Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the skareb super and it seems really hard. Is there any way to let air out to soften it up? the adjustments dont seem to do the whole trick. Where could I find a guide to this Fork?
 

·
Linoleum Knife
Joined
·
3,318 Posts
myke_w said:
I just picked up the skareb super and it seems really hard. Is there any way to let air out to soften it up? the adjustments dont seem to do the whole trick. Where could I find a guide to this Fork?
answerproducts.com/productmanuals.asp

You should be able to let air out to make it softer. The Super has the lockout, so make sure that is off first.

If this is your first air fork, you may want to purchase a hi pressure shock pump. You can get them for about $25, and they are well worth it in the long run - you don't have to run down to a shop to get your fork filled all the time.
 

·
otb club member
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
Hmmm. New fork, no manual?

myke_w said:
I just picked up the skareb super and it seems really hard. Is there any way to let air out to soften it up? the adjustments dont seem to do the whole trick. Where could I find a guide to this Fork?
Did you get this thing new? I can tell you about the '04 but haven't really done much with the previous years, although I'm sure it's similar. The air pressure IS your most basic adjustment. Manitou's guidline is to start at about 1/2 of your riding weight (body + gear). For me, that's about 150 Lbs, and 75 PSI is about right. As you can tell, a "high pressure" shock pump is not really needed for this fork, as a 300 LB gauge will not give you the most accurate readings in the range you'll be pumping the chamber to (a pump with a 200 PSI range would be better). The compression lever, as mentioned in another post, is another adjustment. All the way counter-clockwise is no additional compression damping. As the lever is turned clockwise, compression damping is increased until you are at the end of the adjustment, which is "lockout." Lockout only allows about 3mm of movement. The knob at the bottom of the right leg is your rebound knob and controls how fast your fork extends after being compressed.

The owner's manual and the service manual for the Skareb are both available online at the answer website, as mentioned by others....

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skareb fun

Thanks for your replies.
I am at a loss with this thing tho.
I had the shop put about 60 lbs in it, and when i turn it to lockout, it really doesnt make much difference. While im riding, it just sinks all the way down and seems to bottom out on anything even remotely resembling a bump. I tryed to contact support about it but that was a joke, i waited for an hour and they disconnected me. I have ridden older forks but nothing this snazzy yet, they were always at least soft, this thing almost seems like the spring is broken, its just clunking over any bumpo, even curbs are rattling my teeth.

It is an 04 and has spv, I assume im just missing somthing. It came on a bike that i bought used, but is in really new shape, so i wonder if i'm just overlooking somthing.
Perhaps its leaking the air out and needs a new seal? how could i find out?

thanks in advance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Wait is it a Platinum or a Super? The Platinum is the SPV version of the fork unless its some weird OEM version. You need to start by getting a shock pump and reading the pressure guids. Having a bike shop put air in it once is really not acceptable. Air forks require you to tweak them out as you ride until you find the right setting for you. The SPV side(right red cap) needs 20 to 60psi and the spring side (left blue cap or black in some models) requires 75% of your weight in psi for 80mm travel or 50% of it for the 100mm versions. The hollow clunking sound means the SPV chamber is either totally deflated or very low on air. You need to get that checked right away or it will get damaged. You can't run the SPV chamber with no air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the super model. It doesnt have spv. So I have no idea whats going on. It feels like its locked, i'm i am going to take it to the shop and have them rip it down and deal with it.
thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Have you tried turning the lockout off?

It's just a simple turn to set it on or off.
60lbs of air is probably enough if you weigh 100 lbs.
Get a pump and test out what works best for you.

myke_w said:
It is the super model. It doesnt have spv. So I have no idea whats going on. It feels like its locked, i'm i am going to take it to the shop and have them rip it down and deal with it.
thanks for the help
 

·
otb club member
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
You are confusing me...

myke_w said:
It is an 04 and has spv, I assume im just missing somthing. It came on a bike that i bought used, but is in really new shape, so i wonder if i'm just overlooking somthing.
Perhaps its leaking the air out and needs a new seal? how could i find out?
myke_w said:
It is the super model. It doesnt have spv. So I have no idea whats going on. It feels like its locked, i'm i am going to take it to the shop and have them rip it down and deal with it.
thanks for the help
SPV or not? There is an OEM Super with SPV on some of the Giants (someone on this board pointed this out and I've since seen it). However, I don't think there is any Skareb with SPV and a Lockout lever (it's either one or the other on the right fork leg).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Skareb and air pressure

I have a skareb elite (no SPV, no lockout), but for what its worth, I run it at about 150 lbs, even though they recommend about 100 (its a 100mm travel fork and I weigh about 200). (This is without the firm ride kit which I have just ordered). Anyway, try adding a bunch more air...also there may be an air leak (which is easily fixed).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Chris2fur said:
SPV or not? There is an OEM Super with SPV on some of the Giants (someone on this board pointed this out and I've since seen it). However, I don't think there is any Skareb with SPV and a Lockout lever (it's either one or the other on the right fork leg).
Yup, my NRS 1 has the Skareb Super SPV (no lockout). I can't find a specific manual or user guide for this "combo" anywhere. Who ever made this configuration (ie Giant?) should publish something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
sajko said:
Yup, my NRS 1 has the Skareb Super SPV (no lockout). I can't find a specific manual or user guide for this "combo" anywhere. Who ever made this configuration (ie Giant?) should publish something!
It says Super but what you have is a Platinum. It seems some Supers had the dampers upgraded later on to SPV. All it takes to make a super a platinum is changing the damper, the rest is identical so thats what you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
If the fork is bottom out and the lockout doesn't work. It seems like you have a blown out seal in a rebound assembly that leaked oil to the lower chamber. If your fork is a 2004 model and you contact Manintou, they'll send you the parts for fixing it.

From my experience, I had better support by contacting them by filling out a form on their website and emailing back and forth when they get back to you.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hecubus said:
It says Super but what you have is a Platinum. It seems some Supers had the dampers upgraded later on to SPV. All it takes to make a super a platinum is changing the damper, the rest is identical so thats what you have.
Thanks.

So I went to the garage to tinker. On the left side of the fork, they say pressurize to 75% of my weight. So at 250 lbs that's 188. Bike shop set it at 150 for me. Should I boost it up a bit?

As for the SPV. Everywhere I read says use 30-100psi. On the fork is says 20-60psi. Using the 30-40% of my weight, taking 30%, that's 75psi (which is greater than 60)! It was set on 35 so i raised it to 40 for my next ride.

I have an NRS 1. If I set it to spec (front and rear), I assume I would have a "hardtail-like fast bike" ready to move. So if I wanted a more leisurely softer ride for a longer trek, I just reduce the air in both front and rear downward... How far downward? Low enough so that it is cushy yet never bottoms out. How bad is it if either rear or forks bottom out?

Thanks.
Rookie trying off road while the TCR 2 gets a rest...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top