Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wanted to try a skin suit for mountain bike racing. Anyone do this?

It looks like it would be even more comfortable then bib shorts because it is bibs with a jersey built in! The aero gains is probably not much so it does not have to be super tight. I would need a back pocket for at least a flask of gel. Anyone know any good designs? Perhaps a cool graphics but not a lot of sponsors or team stuff?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Skin Suits are the jam. WAY more comfy for racing than a jersey and bibs. For CX racing, it's the only thing I wear (long or short sleeve depending on temp).

It's a bit trickier for a XC race though. If you have support that can hand up bottles or food it helps.

Things to consider: store a tube, CO2, tire lever with electrical tape on your stem.

You can stick a few gel packets under your leg gripper on the shorts.

Some have small pockets in the back that you could put a gel flask in.

Be prepared for some weird looks :)

·
559 Posts
I wore my CX fleece lined SS at Sea Otter last year and it was fantastic. Tubes etc. taped to my seatpost, gel packs under my leg grippers and enough water in my bottles. I don't really carry anything in my pockets when I race anyhow so I'll probably be doing this again.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
taudep said:
Just make sure you don't look like you're wearing a sausage casing with the thing on...
He probably will.
If you don't have a fit cyclist body you're going to look like a tool in a skin suit. A skin suit is exactly that, it's skin tight! It uses thinner material and fits way tighter than a normal jersey.
If you have the body to pull it off go for it, if you're even a little bit fat step away from the Spidey outfit.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Skin suites are great for MTB, particularly if you get one with pockets in it.

But make sure you are skinny enough to where them, unlike bib-shorts they do not make you look thin.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Yikes. That guy has to be at least 25% body fat. I'm at 22% myself and not even fat at all (at least according to the scale i have). That being said, I know someone with that much weight and he can kick my ass.

Killroy said:
I would not don a skin suit >10% body fat like this guy.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
LMN said:
But make sure you are skinny enough to where them, unlike bib-shorts they do not make you look thin.
perhaps i'll dig up some photos from last summers road time trial i attended...

if your gut is resting on the top tube of your $9000 cervelo P4 trust me that skinsuit isn't gonna help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is always MUCH BETTER for women to race in skinsuits. They go WAY FASTER and ARE MUCH SAFER with skinsuits, and look EVEN MORE LOVELY.

For male MTB pros it's OK. For the rest, expect some healthy razzing. :>)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Champion systems makes a good summer skinsuit. My team ordered some of these last year. They do have a pocket in back for carrying gels, tube, etc (but I second the taping a tube to the stem concept as I do that myself). These are short sleeve and made of a thin materiel so one is not overheated.

I did not get one for myself . . . .

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Skin suits are like wearing pink.

You can only wear them if you are
a) A girl
b) Fast

That being said on occasion we do have a Skin Suit Saturday ride. But for those you have wear the ugliest skin suits you can find. It is sort of like Wife beater Wednesdays.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts