Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aim has always been to get smoother as a rider, not just faster. Skidding seems sloppy to me. Every skid is an error. I see lots of fast guys skidding all over the trails like there's no tomorrow (and no limit to their tire budget or their volunteer trail work hours). Some of them are good riders- it almost seems like they skid intentionally.

Skidding: Skill or Mistake?

Tawk amongst yahselves.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,958 Posts
It's almost never the fastest way around a turn, and I'd like to say that I never do it, but it does happen occasionally. I definitey try not to skid, and I think it's very rare for me.

I think it's partially skill, but (and I know people don't want to hear this) the people on V and mechanical brakes seem to do it more, at least that just seems to be what I notice.

·
And I don't mean the band
203 Posts
Jayem said:
I think it's partially skill, but (and I know people don't want to hear this) the people on V and mechanical brakes seem to do it more, at least that just seems to be what I notice.
I agree with this one, I notice on my SS I (accidentally) skid around turns sometimes, I have SD7's on there, they lock up pretty quickly. With the juicy 5's on the FS I never skid. It might also have something to do with tires and tire pressure?

On the SS I run higher pressure (35-40psi) with some old hutchinson rubbers I had laying around the garage (this bike is scrambled together). On the FS I have Nevegal front and Ignitor back, running 25-30 psi.....

Personally I am against skidding on the trails, it destroys the trails and creates nasty ruts, even though those can be fun and challenging sometimes.... And last but not least, I can't stand it when the person in front of me is skidding, and throwing up a huge dust cloud (I wear contacts.....:rolleyes: )

·
I'm with stupid -------->
390 Posts
Jayem said:
but (and I know people don't want to hear this) the people on V and mechanical brakes seem to do it more, at least that just seems to be what I notice.
Humm... I run V in the back and mechanical up front and rarely skid. Never had a problem with controlling the amount of power of either the front or rear break (I feel they have fine granularity).... maybe I am just lucky.

·
Registered
540 Posts
IMHO, if you are skidding, you are basically out of control. However, I will admit that it is a useful skill to have if and when it becomes necessary due to conditions or rider error.

Now, some riders know their equipment and the trail conditions well enough that they can skid in what appears to be a controlled fashion, but this damages the aforementioned equipment and trails.

Ostensibly, this is so the rider can go really fast, and gain the impression that they are going even faster by 'drifting'. This is faux-racer mentality at its worst. Just take all the friction losses from skidding those tires and subtract it from your forward momentum. Enough said.

I say error if it is unintentional, lesser error if used purposefully to avoid a really nasty crash.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Skid Happens. Like a duff or skull of a golf shot, a double fault on a tennis serve, a missed free throw, or dropped pass - these are events that unfortunately are bound to happen in sports. Do we all wish we could eliminate them, yes, but occasionally you will skid. I personally only cringe when it happens on a sweet but fragile piece of trail like the BCT, but otherwise I do not even notice. In certain circumstances, whether it is terrain, speed, tire pressure, etc a skid will occur. In most cases, I notice I skid to re-adjust to the proper/intended line on a downhill approach.
As far as riding pet peeves, this does not make it to my list.
Good discussion though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Can easily be skill or out of control rider. Depends. When you get on the front it unweights the rear and you can swing it around for a tighter squarer corner. Probably more usefull in street bike racing, but there are times it works on teh trails.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument....but in a non-race situation, there is no excuse for intentionally skidding due to trail damage issues. IMO, it's my goal to get through several sections of my daily ride without accidentally skidding. Sure....skidding happens and that's no reason to get bent....but I see folks skidding through every turn some days and it makes me want to slash their tires.......ok....that was a bit over the top agro, but to me; it's an issue of skill and consideration for others.

·
Registered
540 Posts
MattyBoyR6 said:
Can easily be skill or out of control rider. Depends. When you get on the front it unweights the rear and you can swing it around for a tighter squarer corner. Probably more usefull in street bike racing, but there are times it works on teh trails.
If you are going to unweight the rear anyways, why drag it? Just lift it up and swing it around.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,958 Posts
yetisurly said:
yeah, and people who drive Subaru cars speed more.
Turbo subarus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One should always try not to skid. And if someone does skid unintentionally because he was coming down a downhill section fast, came into a clearing and saw a someone coming uphill and made a skid to stop as to let the uphill rider go by, one shouldn't be burned at the stake for it :) (not that this ever happened). I think that sliding into every corner and squaring corners with skidding is stupid and causes trail erosion, however, a quick skid going straight is nowhere near as damaging as skidding sideways into corners. As for skidding a skill? I don't think so... if grabbing a handful of rear brake is skill, i must be sam hill. Try not to skid, skidding does happen sometimes, everyone chill, have fun, and be nice!

·
Bikes, Beer, and Sex
221 Posts
MattyBoyR6 said:
I disagree with that. In road racing you never want to unweight the rear in a corner, thats grounds for a nasty high side and probably a broken collar bone too. slide in with brakes and slide out with throttle

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
Skidding in a straight line creates braking bumps. Skidding in a corner will create a rut. Drifting is a gift from heaven; a 2 wheel drift is one of the coolest feelings on Earth. I don't think that a proper 2 wheel drift causes much trail damage since the rider is essentially skipping sideways while maintaining forward momentum. Dragging the brakes to do a rearwheel drift is fun, but not pretty because it does cause damage.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
If executed properly, drifting (as exhibited by the rider in the video) will create a nice berm. Skidding to a stop for the sake of skidding/stopping really is a pet peeve of mine too, but we have all done it so I almost always try to have a little patience.

·
Registered
75 Posts
we need to have a skid trail, or track so everyone can skid and slide and drift straight and sideways and no one cares. wait a minute... we do! its called pima and dynamite.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are sections of the 32nd St trail on SoMo that are only rideable by utililizing controlled skidding IMO. Not that I'm trying to erode the trail, it's just that loose and steep towards the bottom.

·
Professional Bad Ass
501 Posts
I don't think I ever skid because of braking unless the word 'HORSE!' is involved, but I do end up sliding through turns because the trail surface is loose. Does that count as skidding? I don't see how you could avoid that without going very slow on many of the gravely trails (such as Starr Pass/TMP area) here in AZ.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
I think there's 2 kinds of skidding, on purpose and accidental. Last week on a ride near Sedona the trail went steep and loose but there were some bowling ball size rocks to get around. Things got squirrelly and I had to let off the front brake and drag the back a bit to keep from gaining too much speed. Hated to do it but not much choice at that point. I've also been seeing a lot of skids where the rider cooked into the turn too fast and locked up the rear and just skidded off the outside of the trail. Poor skills.

And an observation that will probably cause a sh!tstorm is this: I've noticed that some of the more gravity oriented guys I've followed seem to use skidding to turn as a normal technique where l can just brake and ride the turn right behind him.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts