Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the DH foruma as well:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A buddy of mine rides all mtn with me and has a BMX and DH background.
When we come into a fast tight corner, I'm behind him and instead of him braking a lot,
he somehow gets the rear wheel to kick out or slide out, therefore putting his front wheel and bike into perfect position to handle the corner without losing much speed.

He kind of explained how to do this and what he said was that it's not so much of creating a skid by tapping the rear brake, but more of weighting the front wheel and pushing out with the hips/legs?

Can anyone please elaborate on this so I can understand and visualize it? I would like to practice and learn this move.
Next time we ride I'm going to have him give me a lesson on this too and sit at the corner and watch me. This is a great move

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
I posted this in the DH foruma as well:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A buddy of mine rides all mtn with me and has a BMX and DH background.
When we come into a fast tight corner, I'm behind him and instead of him braking a lot,
he somehow gets the rear wheel to kick out or slide out, therefore putting his front wheel and bike into perfect position to handle the corner without losing much speed.

He kind of explained how to do this and what he said was that it's not so much of creating a skid by tapping the rear brake, but more of weighting the front wheel and pushing out with the hips/legs?

Can anyone please elaborate on this so I can understand and visualize it? I would like to practice and learn this move.
Next time we ride I'm going to have him give me a lesson on this too and sit at the corner and watch me. This is a great move
I've got a buddy that does that all the time (without skidding) and he just slightly preloads the back and pops it up and moves it over while keeping weight on the front of the bike. It's kind of like doing a "kick out" on a bmx bike.

I've ridden with another guy that can ride nose wheelies into corners and moves his rear to the outside as he's coming into the corner. That gets ultra style points and shows true bike handling skills! Personally, I think if your buddy has to lock up the rear of the bike to position it sideways into a turn, he's tearing up the trail even if he unweights the back to minimize the impact. Not a good skill to pick up, imo. If I saw someone doing that on one of my trails, I'd smack 'em upside the head.

My two pesos.
EBX

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep

ebxtreme said:
I've got a buddy that does that all the time (without skidding) and he just slightly preloads the back and pops it up and moves it over while keeping weight on the front of the bike. It's kind of like doing a "kick out" on a bmx bike. EBX
That's the stuff!

·
Lungs, Legs, Luck
199 Posts
I believe this technique is called "trail braking." You can actually practice it at lower speeds on a flat surface, gradually picking up the pace. While I'm no expert at it, I have been doing it more and more, but I don't really know how much faster it makes me. It's pretty fun, though!

. . . I guess I should throw in the disclaimer that such a practice is pretty hard on trails, and I reckon you need to try to use a little discretion when trying it . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.