Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I persued the FAQ and have a question about quick release skewers. I've been browsing SS specific frames and wonder about the rear set-up. Are tugs generally required if running qr's? I imagine it makes it easier to obtain the right tension. So far, I've been fortunate to find 'the ratio' on my dropouts. My intent is to be able to change rings & cogs relevant to trail/urban situations.

I'm currently looking at a 1x1 as it's specs match all my current components. I also wonder how 'manageable' discs are on this frame.

Since I'm on a roll, what are your thoughts on running steel in the winter? I see a few miles of road getting to trail.. is salt really a killer?

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
In the minority

I have a 1x1 and use old school steel quick release skewers. To make matters worse, I run disc brakes as well. I don't use chain tugs.

When I built the bike up, I fully expected the wheel to slip. I read about horror stories with slipping wheels due to extended climbs or torque from disc brakes. I was sure I would need to buy chain tugs.

I've been riding for a couple of months with no problems at all (knocks on wood). Lots of climbing, high-torque situations and no slippage.

If you use old school steel QR's, you might be ok. Those things provide a lot of clamping force if you crank them down.

I have three bikes (geared hardtail, cx, and singlespeed). All are steel. I've treated them with rustproofing prior to building them and wipe them down after wet rides. Other than that, I beat the piss out of them. No rust or problems yet. I don't really mind, though. They're made for riding. If you don't own your stuff, it ends up owning you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.