and can hear the snap on the rear end losing momentum.
2.-Replace the rear wheel (install a new carbon rim lace to hope Pro evo 4 50 ratchet borrow from a friend ) sit down all good, stand up, skip again.
so I reinstall the 1x11 drive train and try again, all went good sit or up in different cogs.
I really think the high chainstay plus my weight flex the rear end on the carbon frame enough to have that annoying noise and feel .
Salsa Wood smoke is been my ugly duck, awesome trail and bikepacking rig, but fail on the SS aspect.

Option:
Get a new frame and transfer all the components to keep trying the SS, so far Ill been looking for Salsa Timberjack, Santa Cruz Chameleon and Kona Honzo. or may be just may be convert my Yeti sb 4.5 fully to SS

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
update: i just put on a new chain and the popping is back; maybe worse than ever.... i fear i was dead wrong and the carbon stache will never be the singlespeed of my dreams.... still got a couple tricks to try but if i can't stop the slipping under load it may get gears soon and a new diamond frame may need to take it's place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Same here I just got tired to deal with this annoying problem and gear up this frame again (as my bikepacking bike) I went to LBS and they offer me the Trek Stache (lol), as good SS bikes easy to convert. The raise chainstay keep me out of that bike too,

I just got a new Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+ at good price, planning to convert to SS this weekend, not sure about keep the plus size tires 3.0 wtb Range on 40mm rim or just swap the wheels with my Woodsmoke and build the chameleon as 29er.
Will report later.
Life is too short to ride the wrong bike .
Plus I try my fully (yety sb4.5) over the weekend and just feels wrong, like too bouncy and never use my shifter. LOL, what u do to me SS.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.