Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to go to Skeggs Saturday morning (9AM), would like some advise on trails. Would like to ride mostly single track and try to avoid steep climbs (impossible at skeggs?). Any advise would be helpful since I have only spent about 1 hour there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The best single track trails are Manzanita, Resolution, Blue Blossom (down), North/South Leaf trails, Giant Salamander, & Sierra Morena (when dry). The trails are in good shape right now with just a few soft spots and puddles. Lawrence Creek is very sloppy right now - avoid if possible. "Steep" is all relative - just avoid going up lower Steam Donkey or lower Fir trail (below Resolution). Infinite number of routes posted on these forums.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
mb2boost said:
Looking to go to Skeggs Saturday morning (9AM), would like some advise on trails. Would like to ride mostly single track and try to avoid steep climbs (impossible at skeggs?). Any advise would be helpful since I have only spent about 1 hour there.
Yeah, it's basically impossible to avoid steep climbs at that place. Count on at least one granny-ring climb of 2 or 3 miles, more if you do it right. That said, I ride Skeggs on my SS and I don't find it all that bad...you just have to be mentally prepared. Bringing headphones helps a lot.

A good introductory ride at Skeggs would be to start at CMO1 (Skeggs Point proper) and take Sierra Morena trail to the southeast. Then from CMO2 take the Methuselah fireroad to Manzanita and down. At the bottom of Manzanita go right on the fireroad to Crosscut and Crossover, then Timberview back up to CM03. Then backtrack on Sierra Morena to the car. This loop hits some good singletrack and won't leave you feeling like you just climbed up from the depths of hell.

Alternatively, you can continue on Sierra Morena til it hits the road, then take the road for about a mile until you can pick up Blue Blossom at CM05. Or, you can take Fir Trail from CMO1 and drop in on Resolution. From the bottom of Resolution, take a right on ECDM Creek (easier, and will probably leave you fresh enough for another loop) or go left and descend to North Leaf, eventually climbing out on Methuselah (much harder).

My favorite route is to take Resolution to North Leaf, climb out Methuselah, then descend Manzanita and climb out on Timberview like I described above. That takes me a good 3 hours or so, and involves quite a bit of climbing, but it's worth it. Whichever route you choose, study the map well beforehand so you don't get turned around.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Actually, if you do what I do, start at gate CM08, then a good portion of the climbing gets dispensed with right off the bat.

I don't love steep climbs, especially at the end of a ride. Riding from CM08 has helped me to discover fun at Skeggs. Let me know if you want a route rec.

·
~~~
2,039 Posts
SVSocrates said:
Actually, if you do what I do, start at gate CM08, then a good portion of the climbing gets dispensed with right off the bat.

I don't love steep climbs, especially at the end of a ride. Riding from CM08 has helped me to discover fun at Skeggs. Let me know if you want a route rec.
Ditto. I've really enjoyed starting rides from CM08. This is the best way to always have South Leaf as an option.

One of my favorite rides includes doing North and South Leaf first, then climbing up via Resolution. You have many options to create fun single track loops from CM08.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SVSocrates said:

We were thinking of starting (Sunday) at CM08, what route do you recommend?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fat_weasel said:
Yeah, it's basically impossible to avoid steep climbs at that place. Count on at least one granny-ring climb of 2 or 3 miles, more if you do it right. That said, I ride Skeggs on my SS and I don't find it all that bad...you just have to be mentally prepared. Bringing headphones helps a lot.

A good introductory ride at Skeggs would be to start at CMO1 (Skeggs Point proper) and take Sierra Morena trail to the southeast. Then from CMO2 take the Methuselah fireroad to Manzanita and down. At the bottom of Manzanita go right on the fireroad to Crosscut and Crossover, then Timberview back up to CM03. Then backtrack on Sierra Morena to the car. This loop hits some good singletrack and won't leave you feeling like you just climbed up from the depths of hell.

Alternatively, you can continue on Sierra Morena til it hits the road, then take the road for about a mile until you can pick up Blue Blossom at CM05. Or, you can take Fir Trail from CMO1 and drop in on Resolution. From the bottom of Resolution, take a right on ECDM Creek (easier, and will probably leave you fresh enough for another loop) or go left and descend to North Leaf, eventually climbing out on Methuselah (much harder).

My favorite route is to take Resolution to North Leaf, climb out Methuselah, then descend Manzanita and climb out on Timberview like I described above. That takes me a good 3 hours or so, and involves quite a bit of climbing, but it's worth it. Whichever route you choose, study the map well beforehand so you don't get turned around.
Thanks for the detailed route advise, trying to decide to start at CMO1 or CM08.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
SVSocrates said:

Hey, that's not a bad idea. I've been riding skeggs for years and never bothered to drive over to that side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mb2boost said:
We were thinking of starting (Sunday) at CM08, what route do you recommend?
The route used by CM08 Saturday crew a few times. Something close to this would be good.

N. Leaf>Creek Trail>Resolution>Fir>Connect to Manzanita>Manzanita>Tiberview>Giant Salamander>Methuselah>N.Leaf.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oceandive said:
The route used by CM08 Saturday crew a few times. Something close to this would be good.

N. Leaf>Creek Trail>Resolution>Fir>Connect to Manzanita>Manzanita>Tiberview>Giant Salamander>Methuselah>N.Leaf.
Thanks for your recommendation. We took your suggestion and did this route, had a great time. I would say it is the nicest single track I have ever ridden. The ride did seem to have alot of tough climbing and rock gardens (for me).

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Keep doing it. You will get better. There are two obstacles on North Leaf that I can't clear (yet), but that's one of the reasons I keep going back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.