Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These kids have done Gap and Fremont Older. Last week they did White Oak, Canyon trail.

I was a bit tentative about taking them to Skeggs because there is exposure and there is a bit of climbing. I planned on:

Skeggs lot, Sierra Morena, Blue Blossom descent, climb up Gordon Mill and back Sierra Morena.

At the last moment, I changed my mind to:

CMO2, up Sierra Morena to Resolution, up El Corte, back down Sierra Morena to CM02.

It went really well with a descent back tot the car the kids added more Sierra Morena out and back to Gordon Mill. The climb up El Corte was pretty rough.

This route was really good. They got to see the big Methuselah tree too. I'm getting to know these kids really well as their personalites come out in the forest. I ask them how they feel and what they think of each trail. They get a huge meal after the ride and they get to hang out and play Xbox 360 after each ride. I make these videos too and all their friends see it. Now all they talk about is the next ride.

fc

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Pretty cool they get to ride these places with you. I say take them down resolution to show them the plane pieces. It is a neat history lesson and they can see parts of the plane right off the trail. Makes it much more interesting to me anyway. I made the mistake of telling my daughter about it and the first questions she asked was, "Is the plane red from the blood?" Took some explaining but she wants to hike there to check it out. Can't wait till she wants to ride. Looks like all the boys had fun, you included.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty cool they get to ride these places with you. I say take them down resolution to show them the plane pieces. It is a neat history lesson and they can see parts of the plane right off the trail. Makes it much more interesting to me anyway. I made the mistake of telling my daughter about it and the first questions she asked was, "Is the plane red from the blood?" Took some explaining but she wants to hike there to check it out. Can't wait till she wants to ride. Looks like all the boys had fun, you included.
Yes, we went down Reso and I showed them the plane!!

Neither of them cleared the root though. Off day...

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
35,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the methusaleh tree is so cool. and isn't it cool to see people get into'd to the sport.
They are gettin into it! I had my own A+ ride yesterday but I'm more pumped about this kid's ride. I know their mtb stoke is growing. Getting a kid to climb 1000 feet (a requirement around these parts) ain't easy. And I'm getting a free ride with awesome trails and peer pressure.

Because Midnight Oil asks:
"How can we ride when our legs our burning?"

Here's a blooper interview:

And here's the newest member of our team. He is a neighborhood kid and he IS so pumped on riding. He borrowed a bike for 4 months and now he spent all his money and then some to buy this Iron Horse. It is wayy big for him so we are going to spend some time fitting it. I also have new glasses and helmet for him.

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Pieces of the plane. If your going down Resolution (the name of the plane that crashed in the 50's at that spot) you'll see some wreckage on the left side of the trail. Hard for me to tell you where exactly but you can see it from your bike on the trail. Distinctive green color with the rivets and all. Neat part of history you can see for yourself. Check it out online.

Paul

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I looked for pieces of the wing but was unable to find them. I did some checking on Strava on my ride and i think it is about .5 miles down the trail where the pieces are. I based this on my speed went to zero because we stopped to show others the pieces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.