Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does Skeggs have to offer? A couple of my friends just think its mostly cross country, are there some technical trails? Mabe even a DJ or 2? I live down in the F0G Town so its the closest trails to where I live, Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
No DJs, some reasonably good singletrack, some might call it technical. If getting air is your aim, there's some steep fireroads that have nice bumps, however. You're closer to Pacifica than Skeggs, and there are stunts in the lower forest above Higgins Rd...used to be some nice jumps over near Montara, but think they've been erased.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Skeggs is xc riding with good singletrack. There are a few places to catch air on the fireroads, but it's not really worth the climb out and the risk of getting a ticket (15 mph is enforced w/ radar). If you're looking for a place to ride your DH bike, ride the crack, boyscout, mile in Pacifica. If you're looking for a place to go DJ, check out carlmont. Those are both as close, or closer, than skeggs.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
If you want jumps, you should check out DMC in Belmont (behind Carlmont High School). Somewhat of a description at http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/pages/ride-crazyadvanced

Too bad you are on the foggy side of the hill - be a pain to get there now with the extra traffic on 92. Once that clears up, it is relatively easy as it would be about 10 minutes from the first exit off 92 after you pass 280.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Skeggs is fun singletrack

Its "XC" if I ride it on my hardtail/rigid bikes! Its "All Mountain" when I'm on my Nomad. ;)

I ride it at least once a week and I still look forward to it each time. :thumbsup:

Fun sections include Steam Donkey, Blue Blossom, Manzanita, Resolution, Crossover(& cut) among others. Part of the fun is making up new loops each ride. If you are looking for DJ/FR etc I'd say its not going to totally satisfy...

·
Less yappin, more Brappin
789 Posts
No DH, its an XC lovers dream.

f0ggy said:
What does Skeggs have to offer? A couple of my friends just think its mostly cross country, are there some technical trails? Mabe even a DJ or 2? I live down in the F0G Town so its the closest trails to where I live, Thanks
I think its really funny when people show up to Skeggs on full DH bikes, theres nothing to ride thats pure DH without a really long uphill back up. It can be somewhat technical singletrack, but nothing you cant do on a hardtail or a cyclocross bike. If you are riding ILLEGAL DH trails, well then you run the risk of getting caught, fined and closing the whole trail system for those of us that use it regularly. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
There are plenty of hikers up there just waiting for an excuse to close off all the trails to bikes. Just 6-7 years ago they closed half of the much more aggressive DH trails due to environmental cleansing. Those were some steep, scary, technical trails where you could really hurt yourself. Now they are all fenced off, covered in blowdown, or totally overgrown.

Go to Carlmont, Montara, Dropzone, or Shells for DH and DJ.

No offense to you buddy, I go out to those spots when I want to get my freak on. But chances are that you will either get a speeding ticket, hit one of the many affluent and politically involved hikers, or just look silly asking for the DH trails at Skeggs.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I was just there this morning - man I can't get enough of that place!! So damn fun!!! :thumbsup:

Like geoffss pointed out, there isn’t anything there that warrants a full DH bike. if you want to do DH runs hit the places he pointed out..I usually spend my summers at N*, but since it’s closed this year I’m trying to hit as much singletrack as possible.

Yeah you can ride all of it on a rigid like El C. pointed out but I personally prefer riding a fully – to me that’s more FUN. If riding a fully rigid SS if your idea of fun – mo power to you! :)

Bikes are the coolest thing on earth...time for beers now! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.