Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is...

XC MTB more popular (mediawise & users) vs. DH?
DH skiing more popular (mediawise & users) vs. XC?

Things that make you go hmmm???:D

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
I don't really think XC MTB is more popular mediawise than DH. DH is the "extreme" that everyone thinks of when they hear about mountain biking... in tv commercials and stuff featuring mountain biking, they're always going downhill.

How bored were you to create this thread? :)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,626 Posts
It's simple, ski resorts have lifts.

You have to be able to get up the hill somehow when you go DH mountain biking, and the amount of ski resorts that pander to this are just a drop in the bucket compared to winter skiing.

Also, a starter XC mountain bike that you can actually take out on trails starts between $350 and 450 bucks.

A DH bike that is going to be able to handle that kind of riding will start at a few thousand dollars.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Jayem said:
It's simple, ski resorts have lifts.

You have to be able to get up the hill somehow when you go DH mountain biking, and the amount of ski resorts that pander to this are just a drop in the bucket compared to winter skiing.

Also, a starter XC mountain bike that you can actually take out on trails starts between $350 and 450 bucks.

A DH bike that is going to be able to handle that kind of riding will start at a few thousand dollars.
Bingo. You can get a set of cheap downhill (or XC) ski equipment, or an XC bike for a few bills, but a DH capable bike will set you back a couple of thousands of dollars. And there are WAY more opportunites for DH skiing than there are for DH MTB. I ski DH in the winter, and ride XC in the summer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't agree that XC MTB is more popular than DH, and have you watched XC skiing? It's like watching paint dry.

Most ski areas are opening the lifts to bicycles in the summer and are reaping the rewards. There're lots of great places to toss a bike on a chairlift and rip DH all day.

As for media coverage I think DH gets more play and if you include resort Network channels on cable and other fringe stations as well as independently produced videos and DVDs I'd say DH was way outpacing Xc in terms of reaching the masses.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
X-Vert said:
Why is...

XC MTB more popular (mediawise & users) vs. DH?
DH skiing more popular (mediawise & users) vs. XC?

Things that make you go hmmm???:D
Well, watching XC-skiing is....BORING, unless it's close at the end. Then it's exciting in a "horse race" kind of way.
Watching DH skiing is....EXCITING. You know the spills and thrills of going 80mph on skiis.
The average Joe can live vicariously through DH skiing, but not XC skiing.

I have no idea about your biking statement.
Riding both is exciting.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Judd97 said:
How bored were you to create this thread? :)
How bored am I that I'm actually sitting here reading this threa? VERY!

My $.02- I never once thought XC mtb was more popular for the media than DH. Among users, anyone kan ride XC, as long as you can turn the cranks you can find a trail tame enough for the most skittish rider. DH takes stones (and the previously mentioned $$, and not just the bike, the protetive gear is way more $$ than XC gear).

BM

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know about that....seems like most of the bike pron movies are guys on big hit bikes with giant swinging cajones. Every Kranked movie, for example.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.