Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and switch to flats and I am looking for information on shoes. I have read the recommendations for getting 5tens and I can apreciate their "grippyness", but I may not be able to have more than 1 pair of shoes so I may need something more versatile. I dont want to ware my shoes out walking around or on my skateboard. So if I cant have both what do I need to look for? I have been looking at the tread pattern of various sneakers and it would seem I need a specific pattern and compound? I would also go for something with the same finish as my shimano Dh shoes(cleats fitted), as they clean and dry great.
Anything else I need to know?:skep:

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Recently went with the 5.10 Impact / DMR V12 pedal combo for the VP-Free.
Awesome setup!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wear vans, and love it. If you have the platforms with little screw in studs, they fit perfectly into the star like pattern on the bottom of Vans. What I wonder is, all the people that say 5.10s are better, have they tried Vans? I would just like to hear a comparison for both on the platform pedals with the studs (like V12s).

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wont be able to look at vans till end of the week when i get back to the Uk but do they all have the same tread pattern? do you find heavy padded skate shoes interfear with riding? is it better to go with a lighter padding?
How do shimano DH shoes work on flats? i have mine fitted with cleats and i have thrown away the removable strip so i cant try them but i find them comfortable and solid for riding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i wear vans and 510s with kona wah wah pedals. the vans wear out faster and the studs in the pedals rip up the waffle pattern. they grip great but once they start wearing down they are alot less grippy. also vans have MUCH thinner and softer soles than 510s so i feel more impact and i can feel my pedal under my feet more. sometimes my 510s are too grippy, like i cant possition my foot on a run in to a jump. i recommend 510s because they last longer, grip so well, and have nice thick soles. but vans will be fine but be prepared to go through the soles quick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have vans and 5.10s. The vans work pretty well for most riding and I still use/prefer them for street since they're cheap and I can't afford to tear up my 5.10's. For DH 5.10s, no questions asked. The vans are only slightly less grippy dry but get slicker when they're wet. I don't notice a difference with the 5.10s. Also, I had trouble with the pins on my pedals not lining up in the waffle of the vans in a foot position that was comfortable for me. Finally, being akin to bigfoot (tall, hairy, big feet) means that my entire foot doesn't fit onto the platform of the pedal. This has caused the soles on my vans to kind of cave in on the outside of my foot. So far the 5.10's have not done this though I have a lot more miles on the vans than the 5.10s. Finally, I've found the 5.10's harder to walk in than the vans. Niether shoe has that running shoe feel but if I spend too long (not riding) in the 5.10s my feet start to ache.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I picked up some Globe skate shoes I found on Whiskey Militia for like 25 bucks. They're good when it's dry but bring the suck in the mud. I guess that's to be expected though regardless of what shoes you're riding in. I may try the 510s but the price tag made me think I'd try something else first and so far I'm okay riding in my cheapos. Plus, my shoes have AK47s on them, dood. I ride NYCFR "Glory Hole" pedals on my DJer and Kona Wahs on my Coiler.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have to consider some 5.10s and vans then just alternate for required purpose. My new locations means i will do a lot building and just hitting jumps etc no DH or shore.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've wondered about the 5.10's myself...been riding vans for years and I love the way the pins just insert themselves into the tread. They've been grippy enough that sometimes it's hard to move my foot...not sure I want something stickier than that.

Seems like with the 5.10 dot pattern the pins wouldn't sink in...also the 5.10 is climbing rubber, right? Seems like the pins would rip that up quick. Do they last? I get about a season out of vans but they're so cheap...

·
Banned
161 Posts
5.10's without a doubt...and if there is a doubt in ones mind...go watch Sam Hill mud or shine....

Otherwise I find Reefs flip-flops work pretty well, nice soft grip...and depending what model you have can crack a nice cold one or take a warm shot!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Personally, I've never liked Vans, because they have almost too much grip. They do wear out very quickly like another poster already stated, and you can definitely feel the pins through the soles on some of their shoes. Personally, I love my Osiris shoes. I've been using them for the last 4 years and they're still going strong. Go to a bmx forum and ask them, they usually go through shoes all of the time. I'm not sure about which ones work better in mud, although I do like the pins that screw in from the top rather than the bottom when things get wet and slippery. All that being said, shoes and pedals are obviously personal preference.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I had some vans that were wearing out and my pins were poking through (running syncros mental mags, incredibly grippy pedals). Now im using the marzocchi bomber shoes (sole, rubber, etc, as 5.10, just different styled upper). My god what a difference. Theres no more chatter when I go through rock gardens. My foot just stays were it was. Moving my foot is kind of a pain, but thats only ever a problem if I take my feet off in a rough section and then try and put it back on and miss. Infrequent to say the least. I have noticed I'm rolling the pedal more often now because the rubber grips so much better, but already i'm to the point where that almost never happens. I'm totally stoked I got the 5.10 rubber going.

Also, after about 3 weeks of riding, there showing 0 signs of wear on the rubber, and the same could not be said for the vans I've had

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Can't help you with the Vans-5.10 comparison, but my Nike 6.0 are worthless (for riding) compared to my 661 Descend Takis. I'm not talking just about the grip - the purposebuilt DH shoes offer so much more stability in the sole, and more protection all around (more padding, real tough toe-cap area). Big difference right there. Saved my bacon (well, feet, techncially), more than once...

·
Registered
875 Posts
dowst said:
Yes you can. 5.10.
Not for price you can't. Show me any store that will sell a pair of 5.10s for $40 (the price you can get a pair of Vans for).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.