Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Have you tried searching for clubs in your area. Try online and don't forget a lot of people in the cycling world are not online kinds of folk. So if you don't see anything local in a google search or checking around here and with the state and national organizations, try stopping in at the local bike shops, there will be fliers.

Have fun.
Ron

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Gene Hamilton at BetterRide.net

Ricardo41 said:
Was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for bike skills clinics in the summer in Colorado. Reviews anywhere? Couldn't find any on mtbr.com

ricardo
I'm a BIG fan of Gene's. I coordinated a 3-day mtb clinic in Nashville, TN and the guy is great. Former pro downhiller and snowboarder, a hella good rider with the heart of a teacher. Check out his site and search this board for my earlier review (it'll probably show up in the auto search down at the bottom).

My riding is 200% improved after my clinic and I'll probably be a once-a-year clinic/lesson client for life from the guy.

It's my opinion and it's how I spent my money.

Plus, he's in Fruita.

best,

-capt pearl

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt. Pearl:

I did read your review, but I also noted that his clinics seem to be self-organized, i.e., you need to bring 5 people with you in order for him to hold the clinic (or did I misunderstand something?)

ricardo

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
depends

Ricardo41 said:
Capt. Pearl:

I did read your review, but I also noted that his clinics seem to be self-organized, i.e., you need to bring 5 people with you in order for him to hold the clinic (or did I misunderstand something?)

ricardo
Gene/BetterRide.net puts on "formal" mtb clinics for both XC and downhill in Fruita, CO. Sometimes he recruits no-name friends like some chick named Marla to help.

He'll do a clinic most anywhere else (ie, in your town) if he can make it work. He needs 5 folks to cover his costs, no more than 7 or he feels the quality suffers. He's got some promo material and can help you advertise if you need it. I was able to do it all via emails on mtbr.com and two folks who saw the Nashville clinic listed on www.active.com. All you really do to "coordinate" is help him find a trail, a parking lot, and a backup covered area in case of rain (we used a large ground level dock beside a vacant building in a strip mall). It wasn't especially a lot of work on my end to "organize".

The format is the same as his "home" clinic's in Fruita. He does all the lesson orginization, etc. He's a great guy to work with, endlessly patient, and a really effective teacher. It's almost 6 months later and I can still hear his voice when I'm working on stuff.

Drop him a line. I'm not part of BetterRide and don't want to give any false impressions. But having taken his clinic, I'm hella better and will probably take a clinic/lesson every year from him.

Good luck,

-capt pearl

·
Shaman
636 Posts
Thank Capt., sorry to hear my voice is still in your head!

I hope my reply isn't considered spam but since you asked I do have quite a few camps coming up in Colorado. Here are a few dates and little on my coaching philosophy.

May 13-15 Lakewood, CO BetterRide Mountain Bike Skills Camp Three day skills camp focusing on general riding skills, climbing and descending skills, energy management and FUN, guaranteed to improve your riding.

May 27-29 Fruita, CO BetterRide Mountain Bike Skills Camp Three day skills camp focusing on general riding skills, climbing and descending skills, energy management and FUN, guaranteed to improve your riding.

June 10-12 Fruita, CO BetterRide Women's Mountain Bike Camp Three day skills camp for women, share a great learning and riding experience with other woman riders.

More camps in the high country in the summer.

I start with the basic, fundamental skills of mountain biking and really
get the rider to master these techniques with drills and then on trail riding.

As a snowboard coach I learned that to win at the world cup level and for
even a recreational rider to improve the rider must master the fundamentals
of the sport to continue to improve.

What this means is, athletic ability can only take an athlete so far and
if an athlete doesn't have the basics wired they will stop progressing well
before they reach their potential. In ski and snowboard racing the competencies
are so important that the US SKI and Snowboard development team chooses
their athletes purely on their mastery of the competencies, not their racing
results. I know many athletes who can ski, snowboard and/or mountain bike
and get down the mountain quickly but, they have bad habits and are surviving
on athletic ability and daring.

Dan Milkman (World Champion Gymnast, coach and author of "The Inner athlete",
"Body Mind Mastery" and The "Peaceful Warrior Series") states, "Athletes'
problems with learning or improving their skills are tied to weak fundamentals.
To raise athletes' potential you need to rebuild their foundation for success".
With this in mind I work on what I consider to be the key competencies (fundamentals)
of mountain bike riding. These are the core skills that many riders from beginners to
quite a few xc pros have not mastered (which is why you often see them walking tough climbs and descents).

Thank you,

Gene

·
Registered
8 Posts
Skills Clinics

Not sure if I should start a new thread on this or not, but does anyone know of any good skills clinics in northern california? I'm a high school racer and most recently got 8th overall in the norcal high school series, but I'm looking to improve my skills as I'll be moving on from high school next year.

Thanks
Jamie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.