Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Skeggs Everything - Oct 29

28K views 219 replies 46 participants last post by  shredchic 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone interested in attempting the Skeggs Everything ride?

[update: details posted below - http://forums.mtbr.com/8573370-post18.html]]

Biking Brazilian came up with the route in 2007 and a couple of us (me and the dearly missed mudworm) managed to complete it last year.

It's about a 42 mile ride, 10,000' of climbing. Last year, it took about 7 hours all up.

The biggest challenge is navigation: miss a turn and you likely won't achieve the "everything" goal. And you have to really want the goal, as you'll do some things you'd never otherwise consider, like climbing to the top of a fireroad just to turnaround and descend it again.

I'd like to give it a go again on Oct 29, starting 9am at gate CM-08.

#4 ·
I strongly recommend this ride:

- the route is a work of pure topological beauty and elegance
- upon completion, you'll know everything you need to know about Skeggs, which trails, gates, parking lots, trees etc to prefer
- in the unlikely case you're not up for the entire 40+ miles, you can at any point on the route bail out or take shortcuts, and keep encouraging/taunting/heckling ratpick while easily cruising around

As for me, I'd be in but my manager says I shouldn't do strenuous exercise, to let my bruised ribs heal up properly... (and I was originally thinking of doing an attempt to clean Bear Mtn)

#5 · (Edited)
i just wanted to chime in and say

that, track log. could, be...the most beautiful thing, I've ever seen in my life. :eekster:
I'm not worthy this year but will but now consider doing this ride a future goal.
i'm going to print this out and paste it to my bathroom floor so i can study it more.
is that down the last leg of Fir down or up?
please say down?

#10 ·
This is awesome !!!! I'll need couple of weeks of preparation to achieve this :skep:.

Aside from the navigation challenge, how do you manage food and water (stash them someplace or lug it) :confused:
You have two weeks then :)

There are some logistics with this ride since you need a water refill at some point. The original plan said to stash water and some food at the next "gate" down from CM-08, just off South Leaf Trail. It's a spot you hit about 16 miles into the ride, so not quite half-way, but after the toughest climbs. I did this the first time and it worked really well. Being just before half-way, my experience suggests to consume water freely for the first half and conserve after lunch. If it was going to be really hot, I might even stash some water up the top somewhere.

If I get some definite signups, I'll make sure there's enough water, but you'll probably want to stash some food unless you'd prefer to carry it all day.

Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
is that down the last leg of Fir down or up?
please say down?
We are on Fir twice - the first, right at the beginning of the ride, is lower Fir, the really, really steep part which we both climb and descend. It works well because 1. you get it overwith when you're fresh and 2. you can drop everything you don't need at the bottom of Fir and climb light, then pick it up on the return.

The second time, we do upper Fir descending down to Resolution.

If you've never attempted to climb lower Fir, you're in for a real treat :eek:

#19 ·
You have two weeks then :)

There are some logistics with this ride since you need a water refill at some point. The original plan said to stash water and some food at the next "gate" down from CM-08, just off South Leaf Trail. It's a spot you hit about 16 miles into the ride, so not quite half-way, but after the toughest climbs. I did this the first time and it worked really well. Being just before half-way, my experience suggests to consume water freely for the first half and conserve after lunch. If it was going to be really hot, I might even stash some water up the top somewhere.

If I get some definite signups, I'll make sure there's enough water, but you'll probably want to stash some food unless you'd prefer to carry it all day.

We are on Fir twice - the first, right at the beginning of the ride, is lower Fir, the really, really steep part which we both climb and descend. It works well because 1. you get it overwith when you're fresh and 2. you can drop everything you don't need at the bottom of Fir and climb light, then pick it up on the return.

The second time, we do upper Fir descending down to Resolution.

If you've never attempted to climb lower Fir, you're in for a real treat :eek:
We attempted a 30 miler @ Skeggs today but fell short (bad food and water management). Didnt realize the climb from Virginia Mill to Gordon Mill (west side) was a biatch with my gearing. I can imagine what lower fir would be like :eekster:.

Will definitely need more ride time @ Skeggs to get into this caliber .

#11 ·
Anyone interested in attempting the Skeggs Everything ride?

Biking Brazilian came up with the route in 2007 and a couple of us (me and the dearly missed mudworm) managed to complete it last year.
Actually, I merely re-posted the ride originally designed by Biking Viking back in the day. I tried it three times, finished once. Be sure to get the Fir climb out of the way as soon as possible.

The Patrick you link to on Strava is not me. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Oh, this route climbs lower Fir? :p I'm out. lol!!!

Just kidding...

But seriously - there are halloween parties going on both before and after that ride that are over an hour away from Skeggs - probably a little too tight schedule for me - so definite out. :( Maybe some other day, with a more relaxed schedule.

#14 ·
You do need to keep a reasonable pace but it won't be a hammerfest.. it took 7 hours at a reasonably fast pace last time. If we get a good group, I'd expect that to stretch out to 8 or 9 just as group rides do (regroups, stopping to lie about jumps, mechanicals, etc).

I'm more interested in completing it again than trying to break last year's time, although mudworm did beat me for overall time last year and if I end up doing this solo, I'll be gunning to beat her 6:53 hours!

#20 ·
I am interested. I need to check a few things but I would like to attempt. I have done a ride on this length in demo 2 times before but about 3k less climbing I believe. I have a feeling it can be done with the right amount of food, pacing, and good company. Just like the SCMC, I felt terrific even at the end. I might cash in my good husband card to be able to go. I will let you know asap.

Paul

#26 ·
I would do it on Sunday, but can't make it on Saturday.

Altough my preferred route would be: do all the fun single track both up and down (and skip the many fire roads, except for the steep part Fir of course).

Something like:
Sierra Morena out and back for easy warm up, down Manzanita, Timberview, down Giant Salamander, up Fir, down Resolution, ECdM, South Leaf out and back, down North Leaf, Methusalah, up Giant Salamander, Timberview, Cross-cut, down Cross-over, up Gordon Mills, down Steam Donkey, up and down Blue Blossom, up Steam Donkey, down Gordon Mills, up Cross-over, up Manzanita, down Fir, down Methusalah, up North Leaf, up Resolution, and back to the car.

#30 ·
I love Skeggs having just been turned on to it this past year after riding for twenty some odd years in various areas. That said, I've ridden this area a few times and done 10 miles at a time with about 2500 foot gained (two ascents) each time I've been there and found that to be a full experience; water, fatigue and time (2hrs), in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.