Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like everyone is all over the board with which light weight skewer is the best. Can anyone recomend a set of skewers lighter than my bontrager ones(115 g) to go on my superfly? Rider weight 205 rider height is 6'6" riding style is XC only.

·
Registered
321 Posts
mtnbkr33 said:
Seems like everyone is all over the board with which light weight skewer is the best. Can anyone recomend a set of skewers lighter than my bontrager ones(115 g) to go on my superfly? Rider weight 205 rider height is 6'6" riding style is XC only.
If you want light and strong, the bolt-on steel skewers are surprisingly light and as strong or stronger than normal quick releases. The next step lighter would be the titanium bolt-on skewers. Control Tech Race SL skewers are insanely light, and your size and weight, (taller than me but a little lighter) I'd say skip those. Search for the thread on them and you'll see pix I took of the set I have on my wife's bike.

If you want quick release skewers, that I'm not as sure about. Figure most folks will say KCNC or something like that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Control Tech

I have broken Control Tech Race SL skewers and cannot recommend them. But I love the Control Tech Race skewers, and cannot tell a difference in stiffness between them and the "budget" light steel bolt ons thta people use. The Control Tech Race is ti, but the ti rod is large diameter, and the nuts at the ends are also large diameter with great contact area with the axle ends, and deeper thread depth. The Control Tech Race is my choice for all my bikes.

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
Halo bolt-ons are about 68-70g for the pair. They come in a couple of bolt lengths that fit about any frame setup. Colors are white, black, or gold. I used a black one for the rear to match the frame dropouts and a white one up front to match the fork dropouts, and used the XL length for both as well. About 5mm of bolt sticks through the nuts. Cromoly bolts so they're plenty strong plus they have a small tab on the nut to keep it from rotating. Uses a metric allen to tighten. Around $15 or a little less most places.

·
Registered
916 Posts
IAmtnbikr said:
Halo bolt-ons are about 68-70g for the pair. They come in a couple of bolt lengths that fit about any frame setup. Colors are white, black, or gold. I used a black one for the rear to match the frame dropouts and a white one up front to match the fork dropouts, and used the XL length for both as well. About 5mm of bolt sticks through the nuts. Cromoly bolts so they're plenty strong plus they have a small tab on the nut to keep it from rotating. Uses a metric allen to tighten. Around $15 or a little less most places.

+ 1

Don't buy the cheap nashbar or noname brand bolt on. Buy halo XL for a MTB.

The cheap nashbar and noname bolt-on have shorter axle that fits MTB, but only half of the nut is engaged. They do work very well for a roadbike. I ran the cheap model on my MTB for a season, they didn't break. But i feel safer with 5-6mm more thread engaged.

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
Megaclocker said:
+ 1

Don't buy the cheap nashbar or noname brand bolt on. Buy halo XL for a MTB.

The cheap nashbar and noname bolt-on have shorter axle that fits MTB, but only half of the nut is engaged. They do work very well for a roadbike. I ran the cheap model on my MTB for a season, they didn't break. But i feel safer with 5-6mm more thread engaged.
Yep. My road bike has a front standard-length Halo black skewer and the back of the bike has a white one, lol. ;) I'm just going to scuff and spray-bomb the white rear nut and bolt head cups black to match since it rarely is used anyhow, unless someone wants to trade me a black bolt cup/nut for a white set. They just use a long metric allen bolt which slides out so you can mix and match them with ease. On the road bike the standard-length ones have about 2mm of exposed threads in front and 5mm in back.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I like the Control Tech bolt on (not the race version, but the stouter shaft). I use them on my race bike and they provide a very strong and stiff interface. With the safety tabs on forks, wheel and flat changes are almost as fast, and you're bound to be carrying a 5mm wrench anyway, right?

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
If we are talking about skewers, not bolt ons, probably the best bang for your buck are KCNC at 44-grams for the MTB version. You can also go lighter (but more expensive) with Parts of Passion Skewers at 36-38 grams. If you don't mind carrying tools then the bolt-ons are hard to beat...and if you go exotic with Bolt-ons you can get Tune's MTB version at 23-24 grams.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Hardtailforever said:
I like the Control Tech bolt on (not the race version, but the stouter shaft). I use them on my race bike and they provide a very strong and stiff interface. With the safety tabs on forks, wheel and flat changes are almost as fast, and you're bound to be carrying a 5mm wrench anyway, right?
+1 on Control tech regular, and +2 on Halo.

First option for the weenie project, second for everything else that still uses QR.

Everything else is either for the brave of heart, or for those who do not care about extra 60g for more money and less safety.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
ncfisherman said:
No mention of the DT Swiss RWS skewers, though? IAmtnbikr, are you familiar with these at all? Maybe even the road titanium version?
The RWS skewers are great. There are lighter options, of course, but these clamp very firmly and are easy to use. They're basically a bolt on with a built in handle instead of having to use a separate hex key. I'll not be going back to quick releases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.