Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today I was coming down National just above the Mormon/National upper split and this other dude was riding just a bit faster than me and every corner was skidding the hell out of the trail. Then at the junction proceeded to roost a group of hikers. They were pissed and yelling at him and me. He kept bombing down the trail oblivious. I stopped and explained that I was not with him but that nearly every biker knows to slow down and not shred the trails to ****. They were nice and I told them if I could catch up I’d say something. I was able to catch up and let the rider know a bunch of hikers were pissed at his actions. Dude couldn't have cared less. Complained more that hikers sometimes get in the way or don’t pick up their dogshit. Point is there are a lot of noobs on the trails so if your group has a dickhead that feels it is necessary to blow out every corner please educate them to knock it off. I don’t want the novice riders to think it’s ok to mess up a trail and not take responsibility for doing it.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,481 Posts
Glad you caught him, glad you said something.
Dickhead should be glad, too. Glad it was you, not me.
If I’d been the one to catch him and he gave me attitude, I might be missing a tooth or have a broken nose right now.
Meanwhile he wouldn’t be able to walk and his jaw would have been over there.
Whew. I need to go for a ride.
=sParty

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Between my work and my home life I spend a fair amount of time keeping things from escalating. I wanted to pop him when he gave me tude but that solves nothing. And I’d feel like **** for losing it over dust. But yeah I hate having to say this kind of stuff to others on the trail. It’s a courtesy thing. If you’re going to skid like a tool do it when no one sees it. And not near a group that thinks we are all the same. Better yet don’t do it at all. It’s lame as hell and tears up the trail.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Glad you caught him, glad you said something.
Dickhead should be glad, too. Glad it was you, not me.
If I’d been the one to catch him and he gave me attitude, I might be missing a tooth or have a broken nose right now.
Meanwhile he wouldn’t be able to walk and his jaw would have been over there.
Whew. I need to go for a ride.
=sParty
Look out, we got a badass over here

·
Registered
746 Posts
That’s a huge pet peeve of mine. You can try to explain nicely but you can’t fix stupid. Hope he thinks about it tonight.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Climb the trail with 800mm bars and don't yield. When they clip you at mach 5 and tumble off the trail "OH, THAT SUCKS!".

·
change is good
3,117 Posts
I live in Sedona and although some hikers are prima Donna local 1%ers, trail etiquette is lacking from a minority of bikers, typically male tourists trying to burn miles. Unfortunately, self centered dicks are unlikely to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
passed out in your garden
2,752 Posts
l dont know, but my Insta feed is full of d!cks roosting corners, and just seeing that pisses me off

maybe that also has something to do with it.......

·
Banned
187 Posts
So today I was coming down National just above the Mormon/National upper split and this other dude was riding just a bit faster than me and every corner was skidding the hell out of the trail. Then at the junction proceeded to roost a group of hikers. They were pissed and yelling at him and me. He kept bombing down the trail oblivious. I stopped and explained that I was not with him but that nearly every biker knows to slow down and not shred the trails to ****. They were nice and I told them if I could catch up I’d say something. I was able to catch up and let the rider know a bunch of hikers were pissed at his actions. Dude could have cared less. Complained more that hikers sometimes get in the way or don’t pick up their dogshit. Point is there are a lot of noobs on the trails so if your group has a dickhead that feels it is necessary to blow out every corner please educate them to knock it off. I don’t want the novice riders to think it’s ok to mess up a trail and not take responsibility for doing it.
I wonder if dumb hikers get PSA messages on boards about their bad behavior..
Skidder dude does have a couple of valid points aside from skidding. I dealt with many bad dog walkers today.. had to dodge many off-leash dogs and scrape dog **** from my tire (again) with a stick so it didn't fling too bad on the DH. Saw lots of poop bags left on the trial as always.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,317 Posts
So, I guess because others behave badly we have a right to do so.

It's gotta suck riding in an urban environment.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,317 Posts
It is also bad form confronting random people you do not know. Hope you can defend yourself and are prepared for what might ensue.
Well, I'm gonna leave a big ol' turd on the trail somewhere today. Just because dogs in Phoenix do.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Straw man argument aside. He does not have a point with the dog poop point. His behavior was wrong for skidding. I was not asking him about the hikers. We’re they letting their dogs **** everywhere? Nope. Were they all over the trail not paying attention? Nope. Did they hurt him so his skid would be justified as a retaliation? Nope. He used the dog crap argument as a deflection. He is right. But his behavior was the problem and still is. Our behavior on the trail I have to say has gone to **** in the last few years. I have seen more secret trails starting, cut lines and asshats with speakers blaring than I ever thought I would. Some of us old schoolers have allowed this by not saying anything to the novice riders when they mess up.
When I confronted this guy I was not a dick about it. Just told him I’m not trying to be a dick but his skidding was pissing off a bunch of people and he should at least try not to dust out hikers. His response was that maybe I should hang back so I don’t see it too. Wtf. This is not a normal response. This is someone that was not educated early on that this **** is stupid.
People need to comment on the insta posts. Unfollow douchebags and hold each other accountable. Uncomfortable conversations need to happen or we will get kicked off trails. Guaranteed.
And “bad form?” Give me a break. If I was ignorant to the fact that I completely ruined someone’s trail experience like this guy did to these hikers, I would want to know about it so I could fix that. Personally I would march my ass over to the hikers and apologize for dusting them. But that’s me. At the least I hope he learns to be a better rider because everyone knows that only shitty riders skid around corners. Not light roosting. Effing full back brake lock skid.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,481 Posts
The scariest thing about idiocracy is less the number of the phenomenon's leaders and more the number of followers. These days whenever one idiot stands out, myriad idiots rush to his defense.

Thanks again for calling Bozo out, pwrtrainer.
=sParty

·
Registered
60 Posts
So who gets to decide what is “right “, that is a slippery slope and leads to mob rule. If he was breaking rules he should have been reported to the proper authority.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
So who gets to decide what is “right “, that is a slippery slope and leads to mob rule. If he was breaking rules he should have been reported to the proper authority.
Can you leave us your number then? I got something to report.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
462 Posts
it's kinda cool (IMHO) to watch people do those little drifts but it sure ain't good for the trails...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
it's kinda cool (IMHO) to watch people do those little drifts but it sure ain't good for the trails...
It's like modern movies. When you can't actually figure out an original storyline, blast the special effects ****.

Reactions: diamondback1x9
1 - 20 of 152 Posts