Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
For those of us who just can't hack the whole thing (or who can't manage to get a whole day off), I just did a "Everything lite" or "Everything Singletrack" yesterday, hitting nearly every singletrack segment in Skeggs in the "preferred" direction - 28 miles, maybe 5-6K? Not going too fast, with a heavy bike, and including all stops, it took 5 hours. I started/finished at CM03 but I will describe it as if you started at Skeggs Point. This is a pretty fun route that misses only upper Steam Donkey (which you could add easily) and a few tiny tidbits of singletrack - probably gets 95% of singletrack in Skeggs, nearly all in the "right" direction. Some time-saving measures (like riding back Star Hill instead of reversing the Leaf trails) could easily be switched for even more singletrack miles:

Skeggs Pt - steep paved road to Fir for short bit - left on Sierra Morena all the way to CM04 - Skyline Road to Bear Gulch Road - Spring Board trail for short bit - left on connector to Lawrence Creek - right on Lawrence Creek for short bit - right on Blue Blossom - left down Spring Board - right up Gordon Mill to first right - lower Steam Donkey - up Gordon Mill to first left - Crossover - left on Crosscut - left down Timberview - right on Giant Salamander - right up Methuselah - right on Manzanita - left on Timberview - left on Methuselah - right on connector to Fir - left on Fir - angled right to lower Tafoni (as opposed to sharp right to upper/traversing Tafoni) - left on El Corte de Madera trail all the way past Resolution and up past the creek - left on North Leaf - left on Methuselah for short section - right on easy-to-miss South Leaf - South Leaf all the way to Virginia Mill (passing two small connector trails on right) - right on Virginia Mill for short section to road - right on Star Hill Road to CM08 - down Methuselah trail to creek and all the way up the big hill - left on connector to Fir - left on Fir - right on Resolution - right on El Corte de Madera trail all the way back to Skeggs Point.

Pretty fun in the maximize-singletrack-in-minimum-time mindset...

·
Registered
456 Posts
For those of us who just can't hack the whole thing (or who can't manage to get a whole day off), I just did a "Everything lite" or "Everything Singletrack" yesterday, hitting nearly every singletrack segment in Skeggs in the "preferred" direction - 28 miles, maybe 5-6K? Not going too fast, with a heavy bike, and including all stops, it took 5 hours. I started/finished at CM03 but I will describe it as if you started at Skeggs Point. This is a pretty fun route that misses only upper Steam Donkey (which you could add easily) and a few tiny tidbits of singletrack - probably gets 95% of singletrack in Skeggs, nearly all in the "right" direction. Some time-saving measures (like riding back Star Hill instead of reversing the Leaf trails) could easily be switched for even more singletrack miles:

Skeggs Pt - steep paved road to Fir for short bit - left on Sierra Morena all the way to CM04 - Skyline Road to Bear Gulch Road - Spring Board trail for short bit - left on connector to Lawrence Creek - right on Lawrence Creek for short bit - right on Blue Blossom - left down Spring Board - right up Gordon Mill to first right - lower Steam Donkey - up Gordon Mill to first left - Crossover - left on Crosscut - left down Timberview - right on Giant Salamander - right up Methuselah - right on Manzanita - left on Timberview - left on Methuselah - right on connector to Fir - left on Fir - angled right to lower Tafoni (as opposed to sharp right to upper/traversing Tafoni) - left on El Corte de Madera trail all the way past Resolution and up past the creek - left on North Leaf - left on Methuselah for short section - right on easy-to-miss South Leaf - South Leaf all the way to Virginia Mill (passing two small connector trails on right) - right on Virginia Mill for short section to road - right on Star Hill Road to CM08 - down Methuselah trail to creek and all the way up the big hill - left on connector to Fir - left on Fir - right on Resolution - right on El Corte de Madera trail all the way back to Skeggs Point.

Pretty fun in the maximize-singletrack-in-minimum-time mindset...
nice- Im gonna have to try that route :)

I did something similar- .

·
More pie please
2,008 Posts
My 2012 Solstice Ride

Thanks for the inspiration guys; yesterday I completed the Everything Skeggs route. A prediction of 70º temps and 8:33pm sunset so I decided to go for it. The night before I stayed up later than planned studying the route, making notes, and marking up a map so I ended up sleeping in a little in the morning. I didn't roll until 9:42am.

I rode very conservatively and the ride went well. I even worked in a stop for food and water at the car at the 17 mile mark. (Rather stashing food at point "OO", I rode Star Hill Road back to my car at CMØ8.) Saw TahoeBC on the trail and we rode down Blue Blossom together. Also saw Francis riding with the Roaring Mouse group. I Tell You What, about 5 - 6 o'clock, Skeggs gets real busy on a Wednesday evening. Also about that time I was becoming anxious about finishing before dark but I got back to CMØ8 right at sunset. Had a great view of it through the redwood trees….spectacular orange sky!

Here it is, the slowest time yet recorded for Everything Skeggs:

Total time = 10:50
Moving time = 8:22
Miles = 46.38

My compliments to Biking Viking for figuring out the route,
///Charlie

·
user
1,060 Posts
Here it is, the slowest time yet recorded for Everything Skeggs:

Total time = 10:50
Moving time = 8:22
Miles = 46.38

My compliments to Biking Viking for figuring out the route,
///Charlie
Wow! :eekster: Congrats... I've been thinking about this ride too. Probably not quite ready (mentally / physically), but I hope to try this route sometime soon.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Nicely done, Charlie! :thumbsup:

Ratpick or others on the 2011 ride, can you please post a complete list of handles (or names) who completed this route (only if he did all the little out and backs to the gate posts)? I'd like to add the information to the Skeggs Everything Hall of Fame .

Oh... I can see a new wave rushing to Skeggs in the next couple of weeks. :)

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Cool seeing you getting after it yesterday, congratulations! And yea when I got back to the parking lot after my 4 hour jaunt of "Everything worth doing at Skeggs" at 6:15 the place was as packed as I've ever seen it.

Looking at MTBguru I see you saw some other friends of ours, I was pretty sure I saw Chris N. bombing down Corte De Madera Creek trail as I was riding out, did not notice the faces of the 3 gents before her, guess I just recognize the Womez on the trail ;)

·
More pie please
2,008 Posts
Cool seeing you getting after it yesterday, congratulations! And yea when I got back to the parking lot after my 4 hour jaunt of "Everything worth doing at Skeggs" at 6:15 the place was as packed as I've ever seen it.
Hi TBC,

Nice to see you and ride for a bit. I found your note(s) on my car. :) Guess you got to the far end of South Leaf successfully.

I saw that the lot was packed. While riding I thought "How can a ride titled Everything Skeggs omit Skeggs Point?" so first time to CMØ1 I did an out & back to the picnic tables there.

///Charlie

81 - 100 of 220 Posts